Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Allo BossMini Player

I happened across this

https://www.allo.com/sparky/miniboss-player.html

Nice little package at a very nice price $80 (£62) - almost cheaper than buying the components and putting them all together - easy to swap the Volumio SD for a piCorePlayer version

Then I discovered this

https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/miniboss-player.html

$35 more beacuse we live in Europe WTF !!??

Then I found this full sized Pi based player

https://www.allo.com/sparky/max2play-boss-player.html
    and
    https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/max2p...ss-player.html

Again different pricing if you are in Europe.

At the risk of starting a economic or political argument how can this pricing differential exist ?
    Last edited by d6jg; 2017-08-31 at 09:46.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I happened across this

https://www.allo.com/sparky/miniboss-player.html

Nice little package at a very nice price $80 (£62) - almost cheaper than buying the components and putting them all together - easy to swap the Volumio SD for a piCorePlayer version

Then I discovered this

https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/miniboss-player.html

$35 more beacuse we live in Europe WTF !!??

Then I found this full sized Pi based player

https://www.allo.com/sparky/max2play-boss-player.html
    and
    https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/max2p...ss-player.html

Again different pricing if you are in Europe.

At the risk of starting a economic or political argument how can this pricing differential exist ?
    ... because they can charge whatever they like

Traditionally. US prices are converted on a 1:1 basis
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    ... because they can charge whatever they like

Traditionally. US prices are converted on a 1:1 basis
    Obviously there is VAT and customs tax but even so that doesn't equal $35 worth of difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Obviously there is VAT and customs tax but even so that doesn't equal $35 worth of difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Profit from the piinters?
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You've obviously never tried to get stuff into the country.. there is usually a £10 or £15 handling fee for the shipping agent to deal with customs charges, which goes on top of the duty (not sure on the rate, but could be 5% of total cost), plus Vat on top (17.5%), makes about £93.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    You've obviously never tried to get stuff into the country.. there is usually a £10 or £15 handling fee for the shipping agent to deal with customs charges, which goes on top of the duty (not sure on the rate, but could be 5% of total cost), plus Vat on top (17.5%), makes about £93.

I am sure you are correct. I'd like to find a UK source at a reasonable price because there is definitely a market here

Pretty sure you can buy all the bits already, but they just cost more..! Even if you buy it off the website in $US and ship to the US, you would have to pay sales taxes on top of the quoted price.

--
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0

Allo BossMini arrived

I did place an order on the Allo website. Just so no one feels bad, there was a $28 shipping fee (with the cheapest option). It took about 9 days to arrive. All parts arrived...nice not to have to scrounge for power supply (wall wart with different international faceplates). I substituted max2play for the volumio card, in part because you can then configure the pi zero W without a cable.

Only minor hardware complaint is that the micro sd card in the pi is a push-pull and not a push-push with a spring ejector. For me, at least, this meant I had to disassemble the case to switch the card. My solution ws to leave that face of the plastic enclosure out of the reassembly.

The only small software problem is that the max2play allo tab is a bit cryptic and there are settings that are a bit unclear Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 21.14.32 .pdf

I have only had a casual chance to listen, and am not one for subjective impressions, but I find it to be quite adequate and maybe better. More serious listening later, but for US $79 + $28 =$107 for essentially a complete squeezeplayer, I am, to date, happy.
    Last edited by ericj; 2017-09-15 at 18:19.

It's a nice bit of kit. The $28 obviously covers customs charges and taxes, which is cool that they sort that out for you - it's a pain and really heavily delays your package if you wind up sorting it out yourself.

By the way, the push-pull SD slot is safer, they switched to this design deliberately so you don't push it to check if it's firmly installed then find it's about to pop out.. at which point you wind up reaching for a keyboard to shut the thing down with one hand...

Last edited by drmatt; 2017-09-15 at 23:48.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericj View Post
    Only minor hardware complaint is that the micro sd card in the pi is a push-pull and not a push-push with a spring ejector. For me, at least, this meant I had to disassemble the case to switch the card. My solution ws to leave that face of the plastic enclosure out of the reassembly.

If it is a question of dexterity then extenders are available which might help, it's not going to look pretty though

https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi...xtension-cable