Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Buffer-less or minimal buffer streaming?

I've got an audio feed inside my house that I'd like to stream into the squeezebox, and I've got that working via a plugin into the squeezebox (basically it's converting an rtsp stream and pushing it into the LMS) - the problem is I'd like to get the latency / buffer lag down as low as possible at the listening end, and I'm not sure how to convince the system to do so. The latency from the streaming is sub-second right now as measured at the LMS machine and my ill-timed listening, which is close enough for my purposes. However once I push the stream out to the squeezebox devices I end up with the audio getting buffered and delayed by between 8 and 12 seconds, which is far more than I'd like to deal with.

I saw a post about bufferThreshold and have been playing with that via `sub bufferThreshold { <various numbers less than 255> }` in my plugin, and it's clear it's adjusting things, though not having a lot of success on that front.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to get the buffering down, while still being able to use the squeezebox end points. What's the minimal buffering one can get away with on a local network with the squeezebox?

Quote Originally Posted by warthog9 View Post
    I saw a post about bufferThreshold and have been playing with that via `sub bufferThreshold { <various numbers less than 255> }` in my plugin, and it's clear it's adjusting things, though not having a lot of success on that fron
    bufferThreshold will only be called if your plugin is setup correctly. Are you sure it is being called ?

For continuous (i.e. not file) streaming a SB player has a threshold - LMS will send data to player abd player will buffer. Player will only startplaying when "threshold" has been met. A value of less than 10 usually result in problems. The smaller practical value is about 50.

Delays in playing can depend on a lots of factors but you have given no details so without details no real suggestions as I would be here all night typing. If you are using transcoding (i.e. socketwrapper.exe is running) on a Windows systems (espec Win8 or later) there can be strange long delays in inititial stream setup - they vary according to Windows system configuration.