Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Smart people will stay with Squeezebox

A provocative title to counter all the "I will leave the Squeezebox Community" threads.
    I am really astonished how many people state in this forum that they leave the community and Switch to Sonos and other systems. I will stay with Squeezebox and actually I am buying used equipment for my friends to provide them with the best experience of music ever:
    in my personal opinion, the Squeezebox experience has never been as good and as cheap as it is now. Let me explain why I prefer squeezebox versus all other solutions on the market:

- Software players are available for all major operating systems including android, Mac, Linux, Iphone, Windows...
    - Many control software is available on all operating systems (android, windows, iphone...)
    - Cost-effective Squeezebox compatible servers are available, e.g Raspberry Pi (even MusicIP works there), with 150 USD you can have your own "NAS" and squeezebox server...
    - It is compatible to the outside world (e.g. Apple, DLNA, Chromecast) thank to Philippe
    - Redundant plugins for the potential shutdown of Mysqueeezebox.com already exist (the big elephant in the room) - No worries about the future, (tune-in bv Michael Herger, Shoutcast, Ickstream and more...)
    - Philippe made our system compatible to the broader outside world: Chromecast, Apple Airplay, DLNA, I have never seene such a compatibility list for any other system...
    - all major streaming services are available (I do not use them personally, thus a disclaimer I do not know about the quality of integretaion)
    - There are many Raspberry-based solutions for enpoints, i.E. Streaming devices at low costs with good DACs, digital outputs etc...
    - In contrast to many other streaming hardware, you have direct feedback (screens) and interaction possibilities (buttons...), do not underestimate the haptic feedback e.g.from the controller units
    - You can adapt your setup to the smallest detail (this was the big problem in the past - too tricky to setup if you do not know what you are doing).
    - for every problem you find answers in this community or even software, workarounds, bugfixes...

I struggle to see the reason why people leave this community - nothing has changed, all is better than ever before...
    A special thanks to Michael Herger, Philippe, Erik and all the others who contribute to this community and make the Squeezebox experience better than ever...
    Last edited by frankd; 2017-09-02 at 13:19.

Quote Originally Posted by frankd View Post
    I struggle to see the reason why people leave this community - nothing has changed, all is better than ever before...
    For about $100 one can snap together components readily available on Amazon and have a player just as capable as the original Logitech hardware. Can't beat that!

A special thanks to Michael Herger, Philippe, Erik and all the others who contribute to this community and make the Squeezebox experience better than ever...
    Couldn't agree more. Long live Squeezebox!

Almost 6 years ago my favorite radiostation stopped broadcoasting. I bought a Touch and a Nas, ripped al my CD's and discovered new internet radiostations. The Squeezebox is one of my best buys ever and really chanced the way of listening music.

I bought 3 radio's, a spare Touch, build a Picoreplayer with Hifiberry and one Pi with Max2Play with Kodi for my kids and LMS as server.

All the support from Michael and the guys from Picoreplayer and Max2Play is fantastic! And don't forget all the available plugins.

Like frankd i am always wondering why people chance to another system. I'm sure i will use the Squeezebox system as long as possible.

A provocative title to counter all the "I will leave the Squeezebox Community" threads.
    I am really astonished how many people state in this forum that they leave the community and Switch to Sonos and other systems. I will stay with Squeezebox and actually I am buying used equipment for my friends to provide them with the best experience of music ever:
    in my personal opinion, the Squeezebox experience has never been as good and as cheap as it is now. Let me explain why I prefer squeezebox versus all other solutions on the market:

- Software players are available for all major operating systems including android, Mac, Linux, Iphone, Windows...
    - Many control software is available on all operating systems (android, windows, iphone...)
    - Cost-effective Squeezebox compatible servers are available, e.g Raspberry Pi (even MusicIP works there), with 150 USD you can have your own "NAS" and squeezebox server...
    - It is compatible to the outside world (e.g. Apple, DLNA, Chromecast) thank to Philippe
    - Redundant plugins for the potential shutdown of Mysqueeezebox.com already exist (the big elephant in the room) - No worries about the future, (tune-in bv Michael Herger, Shoutcast, Ickstream and more...)
    - Philippe made our system compatible to the broader outside world: Chromecast, Apple Airplay, DLNA, I have never seene such a compatibility list for any other system...
    - all major streaming services are available (I do not use them personally, thus a disclaimer I do not know about the quality of integretaion)
    - There are many Raspberry-based solutions for enpoints, i.E. Streaming devices at low costs with good DACs, digital outputs etc...
    - In contrast to many other streaming hardware, you have direct feedback (screens) and interaction possibilities (buttons...), do not underestimate the haptic feedback e.g.from the controller units
    - You can adapt your setup to the smallest detail (this was the big problem in the past - too tricky to setup if you do not know what you are doing).
    - for every problem you find answers in this community or even software, workarounds, bugfixes...

