Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Metadata not displaying in playlists/now playing

Longtime, infrequent-posting ultra-happy Squeezeboxer here... I have been running into a really odd issue with manually-tagged files lately that is starting to drive me crazy, and I'm hoping someone has run into this before and can point me in the direction of a fix.

I've downloaded a bunch of shows from archive.org and other sources of ROIOs. As others have remarked upon, these shows are typically untagged or very poorly tagged, and require extensive manual cleanup. Here's the workflow I've been using:

• Files downloaded on a Mac laptop

• Tag with Foobar2000 + LiveShowTagger, running under Wine

• Copy to Vortexbox (Linux + Squeezebox distro)

The files are immediately recognized by Squeezebox server, and all metadata appears to have been imported correctly, e.g. everything shows up in search and plays perfectly. Metadata shows in the display on my Boom. But in the web interface and in iPeng, for many but not all of these albums, I see the info on the currently playing song, but the rest of the playlist is completely blank.

I'm baffled. Any ideas?

I had the same problem with another Windows tagging app and Logitech Media Server running on a Linux NAS - I was baffled as well. I noticed in the left pane of LMS my manually tagged MP3s would show 'No Artist' in the third row when viewing a playlist with the manually tagged file, but in other places the Artist would display correctly. I also noticed that browsing by Album would bring up some strange displays compared to other MP3s.

In my tagging app, when I set the Artist, it would create a TPE2 frame (ID3v2.3) with the Artist name.

In LMS 'Settings | My Music' there is an option to 'Treat TPE2 MP3 Tag as Album Artist". The default is to treat it as 'Band'. Here is the pop-up Help display for that item:

The MP3 tag format does not provide a standard way of defining an Album Artist. Some MP3 tagging tools use the TPE2 field for Album Artist (iTunes, Winamp, Windows Media Player) while others may use it for the intended meaning of "Band/orchestra". Select the meaning you would like Logitech Media Server to use. Changing this setting will start a rescan of your music library.

Changing that option fixed my Now Playing List! Apparently, LMS is not consistent is which frame it uses in different parts of the Web interface and if you have no Album Artist, then it doesn't display anything in the lower half of the Now Playing list.

With a quick search I was unable to determine if Vortexbox is running LMS or not, but check your settings and see if you have my option above and let me know if that works for you as well.

Brilliant, thank you, that did the trick!

pretty much the earth uses TPE2 for Album Artist by default. its out of spec but its a de facto standard. treating TPE2 as Band is a very niche legacy option for those few who still want or need it.

in my tagging, i give EVERYTHING an artist and album artist tag. artist is for who is doing the song, whereas i use album artist more for where i want the album to sort. but most of the time, they are the same value.

my sig has links to more related info.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations