Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Spotify gone/options

I realize Spotify has stopped support for the squeezebox. Do these Pi DIY gadgets allow one to continue to use Spotify on the squeezebox? I apologize, I tried following the other threads and got lost in the tech. I just need a simple answer. If I want Spotify do I need another streamer or is it possible to hack my squeezebox? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jefffrye View Post
    I realize Spotify has stopped support for the squeezebox. Do these Pi DIY gadgets allow one to continue to use Spotify on the squeezebox? I apologize, I tried following the other threads and got lost in the tech. I just need a simple answer. If I want Spotify do I need another streamer or is it possible to hack my squeezebox? Thanks
    You need to install Logitech Media Server (LMS) on a PC, mac, laptop, raspberry pi, etc., and then install the Spotty [sic] plugin. This will allow you to use Spotify on any of your existing Squeezeboxes.
    Last edited by kidstypike; 2017-08-01 at 13:50.
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - RPi 2/Max2Play > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - Radio
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3

It's not a "hack" it's an augmentation:
    Every Squeezebox needs a server to be connected with. That server also controls the SqueezeBox. There is a Server from Logitech on mysqueezebox.com (mysbc) , which you're using , I think.
    Because of recent changes from Spotify, you can't use Spotify via mysbc anymore.
    But there is another server, LMS (Logitech Mediaserver) that must be installed on a local computer. And a plugin (Spotty) that can be installed in that LMS enables your SqueezeBoxen to play Spotify again.

LMS and Spotty Solution

Firstly thanks for the quick replys. Before I give it a go what are the downsides to this solution if any? I have a Spotify premium account, I think I saw somewhere that that is a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefffrye View Post
    How are you running your Squeezebox today? Is it connected to the cloud server (http://mysqueezebox.com/), or do you have your own LMS (Logitech Media Server) running locally on your PC or maybe a NAS? Do you have local collection of music, or do you just play from internet sources (radio, spotify, etc...)?

Spotify wont work anymore using mysqueezebox.com. You need to have your own LMS running locally, and on that LMS you need to install the Spotty plugin.

If you already have LMS running on your a Windows or Mac PC, changes are good you only need to install (and configure) the Spotty plugin.

If you already have LMS running on a NAS, it might very well work too when installing Spotty. But it depends on your NAS model.

If you are currently using the cloud setup (mysqueezebox.com), you need to install LMS locally somewhere instead. You can:
    1) Install it on your PC (downside: Only works when your PC is turned on)
    2) Purchase a NAS and install it on that.
    3) Or go for the Raspberry Pi solution everybody's talking about.

Downsides? Well, Spotty is an unofficial plugin using an unofficial "API". There's no guarantee it will keep working. But then again, the official solution didn't last forever either. Also I believe you need Spotify premium account, but you already have that..
    Last edited by Stig Nygaard; 2017-08-01 at 21:41.
    /Stig
    www.rockland.dk - www.last.fm/user/rockland - www.discogs.com/user/StigNygaard - plus.google.com/+StigNygaard
    Server: LMS 7.9.1 (LmsRepack) - 1503129892 @ Sat Aug 19 on Synology DS716+II. Clients: RPi3 (Max2Play, 7" touch, HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro), SB Touch, OrangeSqueeze/SqueezePlayer. Livingroom HiFi: Marantz PM6005 and F3/Lyd Audiovector 2.

Try my Art Grabr for fetching big cover-art from various sites - And Album Linkr for a better last.fm desktop browser experience...