Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Hifiberry Digi+Pro + RPi3?

    I want to try this but how do I stream Tidal? Can the BubbleUPNP server let me stream Tidal? Or other server?

    I don't listen to any local files. Just streaming.

    I have SBT as my streamer and I have no reason to replace it other than to try something new.

    I currently run the LMS via MaxPlay2 and RPi3. I am thinking if I can make this all in one unit instead two. It may improve the sound?

  2. #2
    Senior Member iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by celo View Post
    I want to try this but how do I stream Tidal? Can the BubbleUPNP server let me stream Tidal? Or other server?

    I don't listen to any local files. Just streaming.

    I have SBT as my streamer and I have no reason to replace it other than to try something new.

    I currently run the LMS via MaxPlay2 and RPi3. I am thinking if I can make this all in one unit instead two. It may improve the sound?
    .
    .
    Sounds like you already have the solution.

    A SB Touch and an LMS server is all you need for streaming. Best files from Tidal are only Red Book CD as FLAC. A Digi + Pro isn't going to improve the sound over the SB Touch when the source is only FLAC. Also no reason to pay extra for the + Pro if you don't plan to do anything other then streaming (streaming takes bandwidth so high HiRes files are a long time off). The SB Touch is perfect for streaming plus the SB Touch keeps the "Player/DAC" away from the server/computer. Just my two cents.
    .
    .
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

    Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

    Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

  3. #3
    Thanks for the reply.

    Should have mentioned. It is Tidal HIFI.

    I thought keeping two units together all-in-one ( Digi Pro and Raspberry) would be better than SBT connecting to Rpi3 via local network.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,433
    Quote Originally Posted by celo View Post
    I thought keeping two units together all-in-one ( Digi Pro and Raspberry) would be better than SBT connecting to Rpi3 via local network.
    No reason why it should be better - the higher clock rate processor in the RPi probably generates more noise than the one in the SBT (for those who worry about that).
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

  5. #5
    Senior Member iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by celo View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

    Should have mentioned. It is Tidal HIFI.

    I thought keeping two units together all-in-one ( Digi Pro and Raspberry) would be better than SBT connecting to Rpi3 via local network.

    Thanks.
    .
    .
    That is exactly what I am saying, Tidal's so called HiFi is ONLY Red Book CD FLAC files when it's at its best. It is NOT hires 24/96 or 24/192 IE the SB Touch has a very nice DAC that can easily handle better files then Tidal will most likely ever stream (at least in the foreseeable future). I am with Julf in that I don't see any advantage to the Digi + Pro since it is sitting right on top of an unshielded overwork R-Pi.

    Remember that in almost all cases "Separates" sound better then integrated or all-in-ones, there is a sound reason for this even though "Separates" require additional cabling. And when it comes to Digital Media Players, one must also remember that until the digital audio stream is converted by the SB Touch DAC or feed to a standalone DAC, it is immune to noise and interference (only actual interruption or stoppage can affect it) which is an added bonus plus more of a reason to use "Separates". As far as the DAC is concerned all Zeros are perfect Zeros whether they are dirty zeros or perfect zeros because in the digital world any Zero is a Perfect Zero and any One is a Perfect One because no matter how dirty it is it HAS to be either a One or a Zero. This even holds true for the Digi + Pro right up to the point that the DAC is a DAC and does its job IE Digital to "Analog" Conversion, that last Analog part is what is no longer immune to sitting right on top of an unshielded PC.

    Now if you need an additional Player, the project suites that just fine, I would just use the regular HiFiberry DAC though since you only plan to do Streaming. But I would still buy a second R-Pi so the "Player" is is just that, a player and the other R-Pi is a standalone server. Again just my thoughts. The few I have been able to listen to have been the guys using R-Pi with the Digi + S/PDIF feeding their external DAC of choice. This setup completely eliminates any possible R-Pi interference by distancing the DAC from the R-Pi via the 75 ohm Digital S/PDIF cable, YMMV.

    Enjoy the Music!
    .
    .
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

    Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

    Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    1,934
    [QUOTE=celo;884675]I want to try this but how do I stream Tidal? Can the BubbleUPNP server let me stream Tidal? Or other server? /QUOTE]

    The answer to this is yes (code for 42) also Qobuz

    http://www.hifizine.com/2016/06/how-to-stream-tidal-to-the-raspberry-pi/


    If you have the bits and bobs give it a try, let your ears decide if you like it.



    Ronnie

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Watford, UK
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    I am with Julf in that I don't see any advantage to the Digi + Pro since it is sitting right on top of an unshielded overwork R-Pi.
    [followed by stuff about how the DAC should not sit on top of an unshielded RPi because the analogue output will be affected by noise]
    All of what you say would make sense if the OP were talking about the Hifiberry DAC+.
    But he's referring to the DIGI+, which is an SPDIF output board, which would then be used to feed an external DAC.
    Given the known flaws in the RPi's USB system, I think using a DIGI+ to feed SPDIF to an external DAC may be preferable to using the RPi's USB to feed a DAC.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

  8. #8
    Sorry for missing out on the details.

    Yes, I am using an older DAC with no USB and only up to 44.1 support. Don't want to change my DAC. Just purchased and love it.

    I thought that RPi3 with Digi+Pro would eliminate the connection of the SBT to the server (RPi3) over the network. Thus, giving me better sound?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,433
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    All of what you say would make sense if the OP were talking about the Hifiberry DAC+.
    But he's referring to the DIGI+, which is an SPDIF output board, which would then be used to feed an external DAC.
    Given the known flaws in the RPi's USB system, I think using a DIGI+ to feed SPDIF to an external DAC may be preferable to using the RPi's USB to feed a DAC.
    That would make sense, except that the OP states "I thought that RPi3 with Digi+Pro would eliminate the connection of the SBT to the server (RPi3) over the network. Thus, giving me better sound?", so it is all about the network, not the connection to the DAC.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

  10. #10
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,433
    Quote Originally Posted by celo View Post
    I thought that RPi3 with Digi+Pro would eliminate the connection of the SBT to the server (RPi3) over the network. Thus, giving me better sound?
    What makes you think it would? The network connection is a buffered, bit-perfect path, and actually might pose less of a load on the RPi than the USB connection. As long as you don't get bad network congestion, resulting in clearly audible dropouts, the network doesn't affect the sound.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •