Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

ras pi/Server Info.

Hi all.

Got my Ras pi. a week ago and really need to fire it up now.Got loads of info on how to set it up (Which is still on here-but not on "my profile" now-dont know how long its kept on for..). Anyway...Ive got info on how to set up as player...But Iam only using my Pi/HD as a SERVER ONLY.....is this a different set up from player..? or can I assume its about the same.If I remember someone said MAX2PLAY is better Than Picore player, But I will burn image to 2 sd cards and maybe try them both... I got complacent in Having my HD ON P.C. (now its working fine again) but really need to get my head around this Before an update,anti-virus software wrecks it all again !

I think Ive got all the kit now...Just not a HDMI TO AVI adaptor..(but not sure if I need this anyway..With it being Headless )

Thanks all...

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Hi all.

Got my Ras pi. a week ago and really need to fire it up now.Got loads of info on how to set it up (Which is still on here-but not on "my profile" now-dont know how long its kept on for..). Anyway...Ive got info on how to set up as player...But Iam only using my Pi/HD as a SERVER ONLY.....is this a different set up from player..? or can I assume its about the same.If I remember someone said MAX2PLAY is better Than Picore player, But I will burn image to 2 sd cards and maybe try them both... I got complacent in Having my HD ON P.C. (now its working fine again) but really need to get my head around this Before an update,anti-virus software wrecks it all again !

I think Ive got all the kit now...Just not a HDMI TO AVI adaptor..(but not sure if I need this anyway..With it being Headless )

Thanks all...
    I use a Pi3 as an LMS server on piCorePlayer, though I have the music files on a NAS rather than an attached HD. You might need to check the power requirements of a USB hard drive is it's not independently powered. It's pretty easy to set up piCorePlayer with LMS, lots of advice around on this forum and the piCorePlayer site. I haven't tried Max2Play. I don't use any HDMI-AVI adapter (I use it headless, connecting via its web interface or via ssh), and I don't use it as a player.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

thanks for that info. I think someone said I can use it without a power adaptor, But we shall see.Was going to Use a NAS but the Pi route alone seems to work for many folk on here...Its plan B For me if it fails! Can i take it that I can use both pi core player and squeeze control from my tablet to control my SBT..?

If I remember someone said MAX2PLAY is better Than Picore player
    "Better" really varies depending on your needs, experience etc.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

thanks for that info. I think someone said I can use it without a power adaptor, But we shall see.Was going to Use a NAS but the Pi route alone seems to work for many folk on here...Its plan B For me if it fails! Can i take it that I can use both pi core player and squeeze control from my tablet to control my SBT..?
    Well, my Pi3 sits on top of my NAS and is wired to the router. I control it either by the regular LMS web interface or via SqueezePad or iPeng - this means I can control playback to any of the players on the network (currently a couple of Raspberry Pi players, 2 x SBR. 1 x SBT and an iPad).

I have tried a USB hard drive, but it was more trouble than using the NAS to hold the files.

And yes, it is true that either Max2Play or piCorePlayer will best suit your needs, might as well try both.

Robert
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post

I have tried a USB hard drive, but it was more trouble than using the NAS to hold the files.

Robert
    Hi Robert - can you elaborate, please? I've just set up my rPi3, with a JustBoom DAC HAT, and AMP boards on top. I'm powering it from a 19VDC 90W laptop supply connected to the AMP so that it powers everything else. I have my music on a 480GB SSD USB drive, plugged in to the Pi, but it seems to work intermittently. I have "3539 albums with 51547 songs by 8165 artists" according to my other LMS, and was able to do an initial scan to about 39000 songs before LMS seemed to stall out yesterday. Any attempts at rebooting cause my pi to disappear from the network. Remove the SSD drive and it re-appears. Ok, so I've answered my own question... Looks like the power draw of the SSD on the Pi is more than it can handle. :-)

Curious though - I would have thought that the power requirements for an SSD drive would be minimal - certainly less than I spinning disk, no? I hate the idea of putting in a powered USB hub just for one SSD drive...

I was going to ask same question Brawnny -you beat me to it ! It would be good if Grumpy bob could elaborate on why he just did not use a pi to hd..(So I can be aware of these potential issues...) I notice on here some folk say set up of pi is easy and runs pretty flawless..others say they can be a bit temperamental. I guess i wont know till I fire mine up.

(Side issue: Grumpy bob, like you I have a Rega 3 with Goldring 1042 cart.(now about redundant) and Mission 751 Speakers..perhaps the weakest link in my system, but they still sound good for a speaker circa 1993!)

Basically I felt the convenience of using a Pi as a player/server was compromised by the cabling and power supplies for a USB drive (owing to the power supply issues). I ended up with a bit of a tangle of cables. It's a bit more straightforward wired to the router to access the files on a NAS and keeping the Pi server out of the way.

I currently have a PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+ and I found that a quality microUSB power cable was crucial to delivering enough power for the screen, the Pi and the DAC reliably. I think I posted about this some time back.

Even neater is the LMS arrangement I have in my office, with LMS running on a wifi enabled WD Passport drive, using an old model B Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer as a player.

Robert

PS re the Rega Planar 3 - I find myself buying more vinyl these days, so the Rega is getting a bit more use than in the past!

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Thanks for that info G.B. to be honest the cabling is something that bothers me a bit too..For one I need extra Ethernet switch box, Which will need to be powered..(Sky only have given me 2-one goes via PC. Other tplink to SBT Upstairs) my P.C/router is downstairs., Then theres the Pi itself,Then the possibility of needing a USB power adaptor/spliter too add to this my router cable, PC Cable,monitor and a phone in the mix and it becomes cable city !

Iam just wondering if I could a A.point upstairs and use my TPLINK TO MY sbt/Hifi instead.

side note: Sold my LP COLLECTION OF AROUND A 1000, Iam Digital all the way now (With or without cables!)