Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Oh yes... multiple UPS battery backups are a must in this house! We have so many it is a squeal-fest in here when the power goes out. The server is on a good one.

unRAID looks interesting. Keep the ideas coming. I'm sure there is a lot out there that I don't know about that fills the gaps of what WHS did. I know it's only a matter of time until some WHS features stop working with Windows updates.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
    Oh yes... multiple UPS battery backups are a must in this house! We have so many it is a squeal-fest in here when the power goes out. The server is on a good one.

unRAID looks interesting. Keep the ideas coming. I'm sure there is a lot out there that I don't know about that fills the gaps of what WHS did. I know it's only a matter of time until some WHS features stop working with Windows updates.
    Glad to hear about the UPS, as power issues cause so many problems people don't thing about. I run our Home Automation on a dinosaur DX4-120 486 from the 90's, it's always been plugged into a UPS and hasn't been shutdown since 2001 (maybe that is why it's still running).

One thing of note, RAID is not true backup no matter what RAID Level/Format is picked as it offers not protection from network corruption, viruses, theft, fire, multiple drive failures, or accidents. Also in my option, RAID is only necessary for large Corporations that lose large sums of money if data is offline or unavailable IE it has no practical purpose for the home users meaning nobody has anything so important that they can't get it off a USB Backup Drive or secondary server a couple hours later. Plus having true backup is only as expensive as having the second NAS/Server as one is doubling up on drives with RAID might as well have them in a second separate box that is not susceptible to the same environment as the main server. My son needs complete true backup so the solution is running a Syncovery Server that auto-backups his Work Server and two laptops plus once a week he does a Syncovery backup to USB Drives. Work Server is in his office, laptops are always with him, and Syncovery Server is at home with the USB Backup Drives stored in a security/fire safe. This is REAL Backup. RAID is not backup, but it can give users the false sense that all is well and that they are backed up. I learned my RAID lesson twice (silly me, once wasn't enough), once by an office fire and second by a direct lightning strike that fried 3 out of 4 drives.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    One thing of note, RAID is not true backup no matter what RAID Level/Format is picked as it offers not protection from network corruption, viruses, theft, fire, multiple drive failures, or accidents. Also in my option, RAID is only necessary for large Corporations that lose large sums of money if data is offline or unavailable IE it has no practical purpose for the home users meaning nobody has anything so important that they can't get it off a USB Backup Drive or secondary server a couple hours later.
    You're missing at least one common home storage scenario where RAID is invaluable. On my file server I now have close to 40TB of media, mostly video. No way in hell am I backing all of that up. I have my music library (less that 2TB) backed up in two different places, and I backup all of my important files, like work projects, photos, etc. And I use that 40TB server for backups of PCs around the house. But to protect the files on that system to some degree from just going *poof* when a hard drive is lost, I use reduntant hard disk storage. Basically non-realtime RAID 6.

Plus having true backup is only as expensive as having the second NAS/Server as one is doubling up on drives with RAID might as well have them in a second separate box that is not susceptible to the same environment as the main server.
    See the above. "Only" as expensive? It would be very expensive for me. I'm not spending that kind of money to backup files that aren't critical.

The second WD-Red HD I bought at the same time as the one I just replaced has increased from 1 to 91 bad sectors in a week's time. I am replacing it under warranty also.
    Sue

Damn. I haven't had so much as a single bad sector on any of the three WD 4TB Reds or one 4TB Green in my file server.

Hopefully you also have backups of your music library and other critical files. Like I said, it may be wise to buy a cold spare for your mirror set. It's vulnerable while you wait around for a warranty replacement. PLEASE make sure you have backups. $137:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHBERSE
    Last edited by JJZolx; 2017-06-12 at 11:03.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
    Oh yes... multiple UPS battery backups are a must in this house! We have so many it is a squeal-fest in here when the power goes out.
    I can so totally relate! "Love" those middle-of-the-night outages where it goes out, comes back, then goes out again just as I'm almost back to sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    One thing of note, RAID is not true backup no matter what RAID Level/Format is picked as it offers not protection from network corruption, viruses, theft, fire, multiple drive failures, or accidents. Also in my option, RAID is only necessary for large Corporations that lose large sums of money if data is offline or unavailable IE it has no practical purpose for the home users meaning nobody has anything so important that they can't get it off a USB Backup Drive or secondary server a couple hours later. Plus having true backup is only as expensive as having the second NAS/Server as one is doubling up on drives
    My primary and backup music drives are all NASes. If the primary dies, I'd just need to edit /etc/fstab to point to one or other backup drive.

More poo-poo. I got the second replacement hard drive and I can't even format it in the server. Stablebit Scanner is reporting problems already and I haven't even set it up. There has got to be something wonky going on with the hardware. For now the server is shut down. When my company leaves today I will do more testing of the drive using a dock outside of the server and then figure my next steps.

Edit: Pretty sure drive bay 2 is killing anything I put in it. Drive bay 3 has problems, too. I could maybe get by with external drives or a multi-drive external docking station temporarily.

There is still a Proliant N54L server box I could pick up on eBay but I'm not sure if it is worth continuing on with Windows Home Server.
    Last edited by MeSue; 2017-06-17 at 09:56.
    Sue

So how does it work with running Windows in a VM on a NAS? I guess there is a way for the VM to start up automatically to run your programs...?
    Sue

Another thought. Do away with a separate server machine and just use my current Win10 desktop PC as our home server. I already run it pretty much 24/7. Hmmm... going to have to think about the pros and cons of that. The home-build case is massive with room for loads more drives.
    Sue