Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

"Secondhand" stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    That's a nice selection of devices Dave
    Hi Archimago!

Thanks for the heads-up: I do my best to reduce the load on the world's landfill sites.

I have had a rather good week. Firstly I got an e-mail out of the blue from the solicitors who dealt with my late mother's estate, which we were under the impression had finally been fully distributed about 8 years ago in equal shares between myself & my 3 daughters, only 6 years after my mum's death in 2003 - he'd been contacted by an insurance company holding a 5-figure investment that had slipped through the net. And for good measure HMRC are so snowed under that they couldn't be bothered to reopen their file, so no tax! Then secondly, in pursuing a Pathos InPol-2 amp at a knockdown price (which I missed, but it was 2005 vintage) I've made contact with a hi-fi dealer who is in the process of supplying a customer with the new Pathos InPol Heritage (very silly money new... ) when he can get one within the next few weeks - & this chap has an InPol-2 which is only 2 years old that he wants to P/X, so I've got first refusal on that one instead.

When I walk down the street, I am now actively on the lookout for stuff to step in, lol...

Dave

Reminder - <2 weeks left to the blind test...

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Hi Archimago!

Thanks for the heads-up: I do my best to reduce the load on the world's landfill sites.

I have had a rather good week. Firstly I got an e-mail out of the blue from the solicitors who dealt with my late mother's estate, which we were under the impression had finally been fully distributed about 8 years ago in equal shares between myself & my 3 daughters, only 6 years after my mum's death in 2003 - he'd been contacted by an insurance company holding a 5-figure investment that had slipped through the net. And for good measure HMRC are so snowed under that they couldn't be bothered to reopen their file, so no tax! Then secondly, in pursuing a Pathos InPol-2 amp at a knockdown price (which I missed, but it was 2005 vintage) I've made contact with a hi-fi dealer who is in the process of supplying a customer with the new Pathos InPol Heritage (very silly money new... ) when he can get one within the next few weeks - & this chap has an InPol-2 which is only 2 years old that he wants to P/X, so I've got first refusal on that one instead.

When I walk down the street, I am now actively on the lookout for stuff to step in, lol...

Dave
    Wow Dave. Interesting description of the week there... Gotta be careful about taxes :-). Don't talk about it cuz the forum has ears directly linked to the HMRC.

Had a peek at that Pathos amp. Lovely looking! Hope you got a good score.

Remember everyone: less than 2 weeks before I shut down the survey. Thanks again for all who have put in their results!
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Your Survey & other matters arising (lol!)

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    Wow Dave. Interesting description of the week there... Gotta be careful about taxes :-). Don't talk about it cuz the forum has ears directly linked to the HMRC.

Had a peek at that Pathos amp. Lovely looking! Hope you got a good score.

Remember everyone: less than 2 weeks before I shut down the survey. Thanks again for all who have put in their results!
    Hi Archimago!

Having just this last Saturday got my elder #1 daughter successfully married off to a very nice bloke (younger #2 got spliced to a very different but equally nice chap in 2016). my diary is freed up (& the emotional relief of no longer having primary responsibility for either of my girls after only 30 years is enormous... ), so I shall make every effort to finally participate!

Pathos Acoustics gear is very nice both aesthetically & aurally, but it's definitely better value s/hand, lol! I've temporarily lost contact with the INPOL-2 guy (although I'm sure that he will rematerialize soon), but in the meantime I've bagged the Pathos Endorphin for a magic ú2700: it's just got to be the world's best looking CD player & is alleged to sound as good as it looks. I already have one of their Digit CD players & that isn't half bad...

Thanks for the warning, but my lawyer contacted HMRC & got an official clearance from them (in writing) that they simply couldn't be bothered to re-open my Mum's estate after all this time: they made ú60,000 inheritance tax the 1st time because the stupid original lawyer wrote the wrong will, so I think they reckon they've had their share!!

Take a butchers at the Endorphin on Google images - it looks like Scotty has beamed it down from the USS Enterprise .

Dave

Your survey

Hi Archimago!

Sorry that I've missed the boat on your survey - my life has literally been on fire for the last fortnight for reasons totally out of my control. Nevertheless, I hope that you got a good response & I look forward to seeing the results...

In the meantime, I now have an "as new" Pathos Endorphin in my possession (after a 500 mile road trip & an overnight stay in Sheffield - sadly not the vibrant place it was when they produced the finest steel.

And just this morning I finally caught up with the INPOL-2 guy, so things could come together there as well.

