Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

PiCorePlayer and Seagate Expansion Portable Hard Drive 1TB Power

Just wondered if a Seagate Expansion Hard Drive will need a powered hub to run with a Pi3 with setup below at the moment it's being powered by a IKEA Koppla with two separate power leads being run to the screen and Pi

Setup
    Pi3
    Pi 7" Touch Screen
    Meridian Explorer 2 DAC

Quote Originally Posted by Eyerex View Post
    Just wondered if a Seagate Expansion Hard Drive will need a powered hub to run with a Pi3 with setup below at the moment it's being powered by a IKEA Koppla with two separate power leads being run to the screen and Pi

Setup
    Pi3
    Pi 7" Touch Screen
    Meridian Explorer 2 DAC
    My quick Google says that the 3 USB ports each have a voltage of 5Vdc. If the HD is using one of those Ports it should be fine.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Eyerex View Post

Setup
    Pi3
    Pi 7" Touch Screen
    Meridian Explorer 2 DAC
    Of course you can try it, but I sure would externally power the drive. Also, I think you might start to have USB problems.....

Network is USB
    Hard Drive is USB
    Dac is USB.

Remembered i had a Intel SSD about which uses less power than a normal hard drive and i'm getting random power warnings but working ok so think the Seagate may take it over the edge so will have to sort out a lead for the drive and see if it will work ok off the spare USB on the Koppla
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Little update as got myself a Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB drive today plus swapped over my USB DAC to my HiFi Berry, had to run two Pi power supplies into setup as was getting power warnings but other than that everything is working great

Name:  IMG_254888888.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  81.2 KB
    Last edited by Eyerex; 2017-07-28 at 07:02.

Hi, I have good experience with this kit:
    http://wdlabs.wd.com/products/wd-pid...yboot-edition/
    and this power adaptor:
    http://wdlabs.wd.com/products/cable-power-kit-3a/

This is simple to use and especially the split USB power cable is very smart.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Little update as got myself an Anker USB Charger PowerPort 5 40W which is powering a Raspberry Pi, 7" Touchscreen, HiFi Berry DAC, USB Hard Drive and DAC with no power warnings
    Attached Images Attached Images