Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Correct, never met a dlna playback device that is as satisfying to use as an LMS end point. Add the colour touchscreen and numerous android/iPhone apps and it's game over, frankly. Win for the squeezeboxes.

As for sound quality, I'm extremely happy with my SBT, Mytek DAC and Supernait amp combo. (I stopped using the built-in DAC on the Supernait because the mytek sounds subtlely different, in a good way, to me.)

I demoed the Cyrus amps but found them not to my tastes, and I've never really liked a Marantz amp long enough to put the batteries in the remote.. but they are all options which may work for you.. or may not! I demoed the NAD D7050 too. I think Arcam and Cambridge Audio may well also have digital amps, as do a few other brands.

For reference I could not hear any difference in audio quality using the same setup fed digital data from a Chromecast audio, but that's obvious: sound character is determined in the analogue domain. I prefer the SBT as a digital source however.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Another thougth active speakers ? Or active digital speakers ? Provided one can find speakers that otherwise satisfy taste and acoustiscs . Important caveat the xover should be digital or analog before the amps showing the amp in the speaker box and still have a passive filter does not make them active in my book.

Removing passive filters firms up the impulse response and removes distortion , there are tons of weird artefacts with passive filters . And does a lot of other good things .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post

For reference I could not hear any difference in audio quality using the same setup fed digital data from a Chromecast audio, but that's obvious: sound character is determined in the analogue domain. I prefer the SBT as a digital source however.
    Then, we're coming back to my point : Should I buy a transporter, that I could use as the digital source and the DAC, or use a SBT as a digital source with a recent external DAC, such as this one Rotel RDD-1580 not too pricey, with a good amp, like the cambridge cxa60 or the Rega Brio ?
    LMS 7.9.0
    on Linux Mageia 5 and RPI 3
    1 SB3, 2 radio, 1 touch
    Plugins : Trackstat, Smartmix, MusicIP, ...

Active speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Another thougth active speakers ? Or active digital speakers ? Provided one can find speakers that otherwise satisfy taste and acoustiscs . Important caveat the xover should be digital or analog before the amps showing the amp in the speaker box and still have a passive filter does not make them active in my book.

Removing passive filters firms up the impulse response and removes distortion , there are tons of weird artefacts with passive filters . And does a lot of other good things .
    I've recently acquired some Fostex active speakers which will connect to the Transporter's balanced XLR outputs off eBay seriously cheaply to provide my 2 daughters (& their husbands) with their 1st music systems. They really tick all the boxes, minimal cabling, significant adjustability (they'll move several times, no way to predict room size/acoustic properties) & cheap to use (Class D amplifiers in-built).

That's 2 of my 4 Transporters spoken for (the 2 unused SE's I imported from CA): I'm left with an all-black Logitech original I got off eBay for £450, & the trusty s/hand Slim Devices branded one I bought s/hand 8 years ago which is still going like a train - it's silver, but there wasn't much going s/hand in 2009.

The Fostex speakers, now discontinued after only 2 years - hence bargain prices, are a bit light at the bottom end (but they're tiny!), so I've also bought some of the current Fostex 5" sub-woofers (which run simultaneously off the Transporter's unbalanced RCA phono outputs) which are also tiny, but do a passably good job of filling in the bottom end.

Total system cost (including stands for monitors & sub-woofers) - around £1500 each. I don't think you could get a better sound for the money - & all of this kit is unused...

Dave

P.S. I thought that I might entrust them with my off-site backups of my 6500 albums, lol...
    Last edited by Golden Earring; 2017-09-07 at 16:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoniop View Post
    Then, we're coming back to my point : Should I buy a transporter, that I could use as the digital source and the DAC, or use a SBT as a digital source with a recent external DAC
    I am a long-time user of the Transporter, and am very happy with it. It sounds fabulous.

BUT: if it ever dies, I will not be looking to replace it. The TP is a legacy product that still performs well, but there are cheaper alternatives easily available these days. A Raspberry Pi running Squeezelite feeding a decent external DAC will provide equally good sound quality.

The only reason I can think of why anyone would want to get a TP these days would be if they happen to like its look.

And regarding the "knob or no knob" question: the knob is a great big white elephant and serves no purpose in day-to-day use. BUT: The blanking plug on the TP SE looks like a cheap piece of plastic, and frankly I think it spoils the look. (But bear in mind I've only seen photos of the TP SE, never seen one in the flesh). So if you're going to buy a TP for the aesthetics (and IMO there is no other reason to get one), then you need one with the knob, otherwise the aesthetics are ruined.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    I am a long-time user of the Transporter, and am very happy with it. It sounds fabulous.