I lot of time was unexpectedly taken up by what should have been a straightforward Amazon Marketplace purchase of a new Dyson vacuum to replace my 10 year-old but perfectly functional old model (which has even withstood collecting all the bits of glass from a car window that I inadvertently shattered in a futile attempt to close it after one of the cables for the electric control mechanism rusted through & snapped. My options were: 1. turn the car upside down & shake it; 2. take the door off, turn it upside down & shake it; & 3. slyly use the Dyson when my significant other was otherwise occupied. Tricky decision, but I went for #3: it worked a treat, I emptied the dust bin to remove the evidence, & she never found out - just as well, she'd have skinned me alive. ) but which had become awkward for me to use because of my arthritis in my spine.

So I ordered the "animal" version with a couple of turbo heads to extract pet hair from my wool carpet (my big dog days are done because of my back - they have low level 4-wheel drive & I no longer have the ability to brace up sufficiently to rein them in. Pity, I love dogs, & I believe that the big ones make much better pets once you have trained them properly. HOWEVER, I still have the 18 year old cat who takes great satisfaction in moulting everywhere, just because she can, lol). And I get the "Multi Floor" version of the same basic vacuum cleaner, but which doesn't have the required turbine heads. So I e-mail the guy, pointing out that he's sent me a cheaper model of the Dyson, not the one he advertised & that it doesn't suit so I need a return label (at his expense - his mistake, Amazon have a page for the "Multi Floor" model, he's advertised his product in the wrong slot). That should have been it - but no, he steadfastly insists that he's sent the right thing & if it isn't what I want, it's my mistake & I have to pay to return it. This would have been difficult because, contrary to the Consumer Contract Regulations, he hasn't sent an invoice or delivery note & there is no return address on the parcel, so because Amazon anonymises stuff I have no idea who he is. This was Friday 1 September. I haven't even broken the seal on the box, it was obvious from the packaging that it was not the correct item. So I order the right one from another online retail market (which was actually ú11 cheaper, lol) & endeavour patiently to explain to him where he's in error. Brick wall! After SIX e-mails, even my patience was exhausted & I told him that I'd be in touch with Amazon Customer Services...

Who I duly 'phoned at 07:30hrs on Saturday 2 September 2017, to advise that despite my best efforts I couldn't get this guy to admit his error, that I wasn't prepared to waste any more time e-mailing him & they would have to take over.

Then I collected the real thing from a local store collection point around 14:30hrs on Saturday. I proceeded to take a beautiful (!) set of photos of the 2 boxes side-by-side, including close-ups of the paperwork to prove that I had ordered & collected the item I actually wanted after the arrival of the incorrect Amazon order (just got this feeling that I might otherwise be accused of switching the boxes over... ). And sent them. Slowly... I had to use the Outlook cloud server, & it was obviously a little over-burdened - it took about 24 hours for my laptop to successfully fire them up my fibre-optic broadband connection (which itself regularly clocks in at 5MB/s, so the throttling wasn't at my end).

I suggested to Amazon that they tried downloaded my snaps around 04:00hrs BST, before Europe woke up! Anyway, one way or another they got them, & despite advising that the investigation for claims under their A to Z guarantee scheme covering their Marketplace platform, they were obviously impressed by the sheer quality of my snaps & promptly issued a full refund on Wednesday 6 September - which actually cleared in my bank a/c on Thursday 7 September (that must be some kind of record for the UK banking system, lol, again Amazon state that a delay of 5-7 working days should be expected...

So finally, I have the high ground: I have the Dyson I wanted at a seriously cheap price (& boy does it work - one sweep is all you need - it pulled half a dust bag full of gunk out of my wool carpet in my lounge which had presumably been accumulating for 10 years, even though it was vacuumed a week before with my old model: the carpet now looks like new!), I have my money back for the bum deal, bull I still have a big unopened box, now partially obstructing my hallway. More e-mails + calls to Amazon Customer Services...

They seem to be as baffled as me. The vendor has by now rejected my return request on the grounds that I haven't returned the product! Quite apart from the fact that the return postage is down to him, I have no way of sending it back because I don't have his name & address. I point out to Amazon that legal title to the (unwanted) goods has now passed to them when they issued the refund & the best course of action would be for them to give me a return label & send the vacuum cleaner to them, so that they at least had something to flog in return for their refund.

But no! On Sunday 10 September I am advised 1. Amazon don't want it (Jeff Bezos obviously has bigger things on his mind, lol) & 2. if I don't get a return label from the vendor within 48 hours, I am free to dispose of the item in any way that I see fit! All this about a disagreement over return postage cost!?!

Well, now it's Thursday 14 September, still no return label, deadline thoroughly expired. What to do? It's a funny story really, so it seems churlish to seek to profit from it, even though I could easily knock the thing out on eBay or Gumtree (our local area auction site). So I called an excellent local hospice & offered it to them on condition that they actually use it, rather than raffle it or sell it. Once I explained what it was & how thoroughly & quickly it cleans, they went for my offer - I'm dropping it around in the morning.

Almost unbelievable, but not quite...

Dave