Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Best way to sync (one way!) library TO piCorePlayer with USB HD

I am running pCP with LMS on one Pi, and have 2 other Pi running pCP as client only. Generally works well. One issue I have is that I still add to my music library on my Mac/PC, and would like to periodically push (or pull) the library to the Pi server.

Are there good and simple solutions for this?

Quote Originally Posted by tastewar View Post
    I am running pCP with LMS on one Pi, and have 2 other Pi running pCP as client only. Generally works well. One issue I have is that I still add to my music library on my Mac/PC, and would like to periodically push (or pull) the library to the Pi server.

I use FreeFileSync. It works well once you figure out the best settings.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

if you have samba enabled on the RPi that run LMS you could use something like Allways Sync.
    if you haven't enabled samba you can use something like winscp for mac.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Linux normally comes with rsync that does just what you need - not sure picoreplayer hasn't removed it.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Best way to sync (one way!) library TOpiCorePlayer with USB HD

> Linux normally comes with rsync that does just what you need - not sure
    > picoreplayer hasn't removed it.

It's available as an extension. Way to go.

--

Michael

I use WinSCP's sync command to synchronise files from my PC USB drive to various USB drives on piCorePlayers.

Once you set file permissions and file type it works great.

Thanks for the suggestions -- I have installed rsync on the pCP now. I'm hoping someone can point me to a set of instructions on how to configure it for my use case :-)

Short of that, perhaps someone could provide some general guidelines. Would I be running rsync from the pCP? Via a cron job? I see in pCP where I might enter such a thing. I've certainly done some scripting in linux, but the options for rsync are a bit daunting.

What do I need to setup on the Mac side?

In fact, it looks as though I had started down this path, in that rsync was already installed on the Pi, but I think I got bogged down looking for a command line example that was relevant.

Anyone have a pointer to a very similar use case that's reasonably well documented?

https://www.tecmint.com/rsync-local-...tion-commands/
    http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/09/rsync-command-example

What you probably want is to run rsync on the RPi against a rsync server on your mac, but the other way works too using ssh.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Anyone have a pointer to a very similar use case that's reasonably well documented?
    This is the command line I use to back up my primary music drive:

Code:
    rsync --dry-run --archive --verbose --no-p --no-owner --no-group --no-links --modify-window=1 --delete /mnt/WD6TBNAS01/ /mnt/WD8TBNAS01/ >> Log.txt
    "--dry-run" tells it to not actually copy or delete anything but just report what it would do if I ran a live backup. ">> Log.txt" sends a report to Log.txt so I can look at it and decide whether or not I want/need to run an actual backup. If I do, I submit the same command but without "--dry-run". https://linux.die.net/man/1/rsync is a good place to look up the other options, some of which may not be useful to you. In my case, everything is going from a simple NAS to another simple NAS, so I'm turning off everything related to permissions, owners, etc. You may well not need or want to do that. The "modify-window=1" option is probably there because at one time a W*nd*ws machine was involved, it's probably meaningless now.