Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Tagging for live concerts

I was curious how most people are going about tagging their concert collections. I have been tagging my shows this way:

Artist: U2
    Album: Live at XXX on XX-XX-XXXX
    Title: Name of song
    Track: 1-20 or 1-1-10 and 2-1-10 depending on if the show is broken up into two discs
    Artwork: Embedded in each track

I lament that I haven't hit upon a way to incorporate the quality and source (AUD, SBD etc.) of the recording in these tags and was curious how others are doing it. So how are you tagging your shows?

I put that info in the album field.

Such as- Album: Live at XXX on XX-XX-XXXX SBD

I add it to the Album Field as well, but only if it isn't SBD.
    yyyy-mm-dd, venue, city, [state, ]country[ - Origin]
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + Squeezepad (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Aune X7S + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

same as bakker_be

Album Name: Year - Month - Day - Venue - City, State [AUD] (if no [AUD], I assume SBD or matrix)

eg., 1977-05-08 - Barton Hall - Ithaca, NY
    If I have an official release of something, it might be:
    1977-05-08 - Barton Hall - Ithaca, NY - GSTL Box Set
    (GSTL is short for "Get Shown the Light")

In comment tag, I might add additional info if particularly pertinent (to me).

Artist: name of artist
    Genre: Live Concert
    Title: name of song
    Tracks 1 - N (I don't bother with keeping things organized in multiple disks, etc. I simplly renumber tracks from 01-N from beginning to end. And I apply ReplayGain values to entire concert as "one album")
    artwork: cover.jpg in album folder

EDIT: none of the above applies to commercially released albums (e.g., Allman Brothers Band, Live at the Fillmore East or Humble Pie, Rockin' the Fillmore, or Hot Tuna's first album, or John Mayall, Turning Point, etc.). That said, for things that are part of a "official release of unofficial recordings, I still use the "year - month - day - venue, city, state" approach. As for example with the Grateful Dead Barton Hall recent release noted above, or a "Dick's Picks' series release. I tag these more like unofficial live shows than like original release albums.
    Last edited by garym; 2017-05-15 at 13:54.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

One thing I truly dislike about nearly all sources of ROIO's is the seeming insistence on lousy tagging. DxTxx.flac, very nice as a file name, no info in the tags, only an accompanying text file. Lots of manual work to set everything right
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + Squeezepad (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    One thing I truly dislike about nearly all sources of ROIO's is the seeming insistence on lousy tagging. DxTxx.flac, very nice as a file name, no info in the tags, only an accompanying text file. Lots of manual work to set everything right
    agree. There's a component in foobar2000 called "live show tagger" which works quite well (most of the time, particularly on downloads from live music archive at archive.org). If a show has a text file that shows listing of track names, etc., this tagger will parse that text file and automatically add the track names (and venue and other things) to the metadata. I often use this as a first step before cleaning up metadata to suit me.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I'll have to try that out.

I really do not mind the work of tagging ROIOs as it ensures a level of consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    agree. There's a component in foobar2000 called "live show tagger" which works quite well (most of the time, particularly on downloads from live music archive at archive.org). If a show has a text file that shows listing of track names, etc., this tagger will parse that text file and automatically add the track names (and venue and other things) to the metadata. I often use this as a first step before cleaning up metadata to suit me.
    That's a real good tip. Thanks!

Thanks guys for the feedback. Adding the source of the show to the title is an obvious thing to do, to bad I didn't consider it until now. I too wish that when folks would upload shows they would at least tag the files with the artist, date and song names but that is a small price to pay I suppose. It still beats shelling out big bucks for poorly produced "bootlegs" like we had to do in the old days though.