Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good news: ongoing production of Boom, Classic, and Transporter displays

Hi all,

just for your information, Noritake is still producing new displays like MN16032GB (Boom) and MN32032A (Classic, Transporter).
    The MN16032G was recently replaced by the MN16032GB which is a different revision with same dimensions and pinout but slightly different electrical characteristics. I have checked and can assure 100% compatibility with the Squeezebox Boom.
    While the G and GB models are indistinguishable on the front side, the changes in the control logic part seem pretty fundamental. Anyway, nobody needs to worry about displays running out of production any time soon.

These are closeups of the back sections where the changes are most apparent. The early model had a single chip on glass to provide the interface and drive the grid and pixel lines. The new model has two individual chips in the same place.
    MN16032G on top, the MN16032GB below. They're kind of beautiful

Name:  2017-06-13 11.55.42 IMG_3887_Thumb.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  272.9 KB

Name:  2017-06-13 11.54.54 IMG_3886_Thumb.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  270.4 KB
    1x Squezeebox Classic SB2
    5x Squeezebox Classic SB3 (one waiting for repair)
    7x Squeezebox Boom (two waiting for repair)
    1x Transporter
    1.5x Controller (one waiting for repair)
    1.5x Touch (one waiting for repair)

Thanks for this. The display on my Boom is not readable any more and I'd like to change it. However, I have a few issues I'd be glad if you or someone might adress:

1) You say: " the changes in the control logic part seem pretty fundamental". This sounds like they are not a direct swap out, or have a I got that wrong?
    2) How hard is the display to change? Is it a soldering iron job (if so it looks quite hard due to large number of pins)?
    2) Where can I buy a Noritake MN16032GB. I can't find a seller anywhere?

Thanks
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen

Hi, I have added my replies between the lines:

Quote Originally Posted by ModelCitizen View Post
    Thanks for this. The display on my Boom is not readable any more and I'd like to change it. However, I have a few issues I'd be glad if you or someone might adress:

1) You say: " the changes in the control logic part seem pretty fundamental". This sounds like they are not a direct swap out, or have a I got that wrong?
    Well, the photos show that the circuitry has undergone some massive changes. However, besides minimal deviations, the electrical and logical interface is same as before. You can swap them against each other with no problems.

2) How hard is the display to change? Is it a soldering iron job (if so it looks quite hard due to large number of pins)?
    It is a soldering job, and it's not the easiest one. I would say, on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is hardest, it's a 6. But this is not only due to the requisite desoldering and soldering but also because the Boom is not exactly service-friendly, and a lot of mistakes can be made on the way. My recommended replacement procedure is described in detail here: http://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/2...d-display.html

2) Where can I buy a Noritake MN16032GB. I can't find a seller anywhere?
    Noritake has some sales offices around the world. I recommend purchasing directly from there as intermediate merchants add quite a bit on top of the regular price. Here is what I could find on some of the data sheets:

Noritake Sales Office Tel Nos
    Nagoya Japan: +81 (0)52-561-9867
    Canada: +1-416-291-2946
    Chicago USA: +1-847-439-9020
    Munchen (D): +49 (0)89-3214-290
    Itron UK: +44 (0)1493 601144
    Rest Europe: +49 (0)61-0520-9220
    www.noritake-itron.com

If all else fails, I can send you small quantities directly. It is well-known that the US sales office has irreasonably high pricing, approximately double of what is charged for the same thing in Germany. I am currently in contact with them, asking why and if there is any chance of better pricing in the US any time soon.

Thanks
    1x Transporter

Thanks very much for this Joe.

I've just looked through your instructions. Judging by my experience attempting to change the screen on various mobile phones I think it's better I do not attempt this on my Boom as it'll almost certainly result in a dead device!
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen

Does Noritake sell individual units in any of those markets? I'm skeptical. I'm also skeptical that you'd be able to find many (or any?) distributors who would be buying those to stock and sell to the public. Now, if you want to buy 1500 of them, I'm sure you'd have no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Does Noritake sell individual units in any of those markets? I'm skeptical. I'm also skeptical that you'd be able to find many (or any?) distributors who would be buying those to stock and sell to the public. Now, if you want to buy 1500 of them, I'm sure you'd have no problem.
    No need to worry, they ship displays to me for instance, any quantities I want, and I'm not acting as a company, and no distributor is in the supply chain. It is as easy as can be. Noritake is particularly forthcoming in Germany. It's known that they are not as cooperative in the States though. If all else fails, you could buy from me. Sending from Germany to the US is surprisingly cheap, only around 6 EUR for a registered parcel.
    1x Transporter

If you're doing a bulk order in Germany, I could use a couple for my Transporter, and one for a Boom.

Yeah, I'm definitely interested in a couple spares for my Transporter.

Okay people, please PN me if you want displays. I have the "go" from Noritake Germany to ship displays wherever I want. There won't be conflicting interests with Noritake US, they apparently focus more on business customers. So it appears I am the most inexpensive source for the displays at the moment. Please check for yourselves. If it is no longer true, please feel free to announce better sources here. I'm glad to help but if there is an easier way for US people, it's all the better also for me.
    The pricing is currently 40 EUR for a Boom display (MN16032G or MN16032GB, depending on stock), and 45 EUR for a Classic display (MN32032A), two of which are needed for the Transporter. On top of that, there are 6.50 EUR shipping for registered DeutschePost parcel to the US. Please convert EUR to USD when the time to place your order comes to know what this actually means for your budget. The exchange rate varies a lot recently.
    As I do not plan to keep greater amounts in stock, please allow up to four weeks additional delivery time from Japan to me once I placed my collective order with Noritake (they don't stock a lot themselves here in Germany). So it may take up to six weeks until the display arrives at your door. But you may as well be lucky and I have enough stock to send them off right away. I'll keep everyone informed of course.
    I hope you all are okay with advance payment as I won't be able to afford large orders otherwise. It would also reduce the risk of orders being cancelled, leaving me with stock I don't want. Anyway, please place orders only if you are really sure you want the stuff. The pricing is not going to vary much in the future so you can calculate the final total easily. If Noritake has another price increase like they had recently, I will post new prices here.
    Oh, and about payment, I absolutely prefer classic bank transfer (SWIFT / IBAN). PayPal is available, too, but they tend to lock accounts randomly if they exceed certain amounts of credit. Therefore I prefer to avoid PayPal whenever possible. Please let me know in advance if PayPal is your only option. I will have to check in each case whether it will blow the limit once again or not. Sorry for the mess, but actually it's Paypal's mess.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Last edited by JoeMuc2009; 2017-06-20 at 02:06.
    1x Transporter

I think I'd rather buy one of these. It's an extra $80, but you get the entire assembly, which is much easier to install.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Logitech...EAAOSwLnBXVeDN