Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Buying a transporter these days

I'm a music lover for a long time, but I never spent too much money on it. I only have an old, but quite good, Denon HIFI amplifier, with a pair of honest speakers from a little french maker (today disappeared), connected to a touch.
    I decided to buy some new hifi and put some money in it. I want to buy a new amp (with integrated DAC or not), eventually an external DAC and a pair of good speakers. Maybe later I'll buy a vinyl turntable. I've got a lot of CDs (about 600) and a decent CD player but I mostly listen the music from LMS.
    I'm thinking about buying a transporter as an external DAC and music streamer, do you think it can be a good choice these days ?
    I'm sure there are many other options, cheaper and newer. I'm fan of all the logitech squeeze products, they're all well integrated with LMS, very good quality and sound, excellent ergonomics, but I wouldn't like to buy something too expensive for it's quality, compared to what I could get for about the same price these days.
    I saw some new units on ebay, at 999 dollars and some also new but without transnav knob for 499 $ (that's a big difference for only a knob, isn't it ? is it worth ?)
    I would have the same budget (1000 $) for the amplifier and same for the speakers (1000 $), clearly I don't want to spend more money for the all configuration and I'll certainly not spend 300 $ in cables (just to make clear), so 1000 is a lot for a DAC maybe ? If you wanted to buy a new configuration, would go to a transporter ?

Thanks for your advice and sorry for my poor english
    LMS 7.9.0
    on Linux Mageia 5 and RPI 3
    1 SB3, 2 radio, 1 touch
    Plugins : Trackstat, Smartmix, MusicIP, ...

If you really want a Transporter, at $499 it's not a bad deal. The knob part was discontinued so that's why those versions sell for so much more. If you primarily control your SB player via the remote, or via PC/app, the knob is not necessary. In any case, it's not worth $500 more! Transporter is a very fine machine even against today's options. Just be aware that it does not have color display and it is limited to 24/96 PCM should that matter to you.

In your situation, I'd probably keep the Touch and play around with an external DAC; either the one in your new amp or a separate box. The Touch is a good player as is and maybe made better with a new DAC. I run one of mine into the optical digital input of a NAD D 3020 and am very happy with this solution.

Check these out:
    https://nadelectronics.com/product/c...dac-amplifier/

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    If you really want a Transporter, at $499 it's not a bad deal. The knob part was discontinued so that's why those versions sell for so much more. If you primarily control your SB player via the remote, or via PC/app, the knob is not necessary. In any case, it's not worth $500 more! Transporter is a very fine machine even against today's options. Just be aware that it does not have color display and it is limited to 24/96 PCM should that matter to you.

In your situation, I'd probably keep the Touch and play around with an external DAC; either the one in your new amp or a separate box. The Touch is a good player as is and maybe made better with a new DAC. I run one of mine into the optical digital input of a NAD D 3020 and am very happy with this solution.

Check these out:
    Yes, after posting, I saw the posts about the SE, clearly it would be a better option, even if I like the big knob .
    I don't care about the color display and I'm not convinced about 24/96.
    But keeping (well, I'll keep it anyway) the touch an put a bit more money on the rest is not bad too. Interesting products these Nads, thanks !
    LMS 7.9.0
    1 SB3, 2 radio, 1 touch

There's a few digital amps around not many. V1 Naim Supernait, DAC v1/NAP100 power amp combo, Cyrus 6, 8 and up come with built in DAC options, there's a Marantz digital amp, and probably a few others. Oddly the genre does not seem to have caught on, unless in conjunction with AV features. Though I doubt they will be in your options list.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    There's a few digital amps around not many. V1 Naim Supernait, DAC v1/NAP100 power amp combo, Cyrus 6, 8 and up come with built in DAC options, there's a Marantz digital amp, and probably a few others. Oddly the genre does not seem to have caught on, unless in conjunction with AV features. Though I doubt they will be in your options list.
    What do you use then, to have the best sound to listen to your favorite music from your LMS library ?
    I see a list of hardware, but I don't see how they fit together.
    LMS 7.9.0
    1 SB3, 2 radio, 1 touch

Rip your CD's to 16/44.1 FLAC files and save the investment of a CD player .
    You can now listen to your CD's via LMS and your squeezebox touch .

If your stereo also is in your TV room and you get a DAC with multiple digital inputs or an amp with multiple digital inputs just use your dvd or blueray for the occasional CD spin if you have not ripped them yet .

And the CD player budget can go amp or speakers .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

What he said. ^^ The ripping part is a pain in the ass but once done it's done. I have an offboard DAC for my SBT going to a stereo amplifier for music playback, which also is fed front left/right signals from an AV amp for TV/film duties. Best of both worlds.

--
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

What he said. ^^ The ripping part is a pain in the ass but once done it's done.
    Exactly, I'm proud to rip myself my own CDs using the best accurate rip software.
    I already got a decent CD player, and don't intend to change it, Mnyb, thanks for the suggestion anyway
    I have an offboard DAC for my SBT going to a stereo amplifier for music playback, which also is fed front left/right signals from an AV amp for TV/film duties. Best of both worlds.

Is it good enough ? aren't we in the audiophile section of the forum ?
    What stereo amplifier do you have ?
    If you all have the touch, maybe I don't need the transporter after all.
    I had a look to the digital amps you mentioned DrMatt, they're not cheap and not very recent, although certainly excellent.
    Is anybody using one of the recent amplifiers with dlna capabilities ?
    LMS 7.9.0
    1 SB3, 2 radio, 1 touch

Quote Originally Posted by Antoniop View Post
    Is anybody using one of the recent amplifiers with dlna capabilities ?
    Once you have used LMS, dlna is simply awful as a streaming approach.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I think the black SE looks better without the knob.