Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Senior Member meep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    AFAIK Forum is currently funded by Logitech - probably forgotten about in some budget. A change would cause re-examination of that funding - let sleeping dogs lie.

    The frequent users of the forum is a small group who provide supporr and assistance to occasional users. The main thrust is not having "fun". User who wants to discuss topics to have "fun" generally use other forums.
    This, all day.

    A forum migration is a significant undertaking. I think everything SB related is living on borrowed time. Don't rock the boat.


    ALEXA LMS SKILL: http://www.hab-tunes.com | Twitter: #habtunes
    Personal HA BLOG: http://mediaserver8.blogspot.com

    Squeezebox | Squeezebox Radio x 2 | Squeezebox Duet

  2. #12
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    19,779

    Any chance that this forum will migrate to discourse?

    > Just to give a real life example of how much more user friendly
    > discourse is: try recreating this post of mine (i.e. with multiple
    > partial quotes from the same post) and then do the same on a discourse
    > site.
    >
    > Or how about replying to a reply you received via email?


    That's why I stick with the mailing list :-). I've yet to find a forum
    software as quick as my mail client.

    --

    Michael

  3. #13
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    19,779

    Any chance that this forum will migrate to discourse?

    > bpa wrote:
    >> AFAIK Forum is currently funded by Logitech - probably forgotten about
    >> in some budget. A change would cause re-examination of that funding -
    >> let sleeping dogs lie.

    >
    > This is indeed a good point. @mherger, would you agree that it's safer
    > to not stir things up?


    Yes. The forum has been the subject of discussions several times before.
    Because there's support.logitech.com.

    --

    Michael

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Yes. The forum has been the subject of discussions several times before.
    Because there's support.logitech.com.
    Fair enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Just to give a real life example of how much more user friendly[color=blue]
    I've yet to find a forum software as quick as my mail client.
    Since I use discourse, I often wish my email client was as quick as discourse, especially when I want to respond to specific parts of a previous message. In discourse, you just select the part of the message that you want to respond to and a "quote" button pops up. Click it and the selected text segment is inserted as a quote into your reply. This works even while navigating across threads.
    Server: LMS 7.7.5 on a ReadyNAS Ultra 2
    Players: Radio, Touch, Duet (Receiver & Controller), Boom
    Remote control apps: iPeng (iOS), SqueezePad (iOS), Squeezecontroller (Android)
    Important plugins: Trackstat, Spicefly Sugarcube, Lazy Search Music, Switch Player, Custom Browse, Spotty, Multi Library

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    203
    +1 don't rock the boat.
    SqueezeBoxes: 2x SB2 (Living room and study), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Bedroom)
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, D-Link Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

  6. #16
    OK, I won't rock the boat but, while I love this forum and am grateful for the informed advice provided by the very knowledgeable members, I think the software is far from perfect. It may just be my incompetence but I find the search function to be near useless, I can never find stuff. If others have the same problem, this must result in a lot of inefficiency in the form of repeated queries that have been answered previously. I recognise that nothing is likely to happen to improve this but, if ever we need to re-invent ourselves, that is worth bearing in mind.

    Jerry

  7. #17
    Senior Member SlimChances's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS View Post
    OK, I won't rock the boat but, while I love this forum and am grateful for the informed advice provided by the very knowledgeable members, I think the software is far from perfect. It may just be my incompetence but I find the search function to be near useless, I can never find stuff. If others have the same problem, this must result in a lot of inefficiency in the form of repeated queries that have been answered previously. I recognise that nothing is likely to happen to improve this but, if ever we need to re-invent ourselves, that is worth bearing in mind.

    Jerry
    Agreed, the search function is near useless
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1504317335 @ Mon Sep 4 07:13:56 UTC 2017
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi

    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

    One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    15,316
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChances View Post
    Agreed, the search function is near useless
    I use google with a "site:forums.slimdevices.com" followed by the search terms.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I use google with a "site:forums.slimdevices.com" followed by the search terms.
    Useful tip, thanks

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    +1 don't rock the boat.
    Okay, let's all sit still in this boat and have a quiet conversation about the future of this forum. If it is so that the days of this forum are counted because sooner or later Logitech will shut it down, wouldn't it make sense to move it to an independent server before that happens?

    To stay in the picture: if the boat is slowly sinking, yes, you surely don't want to rock it, but you also don't want to sit completely still and do nothing at, do you?
    Server: LMS 7.7.5 on a ReadyNAS Ultra 2
    Players: Radio, Touch, Duet (Receiver & Controller), Boom
    Remote control apps: iPeng (iOS), SqueezePad (iOS), Squeezecontroller (Android)
    Important plugins: Trackstat, Spicefly Sugarcube, Lazy Search Music, Switch Player, Custom Browse, Spotty, Multi Library

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •