Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Logitech should resurrect squeezebox

I think Logitech got a little ahead of itself buying slim devices while the technology was still in the early-adapter phase, but since Logitech canned the brand, I've seen Sonos everywhere, as well as a number of competitors that have displays at Target, Best Buy, and even Walmart over the years.

I think after Chromecast Audio came out, consumers were more prepared for what streaming audio might entail. The Logitech Media Server is still the best server out there. They should take advantage of that.

Who thinks Logitech should resurrect the brand and start selling squeezeboxen again?
    1 Touch
    2 Receivers
    1 Controller
    2 Radios

Actually I suspect you'll find a lot of people on the forum are quite happy with the status quo. The Pi/DAC/open source LMS solution is very compelling. Any reignite of Logitech official Interest could well see them grabbing that back in-house. At the very least it would likely be based around the UE platform, not LMS.

I would, however, love to see a tidy updated Squeezebox Touch type device with Bluetooth apt-x, airplay, a software Chromecast endpoint and a nicer touch display would be awesome as a converged streaming device. I just don't think that's what we'd get if we asked for it.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Short answer: Nah, at least not a Squeezebox brand based on the architecture we know and (mostly) love.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Squeezebox ecosystem is genuinely amazing. There seems to be no limit to the adaptability and extensibility, constantly made to run on new platforms with new exciting integrations like voice control. But I don't see any market large enough for a resurrected Squeezebox line.

The "unique selling point" of the package, the jewel in the crown, is LMS. Mysqueezebox is an afterthought and doesn't offer anything the competition already does equally good or better. Since the download market has dropped sharply and CD sales as far as I know are in a slow decline, it seems users having a local media library is a narrowing niche in the market. And sadly, to capitalize on the power and flexibility of LMS, there is a bit of a learning curve. It becomes very obvious when things like the recent changes to Spotify streaming that a lot of users haven't fully managed to understand this glorious concept, and I don't blame them.

The Squeezebox was a reasonably priced player that came at a time when there were few alternatives, no online streaming services, no smartphones or bluetooth speakers. It was primarily aimed at users with a bit of computer skills that wanted to play their ripped CDs (and whatever MP3s could be found on Napster et al) through a stereo system. A bit of tinkering came with the territory and wasn't a problem, when you got it working it was in every sense a huge leap forward over hooking your computer to the sound system.

Today you get a Spotify client in your TV or your receiver, bluetooth speakers are ubiquitous and if you have a music library at all it's often on your phone. Among "audiophiles" you may still find people interested in maintaining a music collection, but they aren't going to sully their pristine signal chain with some cheap plastic thing from a keyboard manufacturer so they aren't going to help the sales.

A "dumbed down" product aimed primarily at online streaming (like UE Radio) is probably the only thing that would make any sense for Logitech, but I doubt it would have an easier time now than it did when it was cancelled in 2014. The phone (that people already use to access Spotify) and a decent speaker does the same thing.

I think the Squeezebox as a concept will live on for a long time, maintained and supported by enthusiasts. The ride will inevitably be a bit rocky when Logitech pulls the plug on their servers or assigns M Herger to other tasks, but I believe it will survive that too.

As much as I wish there were new players for sale, I don't see it happen, but I keep enjoying the great system I have in LMS and have no plan to stop using it.

Quote Originally Posted by FredFredrickson View Post
    ............ Who thinks Logitech should resurrect the brand and start selling squeezeboxen again?
    This has been discussed in here for years, over and over. It will never happen. It will never be resurrected, nor sold, nor licensed to a third party, etc..
    It's dead as a viable consumer product offering.

I can live with the current status quo as far as Logitech gives Michael enough room to do his thing.
    SqueezeBoxes: 2x SB2 (Living room and study), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Bedroom)
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, D-Link Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    It's dead as a viable consumer product offering.
    Well, I am not sure. I don't know much these products, but SONOS is sold everywhere and Bose have also a similar (?) product line.
    Anyway, people say they're very easy to use, which is not the case with LMS.
    LMS is too complicated for old people and also for most of the young people. They have their phone, a bluetooth connection and a speaker and that's enough.

LMS would have to be easier to use if logitech wanted to start selling it again. The problem also IMO is that logitech wouldn't be satisfied with a few thousands sales. when they sell a product, they want to sell it by millions (that's only my feeling), like the boom speakers and other products.

I'm also quite happy with the current status quo, because I'm very happy with what I have and Logitech is letting us "playing with our toys".
    I see two big clouds with that status quo : first, I love the old logitech squeeze products, they have a very good design, wonderful ergonomics and of course terrific sound for the price. I recently bought a new (!) squeeze radio on amazon market place and would buy a touch or a transporter if I could. I didn't found similar products on the market that could work as nicely with LMS. Fortunately all my squeezebox devices are still working!
    Second problem is that LMS rely only on Michael H and the main plug-ins on a few developers. Some developers apparently have "left the boat", as Triode, and some doesn't give news for a moment (Erland, some others ?). If they all leave, that will really be difficult for us to stay with LMS.

