Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodsounds View Post
    apesbrain said:

"For about $100 one can snap together components readily available on Amazon and have a player just as capable as the original Logitech hardware. Can't beat that!"

I'm a LONGTIME fan and user of the Squeezebox system, dating back to when I picked up my first product boxes at the Slim Devices office in Mountain View. I also used to be a regular visitor to these forums though I haven't been here for some years.

Some of my well used hardware pieces (a couple of Classics, a Touch) are starting to show signs of mortality. I'm not technically oriented beyond what I could learn here years ago to set up, put together, and easily operate a life changing music system in my home.

As my Squeezebox hardware pieces die and the few spares I accumulated follow the same fate, what alternatives do I have for player hardware to remain within the Squeezebox world?

Thanks
    I personally have an all-SB household, with spares available when necessary. However, given the status of the SB ecosystem, I have been heartened to see all the development around RaspberryPi devices and related things like Max2Play. Others will be able to point you to the necessary information, and when they do I'll take careful note of the information for my own future use.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

apesbrain said:

As my Squeezebox hardware pieces die and the few spares I accumulated follow the same fate, what alternatives do I have for player hardware to remain within the Squeezebox world?

Thanks
    My much-loved SB3 died a couple of years back, so I got a Pi and a Digi+ (which just plug together), followed all the instructions on the piCorePlayer site, and had no problems at all getting it working.

I've since added another Pi (built into an old radio chassis), and I keep meaning to add a touch screen...

For a 'straight-forward' option, it can't be beat...
    Pi3/Digi+ piCorePlayer -> SMSL Sanskrit DAC -> DIY passive pre -> Roksan S1 power amp -> modified Musical Technology Kestrel speakers :-)

I'm thinking about dumping my SBR for something else simply because it loves to stop playing my favorite radio stations for good. I updated to the UE firmware to get the iHeart radio stations back, but they've been going away over time, too. Now, my favorite (and only really) local new station won't play anymore. The SBR is an ancient piece of hardware and Logitech hasn't officially supported it in a long time. Time for something else.

Instruction guide and parts list:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...608#post894608

Thanks
    As other said, Pi with pcP is a very good option. You can also use my plugins to add an UPnP player (including Sonos), a Chromecast device or any AirPlay compatible player (many AV amplifier and a lot of speakers like the Yamaha WX-nnn family, GGMM, Libratone ...

I order of preference, I'd put (highest to lowest) Airplay, Chromecast and UPnP
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

I appreciate the time spent to respond to my question.

I know the SB user group has long been full of clever, very capable and resourceful people. Back when I was a more active visitor to the forum, I'd often see projects discussed that were well beyond anything I could understand, much less do myself. It looks like it's possible to produce player functionality but it involves putting together hardware pieces, doing linux setup steps, and interacting with a linux server going forward. No matter how simple for many, these are not things I have an interest in doing.

I'll keep following this thread. My take away is that options are available but are not feasible to be accomplished by me. My best or maybe even only alternative may be to get Sonos equipment as my hardware dies.

Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate the responses.

I appreciate the time spent to respond to my question.

I know the SB user group has long been full of clever, very capable and resourceful people. Back when I was a more active visitor to the forum, I'd often see projects discussed that were well beyond anything I could understand, much less do myself. It looks like it's possible to produce player functionality but it involves putting together hardware pieces, doing linux setup steps, and interacting with a linux server going forward. No matter how simple for many, these are not things I have an interest in doing.

I'll keep following this thread. My take away is that options are available but are not feasible to be accomplished by me. My best or maybe even only alternative may be to get Sonos equipment as my hardware dies.

Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate the responses.
    Up to you, but in my examples, it does not include doing any hardware setup. Take a speaker or amplifier that is compatible with airplay (there are many) and simply add 'airplay bridge' plugin from the plugin list page in LMS
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Up to you, but in my examples, it does not include doing any hardware setup. Take a speaker or amplifier that is compatible with airplay (there are many) and simply add 'airplay bridge' plugin from the plugin list page in LMS
    Audio Pro C5 is a perfect SB Radio or Boom replacement if you run LMS. Just a few clicks and you have a brand new SB.

All you need is LMS and AirPlay bridge.
    SB Touch to Hegel H90, Boston Acoustics A26.
    SB 3 to Audio Pro T3.
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro C5 and Hegel H90.
    SB BOOM
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Non Logitech player options (2017)

Raspberry Pi (with optional DAC) - piCorePlayer / Max2Play / Raspbian etc
    iOS device - with iPeng or Squeezepad apps with player option enabled (recycle an old iPhone as a player ?)

AirPlay device - requires Phillipe's AirBridge plugin - 16/44.1 max - will sync
    Chromecast device - requires CastBridge plugin - 24/96 - no sync
    uPnP/DLNA device - requires uPnP/DLNA Bridge - can be very difficult to set up as the DLNA protocols have no standards - ok for Sonos though as that is why Phillipe wrote it
    Android device - with various apps

For AirPlay/Chromecast - don't just think the native devices. There are lots of devices on the market that use these protocols including some TVs in the case of Chromecast

Windows / Mac PC - with Squeezeplay/Squeezelite
    Linux PC - Squeezelite
    o2 Joggler - flashed with SqueezeOS (secondhand only)

I am sure there are others

It is possible to buy a fully pre-built Raspberry Pi with Touchscreen for the non techie types
    Last edited by d6jg; 2017-10-12 at 03:52.
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

No matter how simple for many, these are not things I have an interest in doing.
    Here's a nice pre-built option. Once piCorePlayer has been written to the SD card, this is a "plug-and-play" Squeezebox. At $275 shipped it's twice the price of doing it yourself, but you get a nice case with power button and what appear to be quality parts:
    AUDIOPHONICS RASPDAC LTE I-SABRE V3 - STREAMER RASPBERRY PI & DAC TCXO

And remember, any old smartphone or tablet can become a basic Squeezebox with the installation of a cheap player app. There are many Android mini-PCs marketed on eBay as "TV boxes" that will do the job. Use the analog output or add a USB DAC. Here's one with S/PDIF:
    X96 4K Mini PC S905X Quad Core Android 6.0 TV Box

When and if the time comes, someone will be here to help you.
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2017-10-12 at 11:37. Reason: Updated mini PC to one with optical out.