Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Rebuffering on Touch playing 96 kHz 24 bit songs

When I play some 96 kHz 24 bit songs on my Touch, for the first few seconds it sounds like a vinyl turntable skipping and the screen says "Rebuffering" and a % percentage complete. The Touch has wireless Wireless Signal = 100%.

After a few seconds the track plays fine.

Troubleshooting to date: -

1) Touch with wired connection - no "skipping"

2) Receiver with wireless connection - no "skipping"

I have also done a factory settings reset of my router as well as the Touch and done a clean install of 7.9.0. None of these helped.

LMS is running on an iMac (10.11.6) with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Its old but I would guess more than enough to run LMS.

Is there anyway to view a log file to get a better idea about what is happening? Are there any settings to change the size of the Touch buffer?

I also noticed that if I try to move through the track using the Progress Bar, the Touch mutes and seems to lock-up, until another track is selected manually.

Thanks!
    Nicholas

Switch to wired or Powerline adapters? There is a network test in the advanced menu on the Touch too. The buffer on the touch is large already.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Rebuffering means player ran out of data to play i.e. LMS was not able to get fill the player's buffer faster than it was being played. Not sure if Touch plays 24bit Flac natively or whether LMS will have to resample and if you have setup your syustem to resample to WAV - this will definitley cause problems.

If not resampling, then as your "wired" test has shown, I think your wireless connection is not fast enough - either due to weak signal, interference or another wifi device is using up capacity.
    - check for other wifi networks on the same channel
    - check signal strength and move Touch to somwhere there is a better signal.
    - test when no other device on wifi is on.

Receiver test is irrelevant as it will be transcoded into 48kHz Flac.

(Yes the touch decodes 96/24 flac natively.)

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Yes Touch do 24/96 FLAC or WAV/PCM natively .

I'd suggest you use flac or let the server encode to flac if your files are wav alac or aiff .
    It's default setup to do this but check your settings .

That said 24/96 over wifi can be a close shave if it works good for you otherwise get wired . It works if the wifi is just perfect , the percentage Indicator is rather simplistic it does not tell the whole story .

Wav/pcm over wifi is harder as the bitrate is almost double . Flac saves bandwith.

It will take less time to drill some holes and pull wires than figure the perfect wifi settings .

Power line adapters is an easier option if they work .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

THANK YOU!

The files are ALAC. I always thought the Touch could natively play ALAC. When I changed the File settings: -

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 3.08.35 PM.png
Views: 106
Size:  16.5 KBName:  Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 3.08.13 PM.png
Views: 105
Size:  17.4 KB

The files play without any "stuttering". So the problem was the Touch not being able to convert big ALAC files to FLAC quick enough?

One thing I noticed on the Touch it says "Bitrate: 2881kbps VBR (converted to 705kbps FLAC)" This seems very odd as I thought ALAC was as efficient a format as ALAC (more or less).

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Yes Touch do 24/96 FLAC or WAV/PCM natively .

I'd suggest you use flac or let the server encode to flac if your files are wav alac or aiff .
    It's default setup to do this but check your settings .

That said 24/96 over wifi can be a close shave if it works good for you otherwise get wired . It works if the wifi is just perfect , the percentage Indicator is rather simplistic it does not tell the whole story .

Wav/pcm over wifi is harder as the bitrate is almost double . Flac saves bandwith.

It will take less time to drill some holes and pull wires than figure the perfect wifi settings .

Power line adapters is an easier option if they work .
    Last edited by nicholasg; 2017-08-10 at 13:48. Reason: Fixing typo

Ok enjoy not the error I expected

then you found two other old issues .

Touch do play native ALAC but it's buggy one error is that it only handles 16/44.1 alac not 24/96 .

And that bitrate displays is bogus it's just a place holder 705kbps is the typical rate for 16/44.1 .
    For some odd reason LMS does not peak into the transcoding results and post the actual rate, it's gets tags and all from the original file in its database .

LMS actually converts to the proper rate .
    If your paranoid about it it's possible to increase the log levels regarding transcoding and then you se the SoX parameters used in the log .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html