Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Charging Cradle - Repair

Hi,

I have read the thread on the issues with the cradle, tilt forward, etc., but it doesn't seem to match my situation, so I am asking for any thoughts, and/or instruction for how to disassemble, and maybe a schematic (if there are any active components inside).

Anyhow, one of my original cradles, worked for years, stopped charging. On investigation, I measure 5.1v at the pins. I have not measured under load, nor have I tried to find my scope to look for noise on the supply.

I have other cradles and controllers and swapped to confirm it is that cradle.

Any thoughts on how to disassemble, what to look for before before I do it blindly and probably destroy it?

Thanks;
    Jim

PS - bought my first used BOOM for a summer cabin that has dsl, and didn't want anything big up there (amp speakers, etc). What a fine sounding and operating product. Kudos to the developer. I loved it so much I bought another without a spot for it, but I'll find one!

no ideas? or, nobody home in the duet forum?

Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    thank you, yes, I searched and found that thread The controllers are not my problem, the charging cradle is. My question was specific to the cradle. My other searched turned up nothing on the cradle

even though I have a few controllers, so I have other charging cradles, it means one is not in the cradle and unless you turn it completely off, the battery goes dead in a short time.

and, yes, I use both an android and ipad app, it's just nice to have the controllers for quick control and "now playing"

Jim

That thread is really regarding the power supply for the cradle. That user's Controller had quit charging in the cradle so he ended up replacing the power supply to the cradle and now his Controller charges just fine. If I'd thought you were asking about anything other than the charging cradle I wouldn't have responded with the link I gave.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

ok, I now understand your point of forwarding the thread. I had read it before, but I guess I was so focused on either a way of diagnosing the power supply, or disassembling the cradle, that the fact that the poster replaced the power supply was completely lost to me when I read it, and again when you referenced it. Before you explained why you referred it, that is.

I suppose I could snip the cable of a couple cradles, and swap seeing if the problem stays with the charger or the cradle, but I think I would rather open it up if possible and disconnect at the pcb interconnection point. That's why I asked about disassembly.

I could also snip the bad cradle and mini clip wires of the bad cradle to the pins of a good cradle, plug in the good cradle and see if the "bad" cradle charges (yes = power supply bad, no = cradle bad). This way I only snip the bad one...hmmmm

Thanks for your thoughts

Jim