Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Squeezeplayer connection dropping/tracks skipping on Android phone

I'm using Squeezeplayer on an LG G5 (Android 7.0) phone to playback music on LMS 7.9.0 (running on Windows Server 2008). The client app on the phone (I have tried both the Squeezer and Squeeze Commander apps) loses connection to the LMS server every few minutes, which results in the current track being aborted and the next track starting. The wifi connection seems to stay up (but I don't know if it is getting briefly interrupted then resuming).

I have excluded all of the squeezebox-related apps from Android's battery optimisation features, but it didn't seem to help.

I don't have the problem if I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet (running exactly the same apps, but on Android 6.0 rather than 7.0).

I also don't have a problem on the phone if using Google Play Music.

Can anyone suggest a way of diagnosing or resolving this?

The client app itself losing connection should not cause the player to abort and skip tracks. Of course, if the client is on the same device as the player then the player would also losing connection.

Try setting your wifi to only use a 5ghz connection. That should help with interference problems. You'll probably have to set your router to use a different SSID for the 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    --------------
    Squeezebox apps for webOS, Android and Windows Phone, http://www.angrygoatapps.com

Quote Originally Posted by wt0 View Post
    The client app itself losing connection should not cause the player to abort and skip tracks. Of course, if the client is on the same device as the player then the player would also losing connection.

Try setting your wifi to only use a 5ghz connection. That should help with interference problems. You'll probably have to set your router to use a different SSID for the 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks.
    The phone was connected to a 5GHz connection at the time (I already have separate SSIDs for 2.4/5GHz). I don't see an option to "only use 5GHz" though???

I thought it interesting that Google Play Music didn't suffer from the same issue. Maybe it handles its data buffering differently?

Quote Originally Posted by itm View Post
    The phone was connected to a 5GHz connection at the time (I already have separate SSIDs for 2.4/5GHz). I don't see an option to "only use 5GHz" though???

I thought it interesting that Google Play Music didn't suffer from the same issue. Maybe it handles its data buffering differently?
    Starting point:
    What are your LMS file formats ?
    IIRC GPM always convert to MP3 but at what bit rate ?

On Youtube Google uses chunked HTTP (e.g. DASH) which allows for dynamic rate adaptions which means if bandwidtrh is not available it switches down to lower bitrate on the fly - They may be using similar on GPM. LMS uses a fixed bandwidthdepending on fiel format.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Starting point:
    What are your LMS file formats ?
    IIRC GPM always convert to MP3 but at what bit rate ?

On Youtube Google uses chunked HTTP (e.g. DASH) which allows for dynamic rate adaptions which means if bandwidtrh is not available it switches down to lower bitrate on the fly - They may be using similar on GPM. LMS uses a fixed bandwidthdepending on fiel format.
    They're all MP3. I've just tried TuneIn radio to check for consistency of wifi connection and that too seems to stop and buffer every couple of minutes, so it does seem that there are temporary drops in the wifi connection.

Is there any way to force the LMS player to buffer full tracks, so that at least track payback isn't aborted when the signal drops?

They're all MP3. I've just tried TuneIn radio to check for consistency of wifi connection and that too seems to stop and buffer every couple of minutes, so it does seem that there are temporary drops in the wifi connection.

Is there any way to force the LMS player to buffer full tracks, so that at least track payback isn't aborted when the signal drops?
    LMS will send whole track to a player if the player wants it (i.e it has a big enoiugh buffer) and if coded the player can continue playing the track even if no LMS connection. You can enable LMS logging to see exactly what is happening btu it looks like Android players keep small buffers.

LMS will send whole track to a player if the player wants it (i.e it has a big enoiugh buffer) and if coded the player can continue playing the track even if no LMS connection. You can enable LMS logging to see exactly what is happening btu it looks like Android players keep small buffers.
    It looks like the SqueezePlayer app doesn't allow any configuration of buffer size.

I've just had a quick look at the LMS logging options and they're somewhat more comprehensive than I was imagining (!). Any tips for which option(s) I need to check what's going on?

It looks like the SqueezePlayer app doesn't allow any configuration of buffer size.
    That would be normal.

I've just had a quick look at the LMS logging options and they're somewhat more comprehensive than I was imagining (!). Any tips for which option(s) I need to check what's going on?
    Enableing network.protocol.slimproto to INFO will generate message which related to the fullness of the "input" (data received) and output_fullness (i.e. data decoded ready to play) - I can't tmemeber if the output_fullness values are fullness/emptiness

The "fullness" value is the input buffer. So player not playing will be zero. Player receiveing data wil have fullness increasing. Player can start playing before input buffer is fullness - so max size of input buffer can happen after track starts playing as player always tries to keep it full (an SB receive buffer has about 3,000,000 bytes)
    Last edited by bpa; 2017-06-11 at 02:28. Reason: added INFO level

So it seems that it may be a bluetooth-related problem...I just managed to play about 20 minutes of uninterrupted streamed songs using a wired pair of phones. I then connected a bluetooth headset at it aborted the first track (skipping to the next one). Could a bluetooth glitch cause the Squeezeplayer app to abort a track and skip to the next one?

The log extract from the relevant time period in LMS is attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

I gave SB Player a buffer big enough to hold an average length mp3 at 320kbps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    --------------
    Squeezebox apps for webOS, Android and Windows Phone, http://www.angrygoatapps.com