Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfotografer View Post
    Can you elaborate on support for DSD128? Is it via Touch or other third party transport? I m using Touch with EDO plugin to feed my DAC via USB. My DAC plays DSD64 n DSD128 both via DoP. Touch is limited to 192kHz PCM so DoP support is limited to DSD64 over 176kHz PCM.
    Sorry, you may be correct that Touch is limited to DSD64. I think I was confusing the fact that there is a DoP spec for DSD128 with the idea that Touch supports DoP. There is a way for DSD128 to be supported via 24/176 PCM, but I don't know if Squeezebox supports it:

http://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard#.WdTQVmhSy00

EDIT: This third-party player claims support for high-rate DSD/DoP using Squeezelite: http://www.sonore.us/Sonicorbiter.html
    It's not clear to me whether LMS is the server being used and what plugins may be required.
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2017-10-04 at 10:55.

Quote Originally Posted by frankd View Post
    Smart people will stay with Squeezebox
    Well, yes, but I can see why someone would "move on" to Sono's. When a company stop selling a product, and the only way to add new players is to buy used (or build your own), well, that's the time to think of an alternative.

What I never understood was why Logitech did not make their UE Wireless speakers (and other brands) compatible with LMS. It would be great if there was a way to have a portable wireless (or BT) speaker connect to my LMS.

Anyway, I have an extra Touch and an SBRadio in storage if I need it (bought when Logitech announced their demise). (I also have a few extra iPod shuffles bought when Apple announced their demise).

And this is a good time for me to thank this community (esp. Michael) for keeping LMS updated (to 7.9.1) and also a thank you to Logitech for keeping this Forum running.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    What I never understood was why Logitech did not make their UE Wireless speakers (and other brands) compatible with LMS. It would be great if there was a way to have a portable wireless (or BT) speaker connect to my LMS.
    Could be many reasons, at the top I suspect is that it just was two completely different departments under the Logitech umbrella working on the products, possibly on opposite sides of the world. Typical for big companies.
    And if they against all odds were aware of each other, most likely they didn't see that the potential increase in sales LMS compatibility might generate would warrant the increased development cost. That would have been my assessment at least.
    I also suspect that most speakers of that kind (regardless of brand) for cost reasons are built around a few pretty specialized chipsets. Probably somewhere between difficult and impossible to implement the necessary protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    I certainly get your point, but any BT speaker can connect to a phone/tablet running SqueezePlayer or iOS equivalent. Do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    I certainly get your point, but any BT speaker can connect to a phone/tablet running SqueezePlayer or iOS equivalent. Do it all the time.
    Wouldn't that drain the phone's battery?
    (I've considered this to get stereo, but instead I just sync 2 SB Radio's configured for left/right output)
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

Quote Originally Posted by alfista View Post
    Could be many reasons, at the top I suspect is that it just was two completely different departments under the Logitech umbrella working on the products, possibly on opposite sides of the world. Typical for big companies.
    And if they against all odds were aware of each other, most likely they didn't see that the potential increase in sales LMS compatibility might generate would warrant the increased development cost. That would have been my assessment at least.
    I also suspect that most speakers of that kind (regardless of brand) for cost reasons are built around a few pretty specialized chipsets. Probably somewhere between difficult and impossible to implement the necessary protocols.
    Many wifi speakers with upnp/dlna & airplay features can be easily be used as players using the bridge plugins.
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS View Post
    There is another dimension to this debate. It may be a generational thing but I like to own stuff. I don't much admire myself for this as I can see the ethical, philosophical, social and environmental benefits of the commons. In another life, I would like to be a Zen monk. But as I am, my music collection, which I have chosen, purchased, ripped and obsessively tagged is now a part of my life, history and being. If I were younger maybe streaming would float my boat and there may be alternative or better solutions for this but as it is, nothing handles a curated personal collection of music better than Squeezebox which is an essential part of my life.
    Yes +1 for me as well.
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III
    Marantz 2270 to Boston Acoustics Slimlines
    Marantz 7010 to B&W CM10 S2

Quote Originally Posted by dhallag View Post
    Yes +1 for me as well.
    And +1 for me BUT I do also like streaming from Spotify as implemented by Spotty, DSTM and LastMix when I forget I am my own DJ and fail to add to my playlist before it ends.

Although I appreciate Michael's efforts with Spotify Connect I can't see me using it in earnest I am quite happy with DSTM & Lastmix and the standard Spotty interface if I want something specific. That said I guess 80% of my listening is local files.
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Ron M wrote
    I really like having my own collection of "owned" (or, let's be honest, in a few instances "stolen") music. I love using LMS, and enjoy tinkering. But if I were starting out on the music appreciation path now I'd probably be using streaming services almost exclusively, and discovering new music that way, taking in live music when I could, and discovering new music THAT way as well, and gleefully taking advantage of the all-you-can-hear buffet.
    I too have a lot of my own music, but generally burn my own CD copies, for the car, the cottage, etc on my desktop computer. Some I make direct Hi-def CD copies. Other times I will rip a CD to mP3 to get more music on a single disc..Then if they get scratched up, I still have the original new CD. I listen to Pandora a lot , on my SB3s and that way I hear new music, or from various radio "stations" too.

As for my Squeezboxes, I have 2 pre-Logitech SB3s. A major panic when one lost an output channel, but this great forum suggested get a TOS/digital cable, and use the digital output into a compatible stereo receiver. Well I have an old Pioneer VSX-820 and now that SB3 is sending 2 channels again to my KEF 105.4s. Second SB3 is in our bedroom.
    I too am listening to streaming music a lot, mainly Pandora with my favorite music channels , Cat Power, Joni Mitchel, Sneaker Pimps etc. The ability to stream any online radio station in the world is cool too. I had a friend visiting from Ottawa, Canada, and I quickly was streaming his favorite Ottawa CBC radio station from my system..He was impressed, having no knowledge of how a stand alone streaming music player works..
    I do worry what will happen when/if the LMS server we all depend on, goes down for good.
    Last edited by chamonix; 2017-10-04 at 18:05.

apesbrain said:

"For about $100 one can snap together components readily available on Amazon and have a player just as capable as the original Logitech hardware. Can't beat that!"

I'm a LONGTIME fan and user of the Squeezebox system, dating back to when I picked up my first product boxes at the Slim Devices office in Mountain View. I also used to be a regular visitor to these forums though I haven't been here for some years.

Some of my well used hardware pieces (a couple of Classics, a Touch) are starting to show signs of mortality. I'm not technically oriented beyond what I could learn here years ago to set up, put together, and easily operate a life changing music system in my home.

As my Squeezebox hardware pieces die and the few spares I accumulated follow the same fate, what alternatives do I have for player hardware to remain within the Squeezebox world?

Thanks
    Last edited by Goodsounds; 2017-10-11 at 12:22.