I think Logitech could, and maybe should, launch another product line as squeezeboxes devices, but I don't think they will, unless they change their marketing strategy, which is to sell small devices, easy to use, not too expensive, for the young.
    LMS 7.9.0
    on Linux Mageia 5 and RPI 3
    1 SB3, 2 radio, 1 touch
    Plugins : Trackstat, Smartmix, MusicIP, ...

Logitech should resurrect squeezebox

> I think Logitech could, and maybe should, launch another product line as
    > squeezeboxes devices, but I don't think they will, unless they change
    > their marketing strategy, which is to sell small devices, easy to use,
    > not too expensive, for the young.

Like... the UE Boom family of products?...

IMHO the LMS based product is becoming more and more of a niche product.
    Who does still curate his own music collection? We do, yes. But who
    else? The mass market future is in the cloud, like it or not. As you
    said: easy to use. And connected.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Antoniop View Post
    Well, I am not sure. I don't know much these products, but SONOS is sold everywhere and Bose have also a similar (?) product line.
    Anyway, people say they're very easy to use, which is not the case with LMS.
    LMS is too complicated for old people and also for most of the young people. They have their phone, a bluetooth connection and a speaker and that's enough.

LMS would have to be easier to use if logitech wanted to start selling it again. The problem also IMO is that logitech wouldn't be satisfied with a few thousands sales. when they sell a product, they want to sell it by millions (that's only my feeling), like the boom speakers and other products.

I'm also quite happy with the current status quo, because I'm very happy with what I have and Logitech is letting us "playing with our toys".
    I see two big clouds with that status quo : first, I love the old logitech squeeze products, they have a very good design, wonderful ergonomics and of course terrific sound for the price. I recently bought a new (!) squeeze radio on amazon market place and would buy a touch or a transporter if I could. I didn't found similar products on the market that could work as nicely with LMS. Fortunately all my squeezebox devices are still working!
    Second problem is that LMS rely only on Michael H and the main plug-ins on a few developers. Some developers apparently have "left the boat", as Triode, and some doesn't give news for a moment (Erland, some others ?). If they all leave, that will really be difficult for us to stay with LMS.

I think Logitech could, and maybe should, launch another product line as squeezeboxes devices, but I don't think they will, unless they change their marketing strategy, which is to sell small devices, easy to use, not too expensive, for the young.
    Exactly. Those and numerous other reasons are why it is a dead product. *WE* all love them and *WE* get/use the SB advantages. But the mass market could care less, and for very understandable reasons. In a world of streaming compressed music on a mobile device listened to via tiny ear buds or tiny BT speakers, the SB experience is irrelevant to the mass majority. The niche market for anything even remotely close to SB is saturated with big name players (Sonos & Bose). The tweakers will settle for PICore/MicroPC as SB player replacements.

But would/could Logitech even sell or license the technology is a silly question that has been raked over the coals to the point of obsurdity. It simply won't happen if they would, and would not happen if they could. It's dead baby..... dead.

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Exactly. Those and numerous other reasons are why it is a dead product. *WE* all love them and *WE* get/use the SB advantages. But the mass market could care less, and for very understandable reasons. In a world of streaming compressed music on a mobile device listened to via tiny ear buds or tiny BT speakers, the SB experience is irrelevant to the mass majority. The niche market for anything even remotely close to SB is saturated with big name players (Sonos & Bose). The tweakers will settle for PICore/MicroPC as SB player replacements.

But would/could Logitech even sell or license the technology is a silly question that has been raked over the coals to the point of obsurdity. It simply won't happen if they would, and would not happen if they could. It's dead baby..... dead.
    All true but it does make for an interesting discussion.

I agree that Logitech have nothing to gain by resurrecting the product line but they could do so under a hifi brand name except that the licensing isn't possible as all the software is now open source (isn't it?).

What is crystal clear though is that they killed the product line at exactly the wrong time just as other high products such as Sonos etc were being launched.

All this doesn't quite explain how you can still buy a brand new Transporter SE on eBay and that new stocks of same keep appearing. Are Logitech still manufacturing but only Transporters?
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Those are "new, old stock" transporters. There is no manufacturing for a decade or so.

LMS was always too hard for people, Sonos fixed that and appeals to the Apple buying industrial design generation to boot, despite being broadly mediocre for various reasons. Logitech had a ground breaking product.. but couldn't get the complexity out of it fast enough to make it palletable. And truth is the gear was *expensive*. Well over consumer CD player expensive. Early, geek adopters only.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..