Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Basic voice control using Google AIY

Has anyone started work on using Google AIY Voice Kit (voice control as a basic Google Home) to control LMS?

There is a Raspberry Pi HAT board and supporting software that was given away with the May issue of "The MagPi" magazine.
    One piece of good news is that most of the software does not rely on the Google board being used.
    In theory it can work with any Linux supported Mic and sound output (e.g. local analogue or HDMI).

The local capabilities do not have the "intelligence" to semantically understand a spoken sentence but it does a good job to Voice-to-text.

I wrote some code to make it control some Pimoroni lights and can see how it could readily perform tasks like
    select player X
    Pause
    Play
    Play Favorite Y
    Play Artist Z

I know that there is great work being done by meep on getting things to work with Amazon Echo Alexa and I know from personal experience that this works with an emulated Alexa on RPi. However, it does require a cloud service.
    The potential is there with Google Voice Kit to do it all locally I think (and/or use Google voice service in cloud).

I have a very basic version now working.
    I tried using the Python libraries of LMSTools and PyLMS.
    I had problems with both running under Python3 (3.4) that came with the Google AIY kit.
    I managed to make a few hacks to get PyLMS to work (at least enough for me) and hard-coded things like IP address and MAC address of a player... and it works.
    I can play/pause/stop by voice.

I'll have a go at getting it to recognise players by name and a favourite by number.

Operation is like this:
    OK Google ..... squeezebox play

Will follow with interest. Sent the echo back as I'm not sold on voice right now but I think home has a lot more potential and use cases for me.

Very interested!

Got my Google Home today - an amazing box and am very impressed with the possibilities.

Controlling my LMS with it would be a huge boon and significantly cheaper in the long run than subscribing to Google Home Music...

My hack was on the Raspberry Pi implantation of Google Home. I don't think the same approach would work with a real Google Home because, I presume, it needs a hosted service.
    Peter Mee's Amazon Echo implementation is probably a good starting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Paul

People might be interested to know that I'll be bringing HabTunes LMS voice control to Google Home soon.

Want to get the functionality finalised on Echo first and we're almost ready to move to Beta. Once I get that into Amazon certification, I'll start building out the Google app. All the heavy lifting is already done in the skill logic and companion plug-in so it will just (!!) be case of implementing the speech model in Google.

ALEXA LMS SKILL: http://www.hab-tunes.com | Twitter: #habtunes
    Personal HA BLOG: http://mediaserver8.blogspot.com

Squeezebox | Squeezebox Radio x 2 | Squeezebox Duet