+1 Still the most flexible music system on the market. And it has never worked better....
    Callesoroe
    Living room: Transporter, Tact RCS 2.2X digital preamp, Martin Logan Vista speakers, AMPS(Icepower): Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma PLUS(PANELS), Acoustic Reality Ear TWO MKII(Bas)
    Kitchen: Receiver - S.M.S.L DAC, Prodipe Pro 5 active bi-amp speakers. Bedroom: Receiver+UE boombox, Kids: Receiver+Active speakers, Office: Transporter, JBL LSR305 active speakers , TIDAL HIFI flac streaming.
    http://www.last.fm/user/callesoroe

Quote Originally Posted by callesoroe View Post
    +1 Still the most flexible music system on the market. And it has never worked better....
    +1
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLiteX,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLiteX
    Music: 383GB,1346 albums with 18894 songs by 4501 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Yesterday I spun up a Plex server. Main reason was films ripped from DVD but I let it scan my music while it was at it. When it finished (quite a few hours later) I had a play with the Plex app on my iPhone. Underwhelmed on the music front. LMS coupled with iPeng does everything Plex does and a whole lot more.
    Perfectly ok for films though.
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Yesterday I spun up a Plex server. Main reason was films ripped from DVD but I let it scan my music while it was at it. When it finished (quite a few hours later) I had a play with the Plex app on my iPhone. Underwhelmed on the music front. LMS coupled with iPeng does everything Plex does and a whole lot more.
    Perfectly ok for films though.
    My main Servers are both Vortexboxes. One is for Music and the other is for Movies (One can run movies and music on one server but because my music and movie libraries dwarf several hundred average Squeezebox users collections, I run one for each format). The Vortexbox is its own OS Server based off of Fedora. It comes with LMS installed and after one click in the GUI to upgrade, one can add PLEX for Movies also. It also auto rips DVD, BluRay, and CDs. I have been running Vortexbox for years without issue. Plex does a good job plus adding Tonido to both Servers allows one to remotely search the server when shopping for movies or music to make sure one doesn't buy a movie or CD one already has! Squeezebox and LMS rule as far as I am concerned. It has worked flawlessly for over a decade for me. 95% of the people having problems either couldn't follow simple directions or didn't have a clue about creating a robust wireless network. Out of the hundreds of Squeezebox systems I personally troubleshot and fixed, most were proved to be a WiFi issue after I ran Ethernet to all the players (eliminating the Squeezeboxes, Server, and LMS as the issue).

I don't send time messing with my setup, I send my time Listening to Music and auto-ripping CDs and Movies! Thanks to Sean, Dean, Caleb, Michael, Joerg (at iPeng), all the Beta Guys, and so many others that made Slim Devices what it was and what it is: The Best Loss-Less Server/Player based Music Streaming option available today!!!
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    My main Servers are both Vortexboxes. One is for Music and the other is for Movies (One can run movies and music on one server but because my music and movie libraries dwarf several hundred average Squeezebox users collections, I run one for each format). The Vortexbox is its own OS Server based off of Fedora. It comes with LMS installed and after one click in the GUI to upgrade, one can add PLEX for Movies also. It also auto rips DVD, BluRay, and CDs. I have been running Vortexbox for years without issue. Plex does a good job plus adding Tonido to both Servers allows one to remotely search the server when shopping for movies or music to make sure one doesn't buy a movie or CD one already has! Squeezebox and LMS rule as far as I am concerned. It has worked flawlessly for over a decade for me. 95% of the people having problems either couldn't follow simple directions or didn't have a clue about creating a robust wireless network. Out of the hundreds of Squeezebox systems I personally troubleshot and fixed, most were proved to be a WiFi issue after I ran Ethernet to all the players (eliminating the Squeezeboxes, Server, and LMS as the issue).

I don't send time messing with my setup, I send my time Listening to Music and auto-ripping CDs and Movies! Thanks to Sean, Dean, Caleb, Michael, Joerg (at iPeng), all the Beta Guys, and so many others that made Slim Devices what it was and what it is: The Best Loss-Less Server/Player based Music Streaming option available today!!!
    The Plex server I mentioned was on a VB which due to being on 32bit hardware and 2.3 won't run Spotty. LMS has moved to a Pi3 but because I had hacked about with the VB to get it to rip to and read from my NAS via NFS I am still using it for ripping but LMS is off. I switched Plex on to see what it was like for movies as opposed to Kodi which I normally use.

My main point though was that for music Plex is nowhere near as good as LMS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Will add my vote for the Squeezebox system. I started with one of the original SliMP3 players 15 years ago. Took the CD player out of my system after getting a SB3 and haven't looked back. Today, my 2 Touches continue to work perfectly and recently added a Raspberry Pi player to the group. The Vortexbox server has been plugging away for years with not much attention needed.

From the daily use perspective, I have no problem finding the music I want to play and it sounds great.

Most of the new gear I've seen since either has limitations, or is overpriced "audiophool" gear, or simply has a prettier interface. I don't want to spend money and give up features I already have. While I love music and enjoy it on a good system, audiophilia has gotten so silly over the years that the last thing I want to consider myself is an audiophile. As for pretty interfaces, the Touch is pretty nice and I don't need any more -- I"m listening to music, not looking at things. Roon makes a case for searching one's collection and finding other music that may interest me, but I don't like the subscription model for playing my own music and I'm really not having any problem finding the songs I'm in the mood for.

Some things are instant classics that simply work right for years and years. Squeezebox is one of those classics.

6 Touches going strong, with a duet and Classic stored away as backups. Still would like to replace my old Transport that died a few years ago, but as many above have said I have not seen anything from this price point that can come close.
    Pioneer Elite N50 main HT rig hardwired to router connected

1st Touch Wirelessly connected (Master Bedroom)

2nd Touch Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

3rd Touch Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

4th Touch Wirelessly connected (livingroom)

5th Touch Wirelessly connected (downstairs bedroom)

Server (In garage)
    running on Duo Core P4 3.0 GHz 8 gig ram
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit
    350 Xternal gigHD
    1.5 TB backup
    Verizon Fios wireless router w/HG antana