Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodsounds View Post
    I appreciate the time spent to respond to my question.

I know the SB user group has long been full of clever, very capable and resourceful people. Back when I was a more active visitor to the forum, I'd often see projects discussed that were well beyond anything I could understand, much less do myself. It looks like it's possible to produce player functionality but it involves putting together hardware pieces, doing linux setup steps, and interacting with a linux server going forward. No matter how simple for many, these are not things I have an interest in doing.

I'll keep following this thread. My take away is that options are available but are not feasible to be accomplished by me. My best or maybe even only alternative may be to get Sonos equipment as my hardware dies.

Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate the responses.
    I have 3 Rpi's around the house doing various things quite sucessfully. I can barely spell Linux (and certainly can't pronounce it!) let alone do setup stuff, but following the advice above you will be able to do it all without giving it more than a galncing blow.
    And before you rush into Sonus give this article a good read:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10...vacy_speakers/

Sonos is not nearly as flexible as Squeezebox - and 4 times as expensive! It's well worth giving d6 and Mr Brains' advice careful consideration in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom_3 View Post
    I have 3 Rpi's around the house doing various things quite sucessfully. I can barely spell Linux (and certainly can't pronounce it!) let alone do setup stuff, but following the advice above you will be able to do it all without giving it more than a galncing blow.
    And before you rush into Sonus give this article a good read:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10...vacy_speakers/

Sonos is not nearly as flexible as Squeezebox - and 4 times as expensive! It's well worth giving d6 and Mr Brains' advice careful consideration in my humble opinion.
    http://www.ep.ph.bham.ac.uk/poynters/mirror/linux.wav

Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLiteX,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLiteX
    Music: 383GB,1346 albums with 18894 songs by 4501 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Brilliant find!
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Oh boy, thanks guys. I guess I gave an unintended but clear demonstration of my ineptness. I didn't understand what was said. This second round of responses together with the first give me a much clearer view.

Another dumb question then, so I can better understand Philippe's comment about airplay bridge.

The active equipment I have is two Classic 3s, a Touch, and a Boom. (It's the Boom that seems to be dying and I'm thrilled to learn of the Audio Pro C5. Thank you!)

I've stayed with Squeezebox Server version 7.6.1 just because it works fine and I'm not a tinkerer. If I switch to LMS to allow me to use the airplay bridge plug-in and maybe the Chromecast one too, will the functionality and appearance, and compatibility with Android and Apple apps I use to control the players, continue and be similar?

Thanks again. Nothing like having experts available to help the feeble minded.

Oh boy, thanks guys. I guess I gave an unintended but clear demonstration of my ineptness. I didn't understand what was said. This second round of responses together with the first give me a much clearer view.

Another dumb question then, so I can better understand Philippe's comment about airplay bridge.

The active equipment I have is two Classic 3s, a Touch, and a Boom. (It's the Boom that seems to be dying and I'm thrilled to learn of the Audio Pro C5. Thank you!)

I've stayed with Squeezebox Server version 7.6.1 just because it works fine and I'm not a tinkerer. If I switch to LMS to allow me to use the airplay bridge plug-in and maybe the Chromecast one too, will the functionality and appearance, and compatibility with Android and Apple apps I use to control the players, continue and be similar?

What do you run 7.6.1 on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

I've never tested with 7.6.x and I've set the min required version to be 7.7.x, unfortunately. Maybe it will work if I change the requirement, maybe not, that I really don't know.

On the positive side, my bridges act such as the upnp, chromecast or airplay players appear as if they were real SB devices. So all the apps you use to interact with LMS remain the same, you just happen to have new players, that's all. The limit for upnp and chromecast is that gapless, synchronization, fade in/out/cross does not work. None of these limits exist with AirPlay, but the audio is resampled to be 44.1/16 - which is not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

UPnP is the most difficult to configure, Chromecast should work out of the box as well as 90% of AirPlay devices. You just need to make sure that your firewall is not blocking the communication.

On a different note, your Boom is likely fixable. Jo here offer a good service doing that. In any case, don't throw it away, a lot of people would be happy to buy & fix it if one day you don't want it anymore
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

I have Squeezebox Server on an always-on Lenovo nettop that they refer to as a "Tiny Desktop". The model is M53 (since renumbered in the product line) with Win 7. It also serves as the central point for network storage and backup with an external drive (that also contains the music files) and it's where the network printer is connected. The configuration dates back more than a decade to when printers weren't wireless and neither printers nor hard drives could be easily connected to routers. I've kept it the same way with hardware replacements because it's simple, it works, and I understand it. Before this I had an Asus EEE box, same idea.

The problem with the Boom, which seems to have snapped out of the funk it was in for about a week, was that it dropped its Wifi connection and wouldn't reconnect. I have a very solid Wifi setup (Netgear Orbi and satellite) and the wireless signal strength where it's located has always been above 90%. I was just about to buy a cheap Wifi bridge antenna (to allow an ethernet connection to the Boom) when, in giving it one last chance, it decided all was forgiven and it would connect as per normal. So for now, it's okay.

I'll keep in mind that it's repairable, that's good information too. It's used just a few times per week, it plays and operates as it did when new.

I forgot to ask:

About 7.7, is it the same software with just a different name?

Is it because 7.7 was set as the minimum version for the airplay plug-in that I don't see it shown on the plug-in list in the version I have?

Thanks again.

I forgot to ask:

About 7.7, is it the same software with just a different name?

Is it because 7.7 was set as the minimum version for the airplay plug-in that I don't see it shown on the plug-in list in the version I have?

Thanks again.
    The changes are here http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/sli...hangelog7.html. It's the same software with a few updates. I don't think you'll see "big changes".

That's correct, you don't see it in the plugin list because I've set the minimum version to be 7.7
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Thank you!