Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi-Def Audio 24bit 96 khz Playback - How to achieve it?

Hi!

I have a Squeezebox Duet and a LMS running on my Windows 10 PC. I have some 24bit 96 khz FLAC files that I'd dearly love to play. I understand the DAC in the Duet receiver isn't up to it, but I have the optical out from the Duet into a Cambridge Audio DACMagic digital to analogue convertor, and then into my amplifier. When I play the 24bit 96 khz files they are downsampled by the server to 48khz (and I assume still 24 bit). Having read around it a lot - and I do mean a LOT, there is a convert.conf file that I have experimented with to try to resolve the issue. When I managed to create a setting in which SOX 'converted' (since it seemed intent on it) the file from 96 to 96, I did get audio coming out of the DACMagic - but it was playing at half speed. I tried using the 'speed' flag in sox but that resulted in no sound at all.

What I'm hoping for is some sort of solution that will allow my 24bit 96 khz files to reach the Duet receiver unmolested, such that the optical out can feed the signal to a DAC that is up to the job of playing 96khz files. My main theory is that there might be a setting for convert.conf that will allow this, but despite a lot of experiments, I haven't been able to fathom it.

Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that this IS possible, and share the secret runes with me that make it a reality? Thank you in advance!!

Regards

Rocketman.
    Rocketman

Rocketman, Rocketman2 and now Rocketman3 too.
    [N.B. the forum doesn't recognises my old passwords nor sends me a reset so I have to create new accounts periodically]

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman3 View Post
    Hi!

I have a Squeezebox Duet and a LMS running on my Windows 10 PC. I have some 24bit 96 khz FLAC files that I'd dearly love to play. I understand the DAC in the Duet receiver isn't up to it, but I have the optical out from the Duet into a Cambridge Audio DACMagic digital to analogue convertor, and then into my amplifier. When I play the 24bit 96 khz files they are downsampled by the server to 48khz (and I assume still 24 bit). Having read around it a lot - and I do mean a LOT, there is a convert.conf file that I have experimented with to try to resolve the issue. When I managed to create a setting in which SOX 'converted' (since it seemed intent on it) the file from 96 to 96, I did get audio coming out of the DACMagic - but it was playing at half speed. I tried using the 'speed' flag in sox but that resulted in no sound at all.

What I'm hoping for is some sort of solution that will allow my 24bit 96 khz files to reach the Duet receiver unmolested, such that the optical out can feed the signal to a DAC that is up to the job of playing 96khz files. My main theory is that there might be a setting for convert.conf that will allow this, but despite a lot of experiments, I haven't been able to fathom it.

Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that this IS possible, and share the secret runes with me that make it a reality? Thank you in advance!!

Regards

Rocketman.
    sorry. Not possible with the duet receiver.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    sorry. Not possible with the duet receiver.
    Could you be a little more informative? Why exactly is it 'not possible'? I have read around it extensively and it seems that it should be. The LMS actively downsamples under software control. The DAC in the Duet receiver isn't up to handling 96khz but it certainly seems able to receive it. So, if I take the streamout as a pass through via the optical link (rather than expecting the Duet receiver to make audio from it) and handle it externally as described, it should work. So why exactly do you say otherwise please?

RM
    Rocketman

[N.B. the forum doesn't recognises my old passwords nor sends me a reset so I have to create new accounts periodically]

Could you be a little more informative? Why exactly is it 'not possible'? I have read around it extensively and it seems that it should be.
    IIRC The hardware does not support speeds above 48kbps.

The digital out is also limited to 48kHz it's not really the DAC either it's the weak processor and firmware in the duet reciver that is the limit the "computer board" can't output anything more than 24/48 to DAC or digital out who probably are capable of more .

Solution 1 let SoX do it's job unmolested no fuzzing with convert conf, the squeezebox system is naturally setup to transcode to the max of the players resolution in this case 24/48 .
    Which is not really a "limitation" other than in ones mind .....

Solution 2 get a raspi3 and a hifi berry digi + install picore player a squeezebox/Squeezelite solution and more .24/192 readily aviable . Conect to your DAC of choice .

Solution 3 equip the same rpi3 with a DAC for example hifi berry or some other of the plentiful alternatives .

The controller can still be used to control a new squeezebox if your fond of that interface .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    The digital out is also limited to 48kHz it's not really the DAC either it's the weak processor and firmware in the duet reciver that is the limit the "computer board" can't output anything more than 24/48 to DAC or digital out who probably are capable of more .

Solution 1 let SoX do it's job unmolested no fuzzing with convert conf, the squeezebox system is naturally setup to transcode to the max of the players resolution in this case 24/48 .

Solution 2 get a raspi3 and a hifi berry digi + install picore player a squeezebox/Squeezelite solution and more .24/192 readily aviable . Conect to your DAC of choice .

Solution 3 equip the same rpi3 with a DAC for example hifi berry or some other of the plentiful alternatives .

The controller can still be used to control a new squeezebox if your fond of that interface .
    solution 4 - get a used Squeezebox Touch

solution 5 - get a used Transporter
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

8 conect an USB DAC to the rpi3 .

And 9-infinity, the Squeezelite player can run on almost any computer hardware imaginable .

There are a lot of palm sized mini computers besides raspberry that can act as endpoints.

The strength of the system is the LMS server and its various interfaces for phones tablets and web interfaces and touch screens ( for the dyi minded you can build new touch screen devices ) and the old controller if you got one working.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Another option: any certified DVD player will play 24/96 from its analog outs. Google "lplex".

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post

Hello Everyone!

Thank you all for your richly detailed alternatives! But one question remains. If I got alternative and more capable hardware, be it a Reaspberry Pi or a Touch for example, wouldn't I still have the issue of the server transcoding down before the data even left the server? So I would still need to 'molest' the LMS in some unknown techy way, no?

RM
    Rocketman

Hello Everyone!

Thank you all for your richly detailed alternatives! But one question remains. If I got alternative and more capable hardware, be it a Reaspberry Pi or a Touch for example, wouldn't I still have the issue of the server transcoding down before the data even left the server? So I would still need to 'molest' the LMS in some unknown techy way, no?

RM
    No, LMS knows that the touch or squeezelite on the Pi can handle 24/96 and will send it that stream unaltered.