Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You could consider to use Max2Play instead of piCorePlayer. In my experience itís less stable but if you donít leave the device running for months at a time it probably doesnít matter.
    Max2Play now has a WiFi mode in which it automatically sets up a hotspot to connect when it canít find a WiFi network.
    Youíll probably find more details in the Max2Play thread.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by slimhase View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Why do I want to did it (and not use a phone)?
    -> I just like the idea of a portable DIY Squeezebox - and was inspired by pippins Tivoli Squeezebox in the DIY section -> Even the creator of ipeng does not rely on ipeng all the time :-)
    So I bought a Tivoli PAL secondhand, where I want to fit everything in - thats why a Zero is needed and no external DAC, only a simple low pass like in the Adafruit tutorial
    (I have a Tivoli One in the kitchen - fed by a Squeezebox - which sounds great. Thats why I would like to use a Tivoli setup)

Now back to my questions:
    Enough steam on the Pi Zero for using Spotty? I guess I just have to try it.... and wait for wtnh's feedback on his setup!
    WRT PWM pins - I need to see, if I get anywhere with the suggested (thanks, wtnh!) overlay software - and if I get that running on pCP.

Finally the changing WLAN setup: Hmmm - I have to admit: I did not think that through completely....
    But mostly, I want to use it in our vacation house when not at home.
    So I need to 'only' toggle between 2 WLAN setups. Maybe that can be done with some sort of logic in the boot process? Maybe via newconfig.cfg?

I will report back once my Zero and the Tivoli Pal arrive in the mail....
    I have been wondering how to do a dual wifi setup on piCorePlayer with a Zero myself. Not so much as to move the player around for myself, but to build players for friends - I anticipate getting it to work on my wifi lan and then (knowing their SSIDs and passwords) send them the player and just have it work when they get it without fumbling with setups. I know that in linux, it is possible to have multiple wifi entries in wpa_supplicant.conf something like this:
    Code:
    network={
        ssid="WIFI SSID"
        psk="WIFI PASSWORD"
        id_str="location1"
    }
    network={
        ssid="WIFI SSID"
        psk="WIFI PASSWORD"
        id_str="location2"
    }
    But have not poked around much in piCorePlayer to see if this is possible. Maybe one of the pCP team members could chime in.

Wifi setup is a weakness of the Base OS that we use. There is no easy way to do what you want, outside of building scripts to manipulate it.

Multiple wifi networks

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Wifi setup is a weakness of the Base OS that we use. There is no easy way to do what you want, outside of building scripts to manipulate it.
    I agree the wifi setup in the piCore OS is terribly convoluted. The voodoo seems to happen in ./usr/local/bin/wifi.sh, a shell script written some years ago by the TinyCore folks.

wifi.sh reads the /home/tc/wifi.db file, which in turn gets configured by the piCorePlayer web UI script /home/tc/www/cgi-bin/writetowifi.cgi. When changes are saved in the UI, the writetowifi.cgi script invokes wifi.sh with the -a (for automatic) option to bring up the wifi connection with the new parameters (fingers crossed).

The wifi.sh script looks as if it can enumerate multiple entries in wifi.db, so it would be an interesting experiment to manually add entries to wifi.db and invoke wifi.sh to see if it can find other wifi networks. If that proves out, perhaps the pCP team could consider adding a section in the wifi config screen for a second wifi network.

Just a thought.....

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    You could consider to use Max2Play instead of piCorePlayer. In my experience itís less stable but if you donít leave the device running for months at a time it probably doesnít matter.
    Max2Play now has a WiFi mode in which it automatically sets up a hotspot to connect when it canít find a WiFi network.
    Youíll probably find more details in the Max2Play thread.
    Thanks for the shout out, pippin!

Here is our announcement and instructions on how to use it.

It is now our third option for first contact with your home network. You can still either just connect an ethernet cable or use the WPS feature of your router (if it has one).

Quote Originally Posted by wtnh View Post
    ....The wifi.sh script looks as if it can enumerate multiple entries in wifi.db, so it would be an interesting experiment to manually add entries to wifi.db and invoke wifi.sh to see if it can find other wifi networks. If that proves out, perhaps the pCP team could consider adding a section in the wifi config screen for a second wifi network.
    Just a thought.....
    1st of all: Thank you to all the involved people in developing and improving piCorePlayer! It is an amazing s/w. Got my Zero W today - installed the image, added newconfig.cfg and was up & running! (*)
    Added LMS, added Spotty and: It runs smoothly - no hickkups: So the Zero seems to have enough oumph for all the conversion going on.
    (I tested it w/ a different Player though, as I need to figure out the GPIO remapping to get PWM audio....

Then wrt above quote: If that could work, that would be awsome! I cross fingers....

P.S. Thanks for the hint for Max2Play - for now, I will stay w/ pCP - I really like this lightweight system.

(*) The only issue I ran into was that I needed some time to understand that the SSID can not have [!] or [space] in it. (Probably a stumbler for a lot of germans with Fritz!Boxes....)
    Heiner
    My system:
    LMS 7.9 on modded Open Peak Joggler running Roobarbs SqueezePlay OS.
    1 x Slimp3
    5 x Squeezebox Classic
    1 x Controller
    2 x Squeeze Commander (on 2 rooted Nook Touch e-reader)
    X x Squeezeplay & Jivelites on various PC's & Laptops

Getting PWM to the right pins How does Use Device Tree Overlay work in pCP?

Now I am stuck with getting PWM Audio from pCP on piZero:
    I followed the linked instrucions: https://learn.adafruit.com/adding-ba...zero-pwm-audio (admittedly without really knowing what I am doing....)
    So, I added this:
    dtoverlay=pwm-2chan,pin=18,func=2,pin2=13,func2=4
    to the /boot/config.txt file, which should reroute the BCM pins 13 & 18 for PWM-Audio at boot.
    To be verified via gpio readall, which should show BCM Pin18 on Mode Alt5 and BCM Pin13 on Mode Alt0 - but these Pins show not these desired modes, instead Pin18 shows Mode Alt0 and Pin13 shows Mode In
    -> What am I doing wrong??
    Can someone help / give hints, ....

**update**
    The above method seems not to work - at least not for me.
    However, I found a solution with this help: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=127585
    Bottomline: you can set the GPIOS directly using the GPIO tool which is included in pCP w/ these instructions:
    gpio -g mode 18 ALT5 (-> PWM0 to GPIO18)
    gpio -g mode 13 ALT0 (-> PWM1 to GPIO13)
    And I just added these 2 commands in the teaks menue in the 'user commands' section.
    -> Audio on GPIO 13 & 18. Works great so far!
    Last edited by slimhase; 2017-08-30 at 00:49.
    Heiner
    My system:
    1 x Slimp3
    5 x Squeezebox Classic
    1 x Controller

Congrats

Now I am stuck with getting PWM Audio from pCP on piZero:
    I followed the linked instrucions: https://learn.adafruit.com/adding-ba...zero-pwm-audio (admittedly without really knowing what I am doing....)
    So, I added this:
    dtoverlay=pwm-2chan,pin=18,func=2,pin2=13,func2=4
    to the /boot/config.txt file, which should reroute the BCM pins 13 & 18 for PWM-Audio at boot.
    To be verified via gpio readall, which should show BCM Pin18 on Mode Alt5 and BCM Pin13 on Mode Alt0 - but these Pins show not these desired modes, instead Pin18 shows Mode Alt0 and Pin13 shows Mode In
    -> What am I doing wrong??
    Can someone help / give hints, ....

**update**
    The above method seems not to work - at least not for me.
    However, I found a solution with this help: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=127585
    Bottomline: you can set the GPIOS directly using the GPIO tool which is included in pCP w/ these instructions:
    gpio -g mode 18 ALT5 (-> PWM0 to GPIO18)
    gpio -g mode 13 ALT0 (-> PWM1 to GPIO13)
    And I just added these 2 commands in the teaks menue in the 'user commands' section.
    -> Audio on GPIO 13 & 18. Works great so far!
    Glad you got it to work. However, I would not expect it to sound any better than a regular pi audio out jack. I found these to be noisy and not exactly hifi. You could probably improve sound with even a cheap hat dac.

Quote Originally Posted by wtnh View Post
    Glad you got it to work. However, I would not expect it to sound any better than a regular pi audio out jack. I found these to be noisy and not exactly hifi. You could probably improve sound with even a cheap hat dac.
    Actually, I am pretty pleased with the sound! It is comparable to playing a FM Station on that radio. (No 'HiFi' of course - its a small table top radio....)
    There is some light background 'wizzing' sound from the Pi if you listen very carefully, but I got that down considerably by adding 470uF at the Pi's 5V input and adding 22nF in parallel to the L&R Audio output.

The sweet thing is that I can grab 5V (or 4.8V) for the Pi from the 7.2V battery pack of the Pal by taking the Pi's power from the 1st 4 batteries of the pack. Works well so far.
    Heiner
    My system:
    1 x Slimp3
    5 x Squeezebox Classic
    1 x Controller

Glad you are happy with the setup!

Actually, I am pretty pleased with the sound! It is comparable to playing a FM Station on that radio. (No 'HiFi' of course - its a small table top radio....)
    There is some light background 'wizzing' sound from the Pi if you listen very carefully, but I got that down considerably by adding 470uF at the Pi's 5V input and adding 22nF in parallel to the L&R Audio output.

The sweet thing is that I can grab 5V (or 4.8V) for the Pi from the 7.2V battery pack of the Pal by taking the Pi's power from the 1st 4 batteries of the pack. Works well so far.
    Hey - its all about the music anyway, and if you are happy with it look no further!

BTW - I just got a headless Pi Zero W working with an Allo Mini Boss dac (in I2C master mode) - running pCP 3.21 - sounds very nice streaming from LMS running on an RPi 3 over built-in wifi. I have not yet added LMS to the Zero or experimented with multiple SSIDs - one thing at a time!