Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Transporter not playing large (24/96) files properly

This is weird, and recent. I have 2 Transporters. The newer one (and the one in the far room) won't play certain hi-def files properly. There is massive distortion and the 2 players get out of sync. I've tried a switch from wireless to ethernet but that does not solve this.

However, if I play these same files via the wavin:0 app, no problems at all. Also no problems on "regular" 16/44.1 files. I think I can eliminate hard drive or cable problems.

Any clues? Thanks.

try a xlinx reset. remove power from transporter, point remote at transporter holding down the "1" key, and reapply power. When you see the message about "xlinx" reset on the transporter screen, you can quit pressing the 1 key. let transporter reboot. You won't lose any settings doing this. xlinx reset often solves a lot of weird problems.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

If these files are flac you may try to recompress them with a blocksize of 4096 that is default for recent flac versions. I had files compessed with level 8 and a blocksize of 4608 that stuttered. If it still stutters use a lower compression level like 6 or 5 that is default iirc.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    If these files are flac you may try to recompress them with a blocksize of 4096 that is default for recent flac versions. I had files compessed with level 8 and a blocksize of 4608 that stuttered. If it still stutters use a lower compression level like 6 or 5 that is default iirc.
    Also, were these files created with the most recent FLAC codec. According to Spoon at dbPoweramp, this version of FLAC encoder has a bug that only causes problems with certain players. Not sure if transporter is one of those. But it can't hurt anything to do what Wombat suggests and renencode the flac files to compression level 5 and make sure you're NOT using FLAC ver. 1.3.2. (use 1.3.1 or earlier).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Also, were these files created with the most recent FLAC codec. According to Spoon at dbPoweramp, this version of FLAC encoder has a bug that only causes problems with certain players. Not sure if transporter is one of those. But it can't hurt anything to do what Wombat suggests and renencode the flac files to compression level 5 and make sure you're NOT using FLAC ver. 1.3.2. (use 1.3.1 or earlier).
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try all of these and report back within a couple days. Yes, those are FLACs, purchased 2/2015 apparently. I'm seeing "FLAC reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917" under "encoder".

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I have run into a similar problem when trying to play back flac files encoded with Lavf (usually version 5). I use dbpoweramp to convert the files to FLAC version 1.3.1 and then the files play without any problems.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    This worked! I used dbPowerAmp to rewrite/override files at #5 compression level and it seems fine now. "db" still shows 4608 bit rate under "details", but whatever.... I didn't even need to rescan. Thanks!

(For the record, this was Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti which I purchased from livedownloads.com. It seems that some of the other Zep "fat" files have the same issue.)

Nice it worked! The bitrate and blocksize and the number 4608 does have nothing in common.
    It is a pure coincidense. 24bit 96kHz has a bitrate of 4608kbps. flac compresses into frames of a steady blocksize that has a maximum of 4608 samples per block for sampling rates up to 48kHz. This was used as default earlier but now it uses 4096 samples.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers