Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LMS Sound Quality for DSD

I am new into the computer audio space. For the past several months I've been running Daphile on an Intel NUC connected to my DAC. Recently, I started playing around with building another music player with a RPi3. Here is what I have:

RPi3
    Audiophonics I-Sabre ES9028Q2M
    Kali Reclocker

I used the above with Volumio and Moode Audio. I preferred the sound of Moode Audio on my system but DSD playback produces a "clicking" noise in one speaker when I played DSD with DoP enabled and resampling disabled (which was the setting that sounded best to me, minus the clicking). I tried the same setting in Volumio and the same clicking noise was there (so the clicking issue is likely not specific to the player) BUT Volumio supported Native DSD so I could play DSD natively. This sounded good but I wanted to keep looking. I decided to give picoreplayer a try. Out of the gate, I was impressed with picoreplayer. The vocals and soundstage were particularly impressive in my system. I found myself just listening and enjoying music, which is a good sign. There were aspects that I preferred in moode though. For example, in picoreplayer, instruments sounded thinner (lacked some weight, realism, etc.) and the dynamics were not as good, compared to moode on the same recording. This brings me to my question. Are there tweaks or setting changes that may improve in this area?

Here is an overview of what I did (in case I am missing a step): I loaded picoreplayer on my RPi and connected it to my LMS (on the NUC) which was created through the Daphile install. I did not change any audio settings except enabled DSD Play plug-in. My DAC, Audiophonics I-Sabre ES9028Q2M, was NOT listed on the picoreplayer outputs, so I chose the I-Sabre ES9023 option. Not sure if there is an issue with this?

Thanks for any help / suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by stlocin View Post
    I am new into the computer audio space. For the past several months I've been running Daphile on an Intel NUC connected to my DAC. Recently, I started playing around with building another music player with a RPi3. Here is what I have:

RPi3
    Audiophonics I-Sabre ES9028Q2M
    Kali Reclocker

I used the above with Volumio and Moode Audio. I preferred the sound of Moode Audio on my system but DSD playback produces a "clicking" noise in one speaker when I played DSD with DoP enabled and resampling disabled (which was the setting that sounded best to me, minus the clicking). I tried the same setting in Volumio and the same clicking noise was there (so the clicking issue is likely not specific to the player) BUT Volumio supported Native DSD so I could play DSD natively. This sounded good but I wanted to keep looking. I decided to give picoreplayer a try. Out of the gate, I was impressed with picoreplayer. The vocals and soundstage were particularly impressive in my system. I found myself just listening and enjoying music, which is a good sign. There were aspects that I preferred in moode though. For example, in picoreplayer, instruments sounded thinner (lacked some weight, realism, etc.) and the dynamics were not as good, compared to moode on the same recording. This brings me to my question. Are there tweaks or setting changes that may improve in this area?

Here is an overview of what I did (in case I am missing a step): I loaded picoreplayer on my RPi and connected it to my LMS (on the NUC) which was created through the Daphile install. I did not change any audio settings except enabled DSD Play plug-in. My DAC, Audiophonics I-Sabre ES9028Q2M, was NOT listed on the picoreplayer outputs, so I chose the I-Sabre ES9023 option. Not sure if there is an issue with this?

Thanks for any help / suggestions!
    http://forum.audiophonics.fr/viewtop...2&p=7956#p7956 ?

I would first replace the Daphile install of LMS with the latest and greatest v7.9.1
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2017-08-31 at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    I would first replace the Daphile install of LMS with the latest and greatest v7.9.1
    No need to get rid of Daphile - it comes with LMS v7.9.1. Be sure to use the latest stable Daphile version (daphile-17.05-x86_64.iso) or even the latest beta 17.07.

I love my Daphile install, it is rock solid and has a re-skinned LMS web interface and runs super fast on my (very) old Mac Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by pufnstuf View Post
    No need to get rid of Daphile - it comes with LMS v7.9.1. Be sure to use the latest stable Daphile version (daphile-17.05-x86_64.iso) or even the latest beta 17.07.

I love my Daphile install, it is rock solid and has a re-skinned LMS web interface and runs super fast on my (very) old Mac Mini.
    How old is said Mac Mini - I have a MacMini 1.6ghz lying dormant that I'd love to use as an LMS server - I maxed out the RAM on it to2GB and installed Mountain Lion but otherwise its all original ?
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    How old is said Mac Mini - I have a MacMini 1.6ghz lying dormant that I'd love to use as an LMS server - I maxed out the RAM on it to2GB and installed Mountain Lion but otherwise its all original ?
    hey d6jg

My Mac Mini is a 2.0GHz version with 2GB RAM, I did install a small SSD (128GB) but of course that is optional.

I get better performance running the Daphile OS directly on the Mac Mini, than I did when I installed LMS on top on Mac OS X. I believe there is a lot less system overhead with Daphile OS because it is purpose built to only install the necessary software components.

Note that the Daphile installer will completely wipe your internal hard drive and be the only OS on your old Mac (that's the intention). So backup anything you need from your Mountain Lion drive before installing.

I run my Mac Mini headless (after the initial installation) and can access/change all the settings from a browser on another device. Other bonus is that you can then automatically rip CDs using the Mac mini's CD-ROM/DVD Drive.
    Last edited by pufnstuf; 2017-09-01 at 17:41. Reason: correct my typos

Quote Originally Posted by pufnstuf View Post
    hey d6jg

My Mac Mini is a 2.0GHz version with 2GB RAM, I did install a small SSD (128GB) but of course that is optional.

I get better performance running the Daphile OS directly on the Mac Mini, than I did when I installed LMS on top on Mac OS X. I believe there is a lot less system overhead with Daphile OS because it is purpose built to only install the necessary software components.

Note that the Daphile installer will completely wipe your internal hard drive and be the only OS on your old Mac (that's the intention). So backup anything you need from your Mountain Lion drive before installing.

I run my Mac Mini headless (after the initial installation) and can access/change all the settings from a browser on another device. Other bonus is that you can then automatically rip CDs using the Mac mini's CD-ROM/DVD Drive.
    Yes I realise a complete overwrite but I fear my Mac is too old. It's the 1.66ghz Core Duo i.e. 32 bit and I really need a 64bit machine to run things like Spotty.

I know you can upgrade the processor to the Core 2.0 and flash the firmware which would make it 64 bit capable but it may be more economical to buy a new box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

> Yes I realise a complete overwrite but I fear my Mac is too old. It's
    > the 1.66ghz Core Duo i.e. 32 bit and I really need a 64bit machine to
    > run things like Spotty.

I might be able to get it to work on 32-bit. Just never thought it might
    be necessary. Would you be willing (and able ;-)) to test?

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Yes I realise a complete overwrite but I fear my Mac is too old. It's
    > the 1.66ghz Core Duo i.e. 32 bit and I really need a 64bit machine to
    > run things like Spotty.

I might be able to get it to work on 32-bit. Just never thought it might
    be necessary. Would you be willing (and able ;-)) to test?

--

Michael
    Michael
    I'd prefer to test VB2.3 which is 32 bit as that machine - also with a Core Duo - is sitting quietly in a corner. I am still using it for ripping direct to NAS but LMS is off.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

VB 2.3 is also going to be a bit more mainstream than Daphile I suspect.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

> VB 2.3 is also going to be a bit more mainstream than Daphile I suspect.

I thought you'd need VB 2.4 to be compatible with Spotty...

--

Michael