Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Favorite Music Artists and favorite Album from them

Who is your favorite artist, what is your favorite album from them, what is your favorite song on that album and if there is an all time favorite song that is not on that album list it. Next what is the favorite Album to show off your audio system and favorite single track? If you listen to a very wide variety of genres and need to name more then one by Genre feel free IE Favorite Classical, Favorite Jazz, Favorite Rock/Pop. I enjoy almost all genres so it is very hard for me to pick, but listening to other music lovers favorites can introduce one to some great new music.

Classical: I really just enjoy most of it

Jazz: Miles Davis, Kind of Blue, All Blue (perfection together: Davis, Evans, Coltrane) All Time Favorite Miles Davis, Stella by Starlight (again Davis, Evans, Coltrane)

Rock: Eagles, Hotel California, Hotel California

Stereo: Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra, Time Warp, depending on which version one owns it's either track 1 Ascent, Introduction to Also Sprach Zarathustra or tracks 1 & 2, 1) Ascent 2) Introduction to Also Sprach Zarathustra (altered version). Most of the tracks on this Telarc CD will test and/or show ones system strengths or weaknesses.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Too difficult to answer, I have no single favourite artist, album or song! Or at least my favourites are a bit transient.
    The band I listen to most is The Fall.
    Most listened track is Transmission by Joy Division.

I listen to very little jazz, folk or classical.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Favorite artist is simply not possible, way too many that appeal to me in different ways. Grew up with 70s rock / prog rock, so harder rock like Led Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult, Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath to more progressive like Yes, Traffic, Steely Dan, Supertramp, Jethro Tull, Genesis, ELP and everything in between. Really did not like the New Wave of the 80s at the time but have developed a greater appreciation for Elvis Costello, Blondie, Cheap Trick and others over the years. Grunge saved rock in the 90s and I primarily listen to alternative and indie rock these days. Everything by Dave Grohl, Jack White, Josse Homme, Chris Cornell (RIP), Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Black Keys, etc. is continuously in my playlist.

For system demos I almost always use the studio recording of Wooden Ships from the Crosby, Stills & Nash albums. The vocal harmonies, bass line, guitar work are so familiar to me that I can fairly reliable get a good "feel" for the system I'm listening to.

Another favorite demo track is the title track from Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs.
    Home: Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS 7.9.0 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic -> NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2
    Portable: FreeNAS 9.3 [HP Microserver Gen8, 10GB RAM, 16GB flash boot, 120GB SSD for LMS 7.9.0 in FreeBSD jail, 5 x 4TB WD Red HD ZFS RAIDZ1] -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic: XLR out -> Soundmaster Diamond 12-2 mixing board -> P.A.

Good thread!

Jazz: I listen to a LOT of Oscar Peterson, Stefano di Battista, Monk, Wes Montgomery, Dexter Gordon, and Cannonball Adderley, along with many others, but my main, constant, go-to album is still Kind Of Blue. It's rare that more than a couple days go by without my putting this one on. Close follow-ups are Adderley's Somethin' Else (which also features Miles, and is from the same era), and the whole Oscar Peterson box set Exclusively For My Friends.

Classical: I listen more to Mozart than any other composer, all around, but my one, top-listening, go-to album is Beethoven's Emperor Concerto, with Ashkenazy as the soloist. Not only is his playing perfect, the engineering and mix on this one are amazing. I play this one a LOT, and often on headphones.

Rock: Very tough to call. I listen to a lot of CSN(Y), Fleetwood Mac (in all their incarnations, from Peter Green to Lindsey Graham), Dylan, J.J. Cale, Warren Zevon, Paul Simon, Alan Parsons Project, and many others, but the Beatles get more play than any other group, and Abbey Road gets the most playing time. A masterpiece.

Blues: A lot of Allman Brothers (especially the Brothers & Sisters album, and the Fillmore Concerts), Gary Moore, Johnny Winter, Paul Butterfield, and classics by Muddy, B.B. King, etc., but the most played album would probably be Stevie Ray Vaughan, Texas Flood.

Folk: Don't listen to folk nearly as often as jazz or classical. When I do, it's quite a bit of Christine Lavin, Arlo Guthrie, and John Prine, but the most often played is Todd Snider, Songs For The Daily Planet. It's an old album, and he's done lots of others that I like and listen to, but I frequently go back to this one.

Stereo/headphones/speaker-system checkout: Usually Alan Parsons Project, I Robot, because of the outstanding engineering and intricate use of stereo separation in the music. But Abbey Road works well, too.