Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Poor Spotify Sound Quality .......................

I have been a Spotify Premium user ever Since MOG went under.... I liked MOG a lot, Spotify had a good catalog, but I have never been impressed with the Sound Quality of Spotify.

I have been listening to some Russian Jazz Stations on Tunein Radio that stream at 192 kbps. These stations sound far superior than anything I am getting from Spotify, which is streaming at the 320 Ogg...

Is there something I am doing wrong, or a setting that I have messed up? .... But all of my Spotify Music sounds Congested, Muffled and dim.....

I used to use Spotify Premium but haven't done so for some years.

What I found back then was that not all the albums were streamed at 320kbps even on a premium subscription. There was no way of telling from the Spotify interface what the bitrate was and only folk who happen to run a bandwidth utility on their computer would ever know (assuming they were listening via a computer). Having said that, Spotify were making inroads in increasing the percentage of their catalogue available at 320kbps - so I have no idea what the situation is now.

I mainly listen to classical music and Spotify has volume normalization on by default (though it can be switched off in the settings). This had a really dreadful effect on classical music, even though normalization is widely used for other genres.
    Touch, Meridian G92, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    I mainly listen to classical music and Spotify has volume normalization on by default (though it can be switched off in the settings). This had a really dreadful effect on classical music, even though normalization is widely used for other genres.
    Yes, I heard about this Volume setting, but cannot find it anymore despite googling it, and scouring the App.... Can you tell me how to get to this setting? Thanks.

This might be useful: https://support.spotify.com/uk/using...ity-streaming/

It also seems that Premium Subscribers have to switch on 320kbps streaming, otherwise they get 160kbps.
    Touch, Meridian G92, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Spotty plugin should give 320k already there is no exposed settings ? Is not premium a prerequisite to have any squeezebox integration .

Also LMS have a setting to lower the volume on streaming sources default is -5dB set this to 0 dB .
    Also turn of all volume levelling in LMS if your going to compare .

To get a real comparison use an album that you a have CD of and then find the same on Spotify and then compare .
    Try to find the same version and master ( that's probably impossible) I tried once with a live album by Eric Bibb that was recent and not a remaster or remix .
    It sounded the same as the CD to me .

That said I had experienced not so good SQ on Spotify in other cases . Reasons may vary .

Someone mentioned that not all their masters is that good .
    The record company migth done a bad job .

Also a radio station migth use a lot of EQ and multiband compression to get a fuller sound especially on a tabletop radio and similar .
    Crank up the volume on Spotify and use on a real hifi ? Or you simply prefer the radio station sound ?
    This is not impossible as we mostly compare without reference to anything , do any of us really know how to record is supposed to sound ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I I forgot the UMG watermark that universal and its subsidiaries has embedded in all thier music it's audible in all music and especially classic it's not that subtle as it survives lower bitrates than we discuss here.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...rking-in-Tidal

https://www.mattmontag.com/music/uni...ible-watermark
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    Yes, I heard about this Volume setting, but cannot find it anymore despite googling it, and scouring the App.... Can you tell me how to get to this setting? Thanks.
    Open Spotify on a computer, go to Settings under your user name,scroll down to Music Quality

Name:  aaspotcutthroat.png
Views: 199
Size:  144.2 KB

then open the Advanced Settings

Name:  aaspotcutthroat1.png
Views: 198
Size:  172.4 KB

Scroll down to PlayBack

Name:  aaspotcutthroat2.png
Views: 199
Size:  175.0 KB

Ronnie
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2017-09-08 at 00:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Spotty plugin should give 320k already there is no exposed settings ? Is not premium a prerequisite to have any squeezebox integration .
    Also LMS have a setting to lower the volume on streaming sources default is -5dB set this to 0 dB .

Name:  aaspotcutthroat3.png
Views: 208
Size:  50.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Open Spotify on a computer, go to Settings under your user name,scroll down to Music Quality

Ronnie

Thanks Much Van Man!