Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is Boom speaker deterioration inevitable ?

Hello

I've had my 2 beloved Booms pretty much since they came on the market, and both connected to subwoofers almost from day 1.

They are used frequently (with significant proportion of bass-heavy music), but rarely above 50 on volume scale.

I haven't noticed any deterioration in sound (but that doesn't mean there hasn't been to a more trained or sensitive ear).

Will this definitely happen at some stage, and what should I be listening out for ?

Thanks
    Touch x 2, Booms x 2, Squeeze Cntrl on Samsung S5 (Duet Receiver + Controllers x 2 - semi-retired)

I doubt deterioration is to do with use level, more likely it's to do with heat cycling or exposure to moisture. So if it's left in the sun part of the day, or kept in a humid environment. There is a perception they all do it but I don't think that's true.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    I doubt deterioration is to do with use level, more likely it's to do with heat cycling or exposure to moisture. So if it's left in the sun part of the day, or kept in a humid environment. There is a perception they all do it but I don't think that's true.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    They are not exposed to either of those factors to any significant degree (both are in shady, non-humid locations).
    Touch x 2, Booms x 2, Squeeze Cntrl on Samsung S5 (Duet Receiver + Controllers x 2 - semi-retired)

Is Boom speaker deterioration inevitable ?

I have a Boom that was purchased on day one of their availability, is
    used heavily (12+ hours per day, most every day, at mostly around 40-50
    volume), has spent 90% of its life with a sub-woofer attached, and DOES
    NOT suffer from woofer surround separation. It is not in the direct
    sun, or in a humid environment.

I'm guessing that use of an external sub-woofer is what's saving the
    speaker surrounds. The crossover is filtering out the deep bass signal,
    the drivers have an easier job to do, and the cones just aren't pumping
    with the same amount of energy. Less stress, less wear, and the
    surrounds have survived.

Just a guess, but so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by swayzak View Post
    Hello

I've had my 2 beloved Booms pretty much since they came on the market, and both connected to subwoofers almost from day 1.

They are used frequently (with significant proportion of bass-heavy music), but rarely above 50 on volume scale.

I haven't noticed any deterioration in sound (but that doesn't mean there hasn't been to a more trained or sensitive ear).

Will this definitely happen at some stage, and what should I be listening out for ?

Thanks
    3 out of my 4 Booms had bad speakers after 5~7 years, with super moderate use. You can't miss it, the "farting" sound is very obvious, with very little bass. But replacing/fixing speakers (especially if you buy new ones) is very doable and otherwise Jo offers a great service to do that for you.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    3 out of my 4 Booms had bad speakers after 5~7 years, with super moderate use. You can't miss it, the "farting" sound is very obvious, with very little bass. But replacing/fixing speakers (especially if you buy new ones) is very doable and otherwise Jo offers a great service to do that for you.
    Were all of your "failed" Booms supported by a subwoofer ?

Quote Originally Posted by swayzak View Post
    Were all of your "failed" Booms supported by a subwoofer ?
    no, none of them was
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Never had the speaker issue (but then again 99% of my boom listening is as bedside player feeding headphones. Speaker rarely used.

But I did finally have one boom bite the dust this weekend in terms of Display. Display is blank no matter what. Did all sorts of resets, xlinx, messed with display options, etc. These displays do seem to have an end-of-life. Everything else works, but not useful as I need to control things from the Boom at bedside. This boom was my oldest. Maybe 10 years old (purchased when initially released). I've had display on 24/7 for 8 years of that time. In recent years I've used "blanksaver" to go blank when not using.

edit: and I've switched out that boom for another almost new boom I purchased via ebay a few years ago.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

They are repairable
    SqueezeBoxes: 2x SB2 (Living room and study), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Bedroom)
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, D-Link Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    They are repairable
    I saw this:
    http://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/2...d-display.html

all too much for me to do. I wonder if anyone does it professionally?
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify