Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    This topic will always be discussed until one of two things happen, Squeezeboxen start showing up at Best Buy or Logitech goes out of business! Are either of those two things going to happen anytime soon, I don't think so, so the topic will live on.

Logitech should be commended daily for their endless support of a product that they haven't manufactured in year! I still can't believe MYSB.com is operational without any real issues. Plus the work and help Michael provides is amazing and deeply appreciated.

LMS is very well polished and I haven't had a single problem with it in so long I can't even remember the last time I had an issue with it. So comments that the Community will or would die if MYSB.com disappeared, I can't see that happening because I don't even use or have a need for MYSB.com. Granted I admit that many absolutely need MYSB.com because of how they listen to Music and don't have a huge personal stored music library. And then their are Tidal, Spotify, and others that LMS helps stream to ones Squeezeboxen.

As long as I can repair or replace any Squeezeboxen of mine that die, I will be using LMS/Squeezebox until I die. The fact that I can now build my own Player, Touch replacement, or even a player with built in amp, my Squeezebox/LMS use is not going to decrease, it is ever increasing. Ran into and bought a Transporter, SB3, and two Touch Squeezeboxes at an Estate Sale the better half and I stopped at after I spotted a pair of Wilson Watt Puppy Speakers in the driveway (like money and sex, there is no such thing as too many Squeezebox spares).

Would I love to see a new highend updated Transporter and updated Touch replacement, sure. Wouldn't most of us?
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    All this doesn't quite explain how you can still buy a brand new Transporter SE on eBay and that new stocks of same keep appearing. Are Logitech still manufacturing but only Transporters?
    Not only transporters are appearing. I missed a UE radio sale on amazon.fr some months ago but there was another one in july, 8 units sold by 3B-It at 163€ which is the normal price, I bought one!
    LMS 7.9.0
    on Linux Mageia 5 and RPI 3
    1 SB3, 2 radio, 1 touch, 1 transporter SE
    Plugins : Trackstat, Smartmix, MusicIP, ...

As many have said it ain't happening. Still, I offer my thanks to Logitech in general and to Michael specifically for maintaining these forums and LMS. As others have said the plug and play w no system/software maintenance is where most are today. Me, I still prefer the "old School" collecting, tagging, archiving etc.

Thanks to all who keep this concept alive and working !

Even if this is a niche . For example ROON is trying to get piece of the pie by selling software . With a kind of licensing model for,hardware they have no hardware of their own .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Logitech should resurrect squeezebox

> Even if this is a niche . For example ROON is trying to get piece of the
    > pie by selling software . With a kind of licensing model for,hardware
    > they have no hardware of their own .

I thought this would come up. But then that software is Roon's business.
    They're small and obviously happy to serve a niche. But that's not
    Logitech's business model.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Even if this is a niche . For example ROON is trying to get piece of the
    > pie by selling software . With a kind of licensing model for,hardware
    > they have no hardware of their own .

I thought this would come up. But then that software is Roon's business.
    They're small and obviously happy to serve a niche. But that's not
    Logitech's business model.

--

Michael
    I know . Working in a multinational myself the top floor does not really know what to do with smaller products even if they work well in their niche's and even turn a small profit with reasonable margin .
    They just cant fit it into both bussines model and organisation .
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

What is crystal clear though is that they killed the product line at exactly the wrong time just as other high products such as Sonos etc were being launched.
    Is it?
    Sonos had already gained good traction by the time Logitech shut down production, but I don't see the relevance. In my mind Sonos and Squeezebox don't have an awful lot in common, and it was the market for Sonos-like product that took off while the market for Squeezeboxes withered. The Squeezebox was an idea whose idea had come, and gone.
    Logitech tried to salvage their investment in the Radio by "dumbing it down", maybe they could have been successful if they had gone even further on that path, but then it wouldn't really have been Squeezeboxes.
    A Transporter II marketed under a different brand, with the latest audiophile tickbox items and proper marketing hyperbole might have worked, but hardly interesting for a company like Logitech.

Roon bussines model is not viable for squeezebox either .

Software = open source LMS = no revenue .

Squeezebox = DIY our own rpi3 = no revenue .

Enhanced interlinked metadata so that you can build a roon like UX = licensed and costly (se all the trouble our comunity had with the lyrics plugin and varius cover download utilities )

Wonder if not that was what the ickstream guys had in mind......

What is crystal clear though is that they killed the product line at exactly the wrong time just as other high products such as Sonos etc were being launched.
    Sonos was around long before Logitech bought Slim Devices. The two product lines were always at opposite ends of the market. Drawing an analogy with HiFi, Sonos appealed to the sort of person who would buy an integrated B&O system, whereas the Squeezebox system appealed to the sort of person who would mix & match components, and probably even mount & align the pickup cartridge on their turntable.

It seems to me that at the time, Logitech saw that there might be money to be made in the streaming market, and Slim Devices was a company in that field that could be bought for what was (to Logitech) loose change. It was a gamble worth taking and wouldn't cost much if it failed to pay off.

What's also clear is that Logitech failed to do their homework and never really understood the vision behind the Squeezebox ecosystem. Their daft attempt to squeeze (excuse the pun) a stripped down server into the Touch is evidence they really were barking up the wrong tree. What they should have done is build and sell an LMS server as a hardware appliance. They could probably have hired the guys at Vortexbox to do that for them.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    Sonos was around long before Logitech bought Slim Devices. The two product lines were always at opposite ends of the market. Drawing an analogy with HiFi, Sonos appealed to the sort of person who would buy an integrated B&O system, whereas the Squeezebox system appealed to the sort of person who would mix & match components, and probably even mount & align the pickup cartridge on their turntable.

It seems to me that at the time, Logitech saw that there might be money to be made in the streaming market, and Slim Devices was a company in that field that could be bought for what was (to Logitech) loose change. It was a gamble worth taking and wouldn't cost much if it failed to pay off.

What's also clear is that Logitech failed to do their homework and never really understood the vision behind the Squeezebox ecosystem. Their daft attempt to squeeze (excuse the pun) a stripped down server into the Touch is evidence they really were barking up the wrong tree. What they should have done is build and sell an LMS server as a hardware appliance. They could probably have hired the guys at Vortexbox to do that for them.
    Perhaps I should not have referred to Sonos as high end. My point was that Sonos had started to become accepted in the consumer electronics field just as Logitech pulled out.
    Sonos is just as flawed as SB arguably more so. For example when BBC pulled the plug Sonos needed firmware updates whereas we had Beeb back on line with hardly any delay.
    At the same time people were buying AVRs. Had Logitech licensed the workings to some AVR manufacturers they would have had a market for years. Imagine an AVR that detects network shares via SMB but that magically adds them to a running LMS on the AVR itself with built in player. A nice now playing on the TV with hifi sound. None of that Dlna nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng