Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    hi slimhase,

If Sourceforge stays up long enough, this help page should give you some ideas.

http://picoreplayer.sourceforge.net/...nfig_txt.shtml

regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    hi slimhase,

If Sourceforge stays up long enough, this help page should give you some ideas.

http://picoreplayer.sourceforge.net/...nfig_txt.shtml

regards
    Greg
    Great - thank you, Greg!
    If I put "m1" in Tweaks - usercommand it will automount at boot?
    I guess I will find out...
    Heiner
    My system:
    LMS 7.9 on modded Open Peak Joggler running Roobarbs SqueezePlay OS.
    1 x Slimp3
    5 x Squeezebox Classic
    1 x Controller
    2 x Squeeze Commander (on 2 rooted Nook Touch e-reader)
    X x Squeezeplay & Jivelites on various PC's & Laptops

Probably, but if it doesn't work, scroll down the help page a little to find to "longhand" version of the mount command.

Why do you want to have it mounted? By having it mounted and writeable you are increasing your chances of SD card corruption.

Our normal pCP process is to mount mmcblk0p1, do the work then unmount it.

Quote Originally Posted by slimhase View Post
    Thanks for that idea & link. I will definetely try this WiFi extender Idea using ESP8266 - which I am using already for other things.
    For my PiPal this is not the path to go, unfortunately: Adding another WiFi transmitter in the Radio enclosure would add distortion noise further, which I have a hard time reducing already as it is....

So, does anyone know how to access the FAT boot partition (PCP) of picoreplayer while picoreplayer is running?
    Are you not using a Dac? What type of noise? I've been using a Pi Zero with a couple of different Zero dacs mounted right over the Zero W and not got any noise issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Why do you want to have it mounted? By having it mounted and writeable you are increasing your chances of SD card corruption.
    Greg, thanks. I didn't think of that - doesn't make sense then...doh.

Quote Originally Posted by c3p0 View Post
    Are you not using a Dac? What type of noise? I've been using a Pi Zero with a couple of different Zero dacs mounted right over the Zero W and not got any noise issues.
    c3p0; I do use a DAC, but there is still noise spilling into the radio.
    The noise comes and goes w/ WiFi activity. It is independent from the volume, so it is more annoying when listening on low volume.
    I guess it happens, because I use the setup with an analog radio/amplifier. That is probably more sensitive then a digital amp..

I got it down by wiring the Pi power cable through a ferrite core and keeping all wires from the pi as far as possible from the Tivolis PCB.

Looking for portable LMS server

I have a large music collection (90k tracks), but would like to take a portable LMS server away with me when I travel, for playback on a phone or tablet. I was thinking something along the lines of:
    - Music collection on a USB drive
    - LMS server running on a RaspPi
    - Hootoo tripmate (which I already own) to provide a local wifi network (and also has a USB port for connection of a HDD)
    - Playback and LMS control on an Android phone or tablet.

The problem is I have no idea how to set it up, or whether the Pi will have enough horsepower to manage and navigate a music collection of that size.

I've looked at the PiCorePlayer site, but don't see any instructions there for setting it up as an LMS server. I don't own a Pi so can't download it to try it out.

Can anyone tell me whether the above components can provide the sort of solution that I'm looking for, and if so how I should go about it?

I do use a DAC, but there is still noise spilling into the radio.
    The noise comes and goes w/ WiFi activity. It is independent from the volume, so it is more annoying when listening on low volume.
    I guess it happens, because I use the setup with an analog radio/amplifier. That is probably more sensitive then a digital amp..

I got it down by wiring the Pi power cable through a ferrite core and keeping all wires from the pi as far as possible from the Tivolis PCB.
    Hi slimhase, I too had problems of noise from the pi analogue outputs ( builtin, self-built on zero, and external dac's) when connected to a small amp using the same power source as the pi.
    You can either use a separate power source ( 2nd set of batteries ) or avoid it by using a dac+amp board.
    I just got my phat beat going with PCP and I am pleased with the d-amp feeding the speakers. Enough power for small applications, and no noise from powercircuits or wifi. I use them with my hifi speakers ATM and the music is flawless, except the plops at startup of squeezelight are not suppressed.

