Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Router help..

Router help..

Hi folks hope all is well.

Renewing mt ISP/Broadband provider shortly.Been with Sky..now thinking of Talk Talk.The only thing putting me off (apart from poor Cust. Service from them-well thats with them all really!) ..is there routers are poor.(again most ISP ROUTERS ARE PRETTY POOR)...anyway...any recommendations welcome . Looking at the web: AVM Fritz!box seem good and more well known names Tplink ; netgear etc...

I use Fibre..but to be honest Iam the only user in the House (Lucky ,me) ..So I could just go for Standard. Snail pace...but want a good signal around my pad esp. upstairs where my SBT SITS via ethernet.

All advice warmly welcome (BTW: Iam U.K. based)

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Hi folks hope all is well.

Renewing mt ISP/Broadband provider shortly.Been with Sky..now thinking of Talk Talk.The only thing putting me off (apart from poor Cust. Service from them-well thats with them all really!) ..is there routers are poor.(again most ISP ROUTERS ARE PRETTY POOR)...anyway...any recommendations welcome . Looking at the web: AVM Fritz!box seem good and more well known names Tplink ; netgear etc...

I use Fibre..but to be honest Iam the only user in the House (Lucky ,me) ..So I could just go for Standard. Snail pace...but want a good signal around my pad esp. upstairs where my SBT SITS via ethernet.

All advice warmly welcome (BTW: Iam U.K. based)
    To be clear, Are you asking for advice on ISP's or Routers ?
    Most of the big ISP's do not support or do not allow 3rd party routers.
    Some can be difficult or impossible to setup due to some of the authentification systems they use.
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezePlayer,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: 7.9.1 - 1503129892 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud
    Remotes: iPeng8/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite
    Music: 383GB,1269 albums 17756 songs 4381 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    To be clear, Are you asking for advice on ISP's or Routers ?
    Most of the big ISP's do not support or do not allow 3rd party routers.
    Some can be difficult or impossible to setup due to some of the authentification systems they use.
    This is so.

If you use a different router from the default one supplied by the ISP and experience problems of any sort, you will have to reconnect the supplied router, check if the fault still exists and then make your complaint.

Some ISP might supply only a modem and allow your own router, you will have to ask.

Ronnie
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2017-09-04 at 12:32. Reason: spelin, can't be bother 'baht t'grammer

My approach is to use the ISP router only for the connection to the ISP and then run one cable from that router to one of mine.
    One benefit is that I can switch ISP with almost no fuss.
    I have ISP router and mine on different subnets.

If you don't plan to use the ISP's router make sure they will give you the username and password to access their WAN connection. I have come across one that does not give it out for security reasons which would force you to use their rubbishy one.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I havent used ISP suplied routers for the last decade .

Get your username and passwords and other relevant stuff .

My ISP does not enforce this stuff even if they have something if you ask , they are actually quite keen on the oposite so they dont sell if dont really want one , they are not a hardware vendor and why should they be ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

This is very much a "you pay for what you get" area.

The mainstream domestic ISPs all operate in the same way.
    They keep costs down by providing you with a cheap router for nothing but one that they have preconfiured to support their package.

I have used a business grade ISP for 20+ years and Draytek routers for most of that time.
    I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times we have had any issues. Obviously the router cost me £150+ and the service isn't cheap. I consider it to be worth the money.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    I havent used ISP suplied routers for the last decade .

Get your username and passwords and other relevant stuff .

My ISP does not enforce this stuff even if they have something if you ask , they are actually quite keen on the oposite so they dont sell if dont really want one , they are not a hardware vendor and why should they be ?
    Make sure that they will give out the username and password before you take out a new contract though. They might have changed but last year Vodafone UK refused to give out the details. Check the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by kingswindsor View Post
    Make sure that they will give out the username and password before you take out a new contract though. They might have changed but last year Vodafone UK refused to give out the details. Check the forums.

If your ISP supplied router is a combined modem/router you can always use it in modem only mode and use any router you like.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    If your ISP supplied router is a combined modem/router you can always use it in modem only mode and use any router you like.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    +1 that also works fine , bridge it . Done that to bridged ISP combo box used my own for my network .

Btw wkat kind of suport do people expects . it's very few things that rarely go down in the conection between ISP and you, and they usually knows that at thier end ?

And your own lan and wifi and such are your bussines anyway ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html