Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    My primary and backup music drives are all NASes. If the primary dies, I'd just need to edit /etc/fstab to point to one or other backup drive.
    Are you saying you have a primary NAS that is mirrored by another completely separate NAS? That would be Backup where as running RAID would not help if something actually happened to the NAS itself which is why RAID isn't true backup. RAID isn't backup, it is temporarily recovery if a single drive or sector goes bad (and that is only holds if the rebuild works, if it errors during the rebuild or finds another bad sector the Array is toast as is ALL ones data as again RAID isn't backup). As our hard drives get larger and large the change of bad sectors or failure to rebuild goes up logarithmically IE RAID 5 and 6 becomes useless and obsolete from the simple fact of drive size.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
    So how does it work with running Windows in a VM on a NAS? I guess there is a way for the VM to start up automatically to run your programs...?
    Is there some reason NOT to build and run a Linux Server? Better security, simple programs, programs to do just about anything you can think of from running your own VPN or automatic backups.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    Is there some reason NOT to build and run a Linux Server? Better security, simple programs, programs to do just about anything you can think of from running your own VPN or automatic backups.
    I guess Linux just scares me. Even when I was more into learning technology, I never got my head around it too well, and these days I am even less inclined. Right now I have a lot of personal stuff going on and I don't know if my brain can handle more. Music and books are my escape. I just want it to work. LOL
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Sooooooo...
    I thought I would open my desktop computer to make sure it had room inside for 3 more hard drives. It does, but I concluded that it would be an aggravation to switch everything. BUT, in the process of opening it up, I knocked some front panel cord loose that my husband had to help me reconnect, then while putting the case back, the stupid cage separated from the plastic outer part of the case and everything came crashing down. Only about an 8 inch drop, but enough to knock something loose that prevented it from powering up. A couple of hours and one crying meltdown later, my desktop is working again. Whew!

This is how everything in my life has been going lately. But anyway...

The bottom line is that my Drivepool file storage is still intact and can be recreated just by deactivating Stablebit Drivepool on the WHS machine and reinstalling it on whatever machine I move the hard drives to. So I am now thinking of just getting a simple SATA 4-bay HD enclosure, like this: http://amzn.to/2sKdCG6

- Run Calibre server and LMS off my desktop PC.
    - Find a new backup solution for our Windows 10 computers. (Suggestions...?)

So basically my Win10 desktop would be replacing the server functions but with external storage instead of internal. I've checked and the eSATA on my desktop supports port multiplier.

Seems to meet my criteria of simple and not too expensive, but it is a dumb idea?
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    Are you saying you have a primary NAS that is mirrored by another completely separate NAS? That would be Backup where as running RAID would not help if something actually happened to the NAS itself which is why RAID isn't true backup. RAID isn't backup
    Yes. A primary NAS and two different, separate, distinct backup NASes. And two cloud backups as well, CrashPlan and hubiC.

A word of caution with sata-pmp and drives in JBOD mode: I think drives get enumerated in the order they contact the sata chip (instead of by position in the bay, as with RAID controllers).
    This makes using block-level aggregation a bit cumbersome to use: if drives don't arrive in the same order every time, the volume can be seen as corrupted.

I don't know how "Drivepool" or whatever you're using handles that case. Maybe you want to check.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    A word of caution with sata-pmp and drives in JBOD mode: I think drives get enumerated in the order they contact the sata chip (instead of by position in the bay, as with RAID controllers).
    This makes using block-level aggregation a bit cumbersome to use: if drives don't arrive in the same order every time, the volume can be seen as corrupted.

I don't know how "Drivepool" or whatever you're using handles that case. Maybe you want to check.
    Thanks for the warning. DrivePool is very forgiving, plus everything is still readable on the disk even without DrivePool. I just plopped the server drives in the new enclosure, reinstalled DrivePool on my desktop and the pool is seen and recreated. Pretty nice. I even found an old drive I had pulled from the server a year ago, and was able to restore some files I thought I had lost. Now that I have DrivePool on my working machine, I am going to create another pool for my working files, which should simplify my life even more.

The enclosure didn't work on eSATA, so I had to use USB3.0. I guess the information I found was wrong about port multiplier being supported. That's fine and actually accommodates a better positioning for the case. I have just installed LMS. It's scanning now and it seems as fast or faster than it was.

I got my husband a 4 TB external drive and he can set up his own backups. We will each just manage our own computer backups. He never used the server shares except for accessing music. I was going to suggest Windows 10 File History for him, and I will have duplication on all my non-system drives. Eventually I would like to set up something for system image backups. (Suggestions welcome.)

Working on getting LMS all set up today, Trackstat stats restored, MIP, SQL playlists, etc. Might have questions along the way... been a while. Miss my music. The silence is killing me and Bluetooth speakers are annoying!
    Sue

Here comes my first set of questions!

I never used iTunes import before because iTunes and LMS were on separate computers. Are there any gotchas for using it? I used to run a script every night to keep my Trackstat ratings in sync with iTunes. Will using it eliminate the need for that?

Startup options... do I need to set this different from the default?

Scanning... keeps starting over and over. (Nevermind, it was because I was changing settings.)
    Last edited by MeSue; 2017-06-21 at 09:32.
    Sue

Sigh.

I thought everything was going well. I had LMS working. Was setting up shares and reorganizing files yesterday.

Then woke up up this morning to find my computer off.

Restarted to find two of the three drives in the enclosure are missing. Windows disk management shows them as RAW. The only one still working is the one that had the least amount on it.

From what I can gather, the master file table is corrupted??? My efforts to repair the file system have been unsuccessful, but all the data still appears. I am using a utility called TestDisk to copy everything I can over to the external drive I just bought for my husband. Hoping it all fits.

This sucks.

Spot checkimg my music files and and a lot of them are glitchy now.

Why was my computer off? It's on a battery backup. I built it with an excellent power supply. There is no evidence that we had a power outage last night.

This really sucks.
    Sue