Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • output555
    • Jun 2017

By-passing SB Touch DAC?

The main reason I bought the SB Touch was to use it as a music server for my Flac and AIFF high-res audio files. However, when I use the S/PDIF digital out from the Touch and feed the signal into my headphone/DAC unit I am underwhelmed by the audio quality. It's far below audiophile standards. Compared to using my FiiO X5 Gen II, the Touch is about half as good in terms of sound quality. So, my question is can I completely by-pass the Touch's DAC and only use it's digital line out, the same as the X5 allows? This would allow me to process a purifier signal through my separate, and much higher quality DAC.
  • iPhone
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by output555
    However, when I use the S/PDIF digital out from the Touch and feed the signal into my headphone/DAC unit I am underwhelmed by the audio quality. It's far below audiophile standards.....
    So, my question is can I completely by-pass the Touch's DAC and only use it's digital line out, the same as the X5 allows? This would allow me to process a purifier signal through my separate, and much higher quality DAC.
    This post doesn't make sense, you ARE by-passing the Touch DAC when you use the SB Touch's S/Pdif out or the Optical Out directly to an outboard DAC. Did you mean you were using the analog RCA Right/Left out to your headphone amp?

So if you ARE using either the S/Pdif or Optical Out on the Touch and its doesn't sound as good as the other way you were listening, you have to have a bad cable as the Touch DAC would completely be by-passed and sound quality should be identical as the DAC is receiving the EXACT same digital file from the Server and is dependent on the Outboard DAC which is the same for both setups. So what you should have in either case is the exact same digital file (comes from you server) and the exact same DAC (it's being feed digitally) into the exact same Headphone amp, so it is impossible for them to sound different unless there is a bad interconnect because no matter what device is feeding digital files to the DAC plays no part as the input is the same digital file which remains unaffected while in the digital domain. Make sure you are using an actual 75 ohm Digital S/Pdif cable and not a 50 ohm mono-RCA cable from the Touch out to the DAC's S/Pdif input.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• drmatt
      • Apr 2013

Indeed.

Though also make sure the touch has not been configured to use bitrate limiting in LMS as your music will be compressed to accommodate, and note that the digital out would only be "bit perfect" if the SBT volume control is set to 100%.

But assuming you are configuring the SBT to just pass unmodified bits then the sound quality is dictated by your offload DAC.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
      --
      Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
      Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Comment

• Mnyb
        • Feb 2006

Buy a raspi using the Touch as a music server is a dead end it barely works .

Yes OP intends to use Touch as the server to not only as player .
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
        Bedroom/Office: Boom
        Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
        Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
        iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
        (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
        server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• drmatt
          • Apr 2013

Yeah, I wouldn't use the SBT as a server myself. Though it does work, if you have plenty of patience.
          --
          Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0

Comment

• Julf
            • Dec 2010

The main reason I bought the SB Touch was to use it as a music server for my Flac and AIFF high-res audio files.
            As others have pointed out, the Touch was never intended as a server - the server functionality was an afterthought and a crude extra. It is a great streamer, so use it as such, and use any old PC, laptop, NAS or raspberry pi as a server.
            "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Comment

• Mnyb
              • Feb 2006

AIFF hires migth need some transcoding that the onboard server on Touch can't handle .

Native aiff and alac above 16/44.1 had some bugs in the past ? , better let a real LMS server turn those to hirez flac with its transcoding
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
              Bedroom/Office: Boom
              Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
              Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
              iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
              (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
              server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• iPhone
                • Oct 2007

The main reason I bought the SB Touch was to use it as a music server for my Flac and AIFF high-res audio files.
                Quick note on a simple Server Idea. First there is the R-Pi (Raspberry Pi) option and second one can use Vortexbox 2.3 ( www.vortexbox.org ) with just about any old laptop, PC, or NAS that has a motherboard or Vortexbox 2.4 with newer 64 bit machines or leftovers. Vortexbox 2.4 with only run on 64 bit machines. I have an Intel NUC (4 by 4 by 2 inch NUC with a 2TB drive running Vortexbox 2.4) that works great. Low power consumption very small footprint.
                iPhone
                Media Room:
                ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
                Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Comment

• drmatt
                  • Apr 2013

OP is absent. Was this a UDP question?

--

Comment

• iPhone
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by drmatt
                    OP is absent. Was this a UDP question?

I should have looked at the OP first before posting for I didn't notice it was his first post. Hope I (we) didn't run him off as we are actually here to help!
                    iPhone
                    Media Room:

Living Room:

Comment

• ralphpnj
                      • Mar 2007

My guess is that the OP is/was a troll trying to cast doubt on the sound quality of the SB Touch while building up the wonders of the "great" FiiO X5 Gen II

Just saying.
                      Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
                      Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
                      Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
                      Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
                      Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
                      Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
                      Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
                      Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
                      Last.fm

Comment

• Julf
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ralphpnj
                        My guess is that the OP is/was a troll trying to cast doubt on the sound quality of the SB Touch while building up the wonders of the "great" FiiO X5 Gen II

Just saying.
                        Considering it was his only posting, I think you are right.
                        "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Comment

• iPhone
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Julf
                          Considering it was his only posting, I think you are right.
                          I even sent the OP a PM to let him know not to read any tone into my post and that I didn't notice it was his first post yet because his first post was in the Audiophile section, that wasn't a good place to start. I offered different things for him to check and try.

Mainly to run an LMS Server not mini-server on the Touch and make sure the the volume is at 100% on the Touch so there is not bit reduction.
                          iPhone
                          Media Room:

Living Room:

Comment

• drmatt
                            • Apr 2013

I have to say it's a crap marketing tactic to go slagging off a much loved obsolete music streamer to attempt to plug your portable music *player*. It's not even got a common function to talk about, it's just, different.

--

Comment

• Golden Earring
                              • Feb 2017

Marketing

Originally posted by drmatt
                              I have to say it's a crap marketing tactic.
                              I'm of the opinion that all marketing tactics are crap...

Dave

BTW, I'm preferring the prospect of the UK's incipient "Coalition of Chaos" to the politicking on the left-hand side of the pond !

Comment

Working...