There are also other dac+damp solutions available; the speaker bonnet, a MAX98357A board, boards based on the wolfson chipset .

As a solution for WIFI on the go; I emulate my home wifi SSID with my smartphone its hotspot. The the pi ( pcp ) connects without knowing it is on the road. Fixed reservations in the DHCP is an problem though, my phone hotspot does not cater for that, however the same solution from my laptop does.

I have not really used a LMS implementation on the zero, but a 64 Gig SD is affordable these days, and can provide some local storage. I should try that on my next holiday.

Greetz M-H

Quote Originally Posted by M-H View Post
    Hi slimhase, I too had problems of noise from the pi analogue outputs ( builtin, self-built on zero, and external dac's) when connected to a small amp using the same power source as the pi.
    You can either use a separate power source ( 2nd set of batteries ) or avoid it by using a dac+amp board.
    I just got my phat beat going with PCP and I am pleased with the d-amp feeding the speakers. Enough power for small applications, and no noise from powercircuits or wifi. I use them with my hifi speakers ATM and the music is flawless, except the plops at startup of squeezelight are not suppressed.

There are also other dac+damp solutions available; the speaker bonnet, a MAX98357A board, boards based on the wolfson chipset .

As a solution for WIFI on the go; I emulate my home wifi SSID with my smartphone its hotspot. The the pi ( pcp ) connects without knowing it is on the road. Fixed reservations in the DHCP is an problem though, my phone hotspot does not cater for that, however the same solution from my laptop does.

I have not really used a LMS implementation on the zero, but a 64 Gig SD is affordable these days, and can provide some local storage. I should try that on my next holiday.

Greetz M-H
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    As I wanted to use a Tivoli PAL as my 'Amp & Loudspeaker', I finally took the PiZero + DAC again out of the PAL box and connect it externally with a ~5cm Audio-cable. Also, as you mentioned, I now use a separate battery (an old IPhone battery). The Pi Zero, the battery+charging circuit, and the DAC all fit in a small Pi3 enclosure, which sits behind the PAL.

Works nicely - its my tiny travel / weekend home LMS setup.
    Heiner
    My system:
    LMS 7.9 on modded Open Peak Joggler running Roobarbs SqueezePlay OS.
    1 x Slimp3
    5 x Squeezebox Classic
    1 x Controller
    2 x Squeeze Commander (on 2 rooted Nook Touch e-reader)
    X x Squeezeplay & Jivelites on various PC's & Laptops

Does someone have further ideas reg dual wifi setup on piCorePlayer?
    More specific for a band-aid idea: Is there a way to access the FAT boot partition (PCP) of picoreplayer remotely while picoreplayer is running?
    (Then I could have 2 newconfig.bak files and rename the appropriate one for the WLAN I want to access after next reboot... not really convenient, I know...)

General Update: My "piPAL" (see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post893404) runs smoothly and I am happy with it.
    Although - as many had recommended - I added an I2S DAC (generic PCM5102A) for sound improvement. I still had to fight noise issues where the Pi transmits 'computing noise' to the PALs Amplifier.
    This seems to be due to the Pi feeding off the same power source - the PALs battery and due ot the fact that they are so close together.
    Noise was *almost* fixed by adding a ferrite core for the power-wires to the Pi and putting max distance between Pi cables and PAL cables.

Now, I am really happy with the setup - if I only find a way to toggle between 2 WiFi settings......
    I have not done any further experiments on multi-wifi capability of pCP, but this thread demontrates that pCP can be turned into its own access point. Paul has not had a chance to test this on a pi Zero W, but I imagine it would work. I have built a headless pi Zero W with pCP and LMS all on a single SD card; see this post for details.

I may try the access point approach to make it portable.