BUT: if it ever dies, I will not be looking to replace it. The TP is a legacy product that still performs well, but there are cheaper alternatives easily available these days. A Raspberry Pi running Squeezelite feeding a decent external DAC will provide equally good sound quality.

The only reason I can think of why anyone would want to get a TP these days would be if they happen to like its look.

And regarding the "knob or no knob" question: the knob is a great big white elephant and serves no purpose in day-to-day use. BUT: The blanking plug on the TP SE looks like a cheap piece of plastic, and frankly I think it spoils the look. (But bear in mind I've only seen photos of the TP SE, never seen one in the flesh). So if you're going to buy a TP for the aesthetics (and IMO there is no other reason to get one), then you need one with the knob, otherwise the aesthetics are ruined.
    You're perfectly right : I like the look and knowing it's an old piece of technology pleases me too. But it's not really a reasonable choice in your opinion, moreover at 1000 $. I agree with you about the look of the SE : it looks like a cheap piece of plastic, at least on the pictures.
    LMS 7.9.0
    1 SB3, 2 radio, 1 touch

Then, we're coming back to my point : Should I buy a transporter, that I could use as the digital source and the DAC, or use a SBT as a digital source with a recent external DAC, such as this one Rotel RDD-1580 not too pricey, with a good amp, like the cambridge cxa60 or the Rega Brio ?
    Well exactly, buy the TP if you just like its look or you want to use its analogue stages, but I wouldn't buy one just as a digital source. If you're just looking for a digital source you already have one..

--
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Cost of Transporter with knob

You're perfectly right : I like the look and knowing it's an old piece of technology pleases me too. But it's not really a reasonable choice in your opinion, moreover at 1000 $. I agree with you about the look of the SE : it looks like a cheap piece of plastic, at least on the pictures.
    Hi Antoniop!

I paid around £800 for my silver Slim Devices Transporter (with silver buttons. lol) back in 2009, when it was still a current product.

BUT, I recently snared a newer all-black Logitech-branded one in perfect condition (& still made in the US!) on eBay for £450, although I did have to exercise a lot of patience because they don't show up often, although they're not as hard to come by as the Pathos Acoustics Endorphin CD Player I just made a 500 mile round trip to collect (the vendor doesn't have any music streaming system at all, & is inexplicably reverting to vinyl. Arnyk would NOT be impressed, lol... )

The eBay.com vendor asking $1000 for his unused model is shooting the moon IMHO: it's simply NOT worth that much...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    The eBay.com vendor asking $1000 for his unused model is shooting the moon IMHO: it's simply NOT worth that much...
    Hi Dave, I suppose they're asking $1000 because it was the price when it was still current product !
    Could be worse, there's a new touch at 800€ for sale !
    Yes it's a bit too much.
    BTW, nice piece of technology, this Pathos Acoustics Endorphin CD Player. I love the name !
    LMS 7.9.0
    1 SB3, 2 radio, 1 touch

S/hand vs. new...

Hi Dave, I suppose they're asking $1000 because it was the price when it was still current product !
    Could be worse, there's a new touch at 800€ for sale !
    Yes it's a bit too much.
    BTW, nice piece of technology, this Pathos Acoustics Endorphin CD Player. I love the name !
    Hi Antoniop!

Most of my gear is s/hand: realistically, as soon as you take a new bit of kit out of the box, you've flushed half of the purchase price down the toilet (with a few significant exceptions - the B&W 805S speakers I was forced to buy new, simply because there weren't any s/hand items available at the time, are still selling at 80% of the price I paid - after INSISTING on a 15% discount. The salesman, who hadn't got any to demo to me asked me slightly desperately if I wouldn't like to hear them first - so I told him that my hearing was shot but that my significant other liked the shape of them. He was then so far off his script that he caved in & gave me the 15% off, lol... ).

And the mean time between failures for solid-state devices is around 100,000 hours!

You can get an "as-new" Touch, complete with all original packaging, for around £200 on eBay if you decide to go for that...

Dave

P.S. The infamous Ken Kessler himself began by deriding the "Endorphin" name, then listened to the beast & declared it his new reference player - it really does sound even better than its "sexiest CD player in the universe" looks