Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Track artists for compilations not shown in web interface current playlist

LMS 7.9 See the screen capture below showing the standard Default interface with no modifications. Looks fine in the album/track listing on the left, but not in the current playlist. I don't think the problem is new, but couldn't really say for sure.

Here's how this album is tagged, from View Tags.

Code:
    ALBUM: Reservoir Dogs
    ALBUMARTIST: Various Artists
    ALBUMARTISTSORT: 000
    ALBUMSORT: Reservoir Dogs
    ARTIST: The George Baker Selection
    ARTISTSORT: George Baker Selection, The
    COMPILATION: 1
    DATE: 1992
    GENRE: Soundtrack
    REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN: -3.63 dB
    REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK: 1.00000000
    REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN: -1.39 dB
    REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK: 0.96069336
    TITLE: Little Green Bag
    TRACKNUMBER: 2
    VENDOR: reference libFLAC 1.1.4 20070213
    Last edited by JJZolx; 2017-07-09 at 22:42.

* Edit *

I suppose Now Playing is OK. Problem is only in the current playlist.

I don't get this "Various Artists" idea, I don't have any track by an artist/album artist named "Various Artists".

I don't have anything in the "AlbumArtist" tag for any of my 25K tracks.

I have a lot of compilation albums, they work fine for me.

Code:
    ALBUM: The Art Of McCartneyALLPICTURES: [ HASH(0x9511838) ]
    APPLICATION: HASH(0x98fb2a8)
    ARTIST: Heart
    COMPILATION: 1
    DATE: 2014
    GENRE: Rock
    REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN: -9.78 dB
    REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK: 0.966217
    REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN: -9.24 dB
    REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK: 0.966217
    TITLE: Band On The Run
    TRACKNUMBER: 03
    Name:  nova.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  220.2 KB
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - RPi 2/Max2Play > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - Radio
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3

Could be the ALBUMARTIST tag throwing it off. But it should still work and display the track artist, either in addition to, or instead of the album artist.

So, is this behavior intentional for some odd reason? Why should the type of album or the fact that there's an album artist in the tagging of a compilation affect how the individual tracks are shown in the playlist?

If I have a non-compilation with album artist and track artist, then both of them are listed for individual tracks in the current playlist.

And fwiw: Squeezeplay lists them correctly, showing both the album artist and track artists, in that order.

No track artists for compilations in webinterface, Now Playing or current playlist

I confirm that I see the same, and i believe it has been like this for ages.

If an album is tagged without an ALBUM ARTIST tag (irrespective of COMPILATION tag presence), LMS assigns ARTIST contributors.

If an album is tagged with an ALBUM ARTIST tag but no COMPILATION, LMS assigns TRACK ARTIST contributors, rather than ARTIST contributors.

However, if an album is tagged with an ALBUM ARTIST and COMPILATION tag, LMS assigns ARTIST contributors to the tracks, not TRACK ARTIST contributors.

The web UI Now Playing shows the ARTISTS + ALBUM ARTIST associated with the currently playing song.
    The web UI Current Playlist suppresses ARTISTS for songs, instead overriding the display with the ALBUM ARTIST.

A few years back I wrote some SQL that converts ARTIST contributors to TRACK ARTIST contributors for compulation albums so everything was more consistent. I ran the SQL after any library rescan. Seemed to do the job. Haven't run it in a while, thanks for reminding me!

update contributor_album
    set role=6
    where role=1 and exists (select 1 from albums a where a.id = contributor_album.[album] and a.compilation = 1);

update contributor_track
    set role=6
    where role=1 and exists (select 1 from tracks t join albums a on t.[album] = a.[id] where t.id = contributor_track.[track] and a.compilation = 1);

This makes the Current Playlist display songs the same way as the Now Playing song panel, however it still shows ALBUM ARTIST + TRACK ARTIST.
    This is different to the display when browsing to the album, which shows only the track artists in the track listing.

I don't like that the ALBUM ARTIST is shown as well as TRACK ARTISTS (as the context of now playing display is a song), to me it should list the song artists (TRACK ARTIST contributors) only.

eg. For the Peter Gabriel album "... and I'll scratch yours", I have tagged this with ALBUM ARTIST = Peter Gabriel, but he doesn't actually sing on any song; all songs are covers by other albums, but I like it to appear in the list of Peter Gabriel albums. When a song plays, it appears with the album artist + track artists, such as "I Don't Remember by Peter Gabriel, David Byrne".

I haven't got a solution to that one, just have to live with it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    I don't like that the ALBUM ARTIST is shown as well as TRACK ARTISTS (as the context of now playing display is a song), to me it should list the song artists (TRACK ARTIST contributors) only.
    Oh, I agree. Not only that, but if the song is tagged with a COMPOSER (as being the obsessive tagger I am, most of mine are), that is shown in Now Playing as well. It makes for a rather messy display; like you, I want to see only the TRACK ARTIST in Now Playing.

so many inconsistencies...

first, the comp tag shouldn't (philosophically speaking) have anything to do with anything, other than browsing comps, or assigning an AA value to something that otherwise doesn't have one.

second, there should not be an artist and track artist distinction. no one has that in their tags. they simply have artists.

its def the case that Album Artist should not be showing up in the playlist. that should only happen in the narrow and unlikely case that a track has no artist tag at all (but does have an AA tag. and it should probably be optional, otherwise leave blank or use the filename).
    Last edited by BJW; 2017-07-30 at 16:50.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations