Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Router help..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    My approach is to use the ISP router only for the connection to the ISP and then run one cable from that router to one of mine.
    One benefit is that I can switch ISP with almost no fuss.
    I have ISP router and mine on different subnets.
    good idea. So is that just an Ethernet cable joining together..

Just to make it clear my concerns are not with Any ISPs...(There all a rip off and there seems no loyalty as an existing customer gets little reward..it seems change to another ISP every year. You wouldn't get married and have an affair every year, although some folk may!.I appreciate theres a need for competition ..but at the end of the day it all comes down the same wires(unless you with Virgin/cable)...

as for "you get what you pay for" BT Charge quite a lot..yet when the new BT SMART HUB-6 came out, I can remember many folk on here getting to sync with there SBT etc...

Anyway toys out of Cot done. Just wanted to know how easy it was (or is not) to use another router....maybe its just best to stick with what they give you.

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    good idea. So is that just an Ethernet cable joining together..

Just to make it clear my concerns are not with Any ISPs...(There all a rip off and there seems no loyalty as an existing customer gets little reward..it seems change to another ISP every year. You wouldn't get married and have an affair every year, although some folk may!.I appreciate theres a need for competition ..but at the end of the day it all comes down the same wires(unless you with Virgin/cable)...

as for "you get what you pay for" BT Charge quite a lot..yet when the new BT SMART HUB-6 came out, I can remember many folk on here getting to sync with there SBT etc...

Anyway toys out of Cot done. Just wanted to know how easy it was (or is not) to use another router....maybe its just best to stick with what they give you.
    Thats just not true there are good ISP's (Zen for example ) They charge slightly more, though looking at the adverts not too much.
    and there are bad ISP's BT, Sky and TalkTalk.

Zen do not restrict your modem/router choice and supply a much better than average Fritz!Box 7490 (I think) added to this they will give you fixed IP addreses (For usefull for VPN's and hosting servers)
    Talk talk do not seem to have a problem with different M/R's although you'd better be able to diagnose and correct problems on it. Also with the mainstream ISP's you better pray you don't need to talk to support !

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...y-which-survey
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2017-09-05 at 09:41. Reason: added url
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezePlayer,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: 7.9.1 - 1503129892 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud
    Remotes: iPeng8/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite
    Music: 383GB,1269 albums 17756 songs 4381 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

[QUOTE=Jeff07971;893867]Thats just not true there are good ISP's (Zen for example ) They charge slightly more, though looking at the adverts not too much.

Great Info..thats what I love about this Forum you learn So Much.Never heard of Zen Will look into them. Your spot on with Support there all poor.To be honest though I got a great deal with Sky, 12 Months With Q box, Fibre (25gb cap) and anytime free calls for £11.00 ! a month all in. The TVs already cancelled.(so I dont pay over £60 ).

[QUOTE=daleyb;893869]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Thats just not true there are good ISP's (Zen for example ) They charge slightly more, though looking at the adverts not too much.

Great Info..thats what I love about this Forum you learn So Much.Never heard of Zen Will look into them. Your spot on with Support there all poor.To be honest though I got a great deal with Sky, 12 Months With Q box, Fibre (25gb cap) and anytime free calls for £11.00 ! a month all in. The TVs already cancelled.(so I dont pay over £60 ).
    25GB Cap !!!! Thats 2 days use for me and less than 24 hours for one of my friends !!
    Server: LMS Version: 7.9.1 - 1503129892 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320

[QUOTE=Jeff07971;893870]
    Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post

25GB Cap !!!! Thats 2 days use for me and less than 24 hours for one of my friends !!
    True, for many it would be.But for me its fine. Although in the future I suspect will download more films/music.
    (i did go over twice, lucky not within 6 months so sky didnt put price up to £30..)

Btw did a quick search on Zen...mixed reviews on: http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband...s/zen/reviews/

There again, reading any reviews about anything on the Internet is normally mixed and "one mans passion.." and all that jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post

Zen do not restrict your modem/router choice and supply a much better than average Fritz!Box 7490 (I think) added to this they will give you fixed IP addreses (For usefull for VPN's and hosting servers)
    Talk talk do not seem to have a problem with different M/R's although you'd better be able to diagnose and correct problems on it. Also with the mainstream ISP's you better pray you don't need to talk to support !

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...y-which-survey
    Zen here. As I posted earlier been with them 20+ years with only a handful of issues.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Zen Support is excellent. They have consistently won best business broadband provider awards.
    Their equivalent to Infinity 2 is £29.50 plus VAT per month. It's truly unlimited and slightly faster than BTs offering. Critically because it has fewer users per exchange it's contention ratio is normally excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Zen Support is excellent. They have consistently won best business broadband provider awards.
    Their equivalent to Infinity 2 is £29.50 plus VAT per month. It's truly unlimited and slightly faster than BTs offering. Critically because it has fewer users per exchange it's contention ratio is normally excellent.
    Thanks for all help and info

20 years is good enough proof for me. No more further questions (highly unlikely from me) Me lord !

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Zen here. As I posted earlier been with them 20+ years with only a handful of issues.
    20+ Years for one of my clients, No isuses at all

15+ Years as a residential customer 1 issue, (I remember it well, Rocking on my chair wimpering for four days !!!) BT came along to replace a pole and forgot to reconnect me ! so not even Zen's problem.

11+ Years for another client, no issues.

10+ years for a friend (residential) 1 issue, BT nicked their line ! (These are the 25GB+ a day ones) fixed in 1 day.

To be fair though Zen are quite expensive but its their reaction to a problem that counts

What are you really looking to achieve? I'm guessing here, but I'd guess what you're looking for most is very good _wireless_ connectivity in your home. Is that correct?

I don't have a personal recommendation, as I use only an ancient 802.11g router for myself that just feeds my Squeezeboxes (and does so extremely well). But to answer your question, adding a second wireless router "behind" your ISP's router is usually very easy. Typically, you'd just configure your wireless router as a wireless access point on your network. That takes only a few minor settings changes that can be done by anyone. Or, you can simply buy wireless access point, but they're far less common and may be more expensive.

As to your connection speed to the internet - fibre vs. a slower wire connection - your internet connection speed will have _nothing_ to do how good your wifi connection is around the house. Not unless it's so slow than it hampers _any_ connection (wired or wireless) in the house.