Hi-Def Audio 24bit 96 khz Playback - How to achieve it?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnB
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by garym
    Putting squeezelite on a Rasberry Pi these days is about a $30 or so proposition and there are threads with step by step instructions that an 8 year old could follow.
    Damnit! I was toying with the idea of building a Rasperry Pi player but now I have to find an 8 year old to help me with it.
    Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 10, iPad 4, iPeng.

Comment

• Man in a van
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by JohnB
      Damnit! I was toying with the idea of building a Rasperry Pi player but now I have to find an 8 year old to help me with it.

just grab the next one that comes along to sweep the chimm....in..nee

Click image for larger version

Name:	chimmney1399917438.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1563283

Comment

• Rocketman3
        • Apr 2012

Haha! JohnB! I was going to make exactly that joke but you beat me to it!
        More seriously, thank you to each and every one of you for helping guide me through this sticky labyrinth. You're great guys and I sincerely appreciate you sharing your knowledge & experience with me. Cheers!

Rocketman.
        Rocketman

Rocketman, Rocketman2 and now Rocketman3 too.
        [N.B. the forum doesn't recognises my old passwords nor sends me a reset so I have to create new accounts periodically]

Comment

• Rocketman3
          • Apr 2012

A cheaper solution still?

A footnote:

I might have cracked another way around this problem that will only cost a couple of quid! (that's about three dollars currently I think!).
          I have a Samsung 'smart' TV right next to my hi-fi. It can 'see' the LMS server over it's wired network connection. The TV has an audio optical out. See where I'm going with this?
          If (big huge IF) the LMS sees my Samsung TV and has any sort of understanding of it, then maybe (?) it will send my 24/96 recordings straight to it unmolested/un-downsampled, for me to take the Toslink feed from the TV to the DACMagic. If so, then I can get my hi-def music to play for the price of a 2 meter long Toslink cable - the £2 I mentioned before.

I will report back on how I get on with this undertaking. If the LMS decides to downsample to the TV I can always use the Toslink cable to make a primitive noose and try to hang myself with it. No - that's not the attitude: I have faith!

Cheers

RM.
          Rocketman

[N.B. the forum doesn't recognises my old passwords nor sends me a reset so I have to create new accounts periodically]

Comment

• toby10
            • Jul 2007

You'll have to check with Samsung specs, maybe it will. But I wouldn't be surprised if the TV's optical out is limited to 24/48 (24/96 downsampled).

Comment

• garym
              • May 2008

And as DLNA it will not likely be gapless.
              Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
              Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
              Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
              The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
              Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
              Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Rocketman3
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by toby10
                You'll have to check with Samsung specs, maybe it will. But I wouldn't be surprised if the TV's optical out is limited to 24/48 (24/96 downsampled).
                Ugh!
                You were right. The Samsung Smart TV (which cost £2k) cannot deal with sampling rates above 48Mhz. Incidentally, a bug in the FLAC codec implementation means it cuts off dead the last 10 seconds of every song. That's what I call attention to detail - NOT. Samsung do have the best TV pictures IMHO which is why I'd buy them after all, but all the software in them is s**t.

A last desperate question: if (big IF) I go the Raspberry Pi route, do I need to start with a Pi 3 or will an earlier version work as well? Also, what sort of external memory card capacity will I need to create my Duet receiver lookalike? I suppose really I'm asking if there are any guides anywhere on how to do this Pi work?

Cheers
                Rocketman

Comment

• Julf
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rocketman3
                  A last desperate question: if (big IF) I go the Raspberry Pi route, do I need to start with a Pi 3 or will an earlier version work as well? Also, what sort of external memory card capacity will I need to create my Duet receiver lookalike? I suppose really I'm asking if there are any guides anywhere on how to do this Pi work?
                  The earlier versions are fine unless you need to run it as a server doing heavy resampling for multiple players. Lots or RPi guides on the net, but I guess you want something specifically for LMS streaming. Suggest you go for one of the ready-made packages.
                  "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Comment

• Apesbrain
                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Rocketman3
                    I suppose really I'm asking if there are any guides anywhere on how to do this Pi work?
                    Guide: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...iFiBerry-board

Parts list: https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/w...shlist_lists_4
                    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2017-09-13, 14:59.

Comment

• iPhone
                      • Oct 2007

Oh sure, after I spend 3 days scouring the Pi Forums and searching Amazon, NOW you repost this after I placed my order 3 days ago. Parts came to the door last night. Now, which OS to use?
                      iPhone
                      Media Room:
                      ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
                      Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
                      Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
                      Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
                      Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
                      Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
                      Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
                      Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• Apesbrain
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by iPhone
                        Now, which OS to use?
                        If your intent is to use it solely for LMS (player/server), there's nothing better than piCorePlayer:
                        Access Google Sites with a personal Google account or Google Workspace account (for business use).

Comment

• Rocketman3
                          • Apr 2012

Lost reply

Hi
                          I swear I replied here once but it seems to have been vanished.
                          Just to follow up - the Samsung does indeed downgrade to 48Mhz, so I'm thoroughly snookered there. In search of a silver lining, at least I can get digital audio quality from my TV now

Cheers!
                          Rocketman

Comment

• c3p0
                            • Oct 2008

Use the small pizero w to try

Hi try purchasing the pizero w first much lower cost just to prove the concept will work for you before splashing out on Pi plus dac solution.
                            You can even by a cheap zero dac if you want to hear the music, or even a cheap USB dac (these little USB plug audio devices about 2.99 on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Headse...4AAOSwGzxZfH~y)

Down load picoreplayer to sd card, load on pizero w, use a USB hub with Ethernet to connect to micro c port and gain access to picoreplayer to setup wifi.

Doing this allows you to use 5yr olds instead...........

Comment

• JohnB
                              • Jul 2009

Thanks for the advice, I will look into it.

I already have a backup Touch in storage but I will probably try out the Rasp Pi or your suggestion.

(I already have a decent DAC so I would just need the S/PDIF out.)
                              Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 10, iPad 4, iPeng.

Comment

Working...