Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,218

    dBpowerAmp on Linux

    .
    .
    I really prefer dBpowerAmp for ripping CDs. I have used it for years, but I am getting away from ALL Windows platforms. Is anybody on the Forum using the Linux version of dBpowerAmp? Is the GUI the same as the Windows version? Is the ease of use the same? Most of these questions are for those that have used both, but even if you haven't used both and only used the Linux version, I would still like to get your take. Anything you don't like about dBpowerAmp on Linux?

    Comments, thoughts, feeling, likes, dislikes, anything.

    ​​​​​​​Thanks
    .
    .
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

    Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

    Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,076
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    .
    .
    I really prefer dBpowerAmp for ripping CDs. I have used it for years, but I am getting away from ALL Windows platforms. Is anybody on the Forum using the Linux version of dBpowerAmp? Is the GUI the same as the Windows version? Is the ease of use the same? Most of these questions are for those that have used both, but even if you haven't used both and only used the Linux version, I would still like to get your take. Anything you don't like about dBpowerAmp on Linux?

    Comments, thoughts, feeling, likes, dislikes, anything.

    ​​​​​​​Thanks
    .
    .
    I use dbpa, but haven't used the Mac version. However, some of the comments I've read in the past indicate that the Mac version doesn't run on all flavors of Linux. Based on the dbpa forums, the Mac version is missing a few minor features, but for basic ripping and tagging redbook CDs, it appears that the Mac version works well.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  3. #3
    Senior Member iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I use dbpa, but haven't used the Mac version. However, some of the comments I've read in the past indicate that the Mac version doesn't run on all flavors of Linux. Based on the dbpa forums, the Mac version is missing a few minor features, but for basic ripping and tagging redbook CDs, it appears that the Mac version works well.
    .
    .
    Thanks Gary, your post started me thinking and made me go looking elsewhere and caused me to find this:

    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

    Debian Linux Linux Install Instructions Configuration Manual

    Intel Debian x86 Release 5.1.1

    Intel Debian 64 bit Release 5.1.1

    on the dBpowerAmp site via their Forum.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

    Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

    Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,076
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    .
    .
    Thanks Gary, your post started me thinking and made me go looking elsewhere and caused me to find this:

    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

    Debian Linux Linux Install Instructions Configuration Manual

    Intel Debian x86 Release 5.1.1

    Intel Debian 64 bit Release 5.1.1

    on the dBpowerAmp site via their Forum.
    Yes, that's for the dbpa UPNP/DLNA server program (called ASSET). This is not the ripper. The ripper has only Windows or Mac version.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  5. #5
    Senior Member iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes, that's for the dbpa UPNP/DLNA server program (called ASSET). This is not the ripper. The ripper has only Windows or Mac version.
    .
    .
    Great,

    Wonder if anybody has tried to use the Mac version on a Fedora, Ubuntu, or TrueOS machine? Guess it's back to the dBpowerAmp Forum for more digging.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

    Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

    Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

  6. #6
    Senior Member teeitup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    S.F. Bay Area
    Posts
    142
    I used windows version of dbpoweramp on debian linux using wine.
    It worked pretty well. The only real issue was the eject functionality.

    Other Linux distributions have more up to date versions of Wine than debian and might provide better results.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1503129892 @ Sun Aug 20 04:39:12 UTC 2017
    OS: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform: i686-linux
    Perl Version: 5.24.1 - i686-linux-gnu-thread-multi-64int
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
    Total Players Recognized: 4

    Squeezebox3:
    Firmware: 137

    Duet: (2 receivers, 1 controller)
    Firmware: 77

    Boom
    Firmware: 57
    ----------------------------------------------------------

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2

    dbpoweramp runing under wine - a further toast to...

    Quote Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
    I used windows version of dbpoweramp on debian linux using wine.
    It worked pretty well. The only real issue was the eject functionality.

    Other Linux distributions have more up to date versions of Wine than debian and might provide better results.
    I also have dbpoweramp running on Linux and it works well for me!

    I was using Windows 10 but only so that I could use dbpoweramp and foobar2000, I've used Linux for everything else for a couple of years now.

    I have it installed on Linux Mint 18.1 KDE version, with Wine and it works perfectly aside from the fact that I also couldn't get it to automatically eject the CD after it finishes ripping, other than that you wouldn't know it wasn't running as a native application.

    I had to experiment a bit with the CD drive configuration, both getting dbpoweramp to find the CD drive (because Linux mounts things to folders rather than giving them drive letters - so you have to configure Wine to give the CD/folder it's in a drive letter) and getting the settings within dbpoweramp right for the particular drive, so it would read it. But after a bit of fiddling it now working fine.

    I also use foobar2000 as a tag editor and that works very well on the same machine under Linux and Wine.

    I used to use MP3Tag for occasional task, but I couldn't get that to work in Wine.

  8. #8
    Senior Member iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluzplayin View Post
    I also have dbpoweramp running on Linux and it works well for me!

    I was using Windows 10 but only so that I could use dbpoweramp and foobar2000, I've used Linux for everything else for a couple of years now.

    I also use foobar2000 as a tag editor and that works very well on the same machine under Linux and Wine.

    I used to use MP3Tag for occasional task, but I couldn't get that to work in Wine.
    .
    .
    Thanks for the info and for your first post, Welcome to the Forum. Since you have used MP3tag before, have you ever used Puddletag? It is very similar to MP3tag and runs natively under Linux.

    On one of my old PCs, I found Spoon's emails from 11 years ago when I asked about Mac and Linux versions. Back then he said because dBpowerAmp would run under Wine, there probably wouldn't ever be a Linux install version.

    I think I will put TrueOS on one of my old PCs and see if the Mac version will run under that OS, using Wine with Linux as my fallback.
    .
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

    Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

    Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    .
    .
    Thanks for the info and for your first post, Welcome to the Forum. Since you have used MP3tag before, have you ever used Puddletag?
    .
    Yes, I do use Puddletag sometimes and I also have Kid3 installed, the beauty of Linux is the ability to try different software and experiment, without a cost.

    When I finally decided to get rid of Windows, with the reports of the next update doing even more snooping than before, I initially tried ReactOS, which is an open source windows clone, but I couldn't get my Network card working within it, so I then choose to use Wine and I glad that I did as it's working well.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oakville,Ontario,CA
    Posts
    177

    Puddletag

    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    .
    .
    Thanks for the info and for your first post, Welcome to the Forum. Since you have used MP3tag before, have you ever used Puddletag? It is very similar to MP3tag and runs natively under Linux.

    On one of my old PCs, I found Spoon's emails from 11 years ago when I asked about Mac and Linux versions. Back then he said because dBpowerAmp would run under Wine, there probably wouldn't ever be a Linux install version.

    I think I will put TrueOS on one of my old PCs and see if the Mac version will run under that OS, using Wine with Linux as my fallback.
    .
    I'm using Puddletag on Linux for a number of years now, it works very well.

    As an alternative for ripping on Linux you could also use EAC under wine, it works without issues.

    There is also native Linux ripping project, whipper https://github.com/JoeLametta/whipper, that continues the work of morituri. The goal is to have a command line native linux secure rips that are identical to EAC, including logs. Still WIP but getting close I think.
    George

    Transporter->Pathos Logos->Triangle Celius
    Touch->Denon AVRS530BT -> Paradigm Monitor 7
    2 Duets, 1 SB3, 1 Touch, 1 Radio, Transporter
    OnePlus3 -> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, NAD Viso
    2 servers -> Ubuntu Linux, NUC and Synology 1 Bay

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •