Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS won't access \media folder

I am in the process of setting up a new LMS-machine. Right now testing Mint 15, planning on Mint 18.1. Everything goes fine, except for one thing: I can't get LMS to access my music folders!
    My Flac partition is mounted on \media\vansloneker\Flac and LMS does not see anything inside \media.

I followed the guide on http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Debian_Package to add LMS as group and set permissions, I tried setting permissions on the command line as well as with the file manager: alas.

I spent hours on Google and found no way out.

On my current machine I have mounted my Flac partition on \mnt\flac and I can't remember if I had problems getting it to find it there.
    But having the partition mounted on \media is sort of standard and easier to access with the file manager that's why I would like it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vansloneker View Post
    I am in the process of setting up a new LMS-machine. Right now testing Mint 15, planning on Mint 18.1. Everything goes fine, except for one thing: I can't get LMS to access my music folders!
    My Flac partition is mounted on \media\vansloneker\Flac and LMS does not see anything inside \media.

I followed the guide on http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Debian_Package to add LMS as group and set permissions, I tried setting permissions on the command line as well as with the file manager: alas.

I spent hours on Google and found no way out.

On my current machine I have mounted my Flac partition on \mnt\flac and I can't remember if I had problems getting it to find it there.
    But having the partition mounted on \media is sort of standard and easier to access with the file manager that's why I would like it that way.
    On LMS under Setting/Basic/Media Folder have you entered the new path you are using and most important did you verify the exact spelling of each path word and capitalization? You typed \media\vansloneker\Flac might it actually be flac? Also I use Fedora and it requires a forward / between file names does your OS require backslashes \ ?
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

It is usually a permission issue
    Ownership of the folder/files needs may need to be changed. You can try this it has worked for me on new installs:
    Here's one for anyone struggling with Linux file permissions.
    It is run from a terminal window in the main folder housing your
    music collection. Basically it does two things: 1) ensures all folders
    and files are owned by your user account; 2) makes all directories and
    files r/w to your account and read only to all others. Note : change username:groupname to your reflect your computer
    Code:
    sudo chown -R username:groupname * && find . -type d -execdir 
    sudo chmod 775 {} \; && sudo find . -name "*" -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...le+permissions
    Last edited by SlimChances; 2017-05-11 at 10:13.
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1504317335 @ Mon Sep 4 07:13:56 UTC 2017
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi

Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Quote Originally Posted by SlimChances View Post
    It is usually a permission issue
    Note : change username:username to your own name as used in terminal

Code:
    sudo chown -R username:username * && find . -type d -execdir 
    sudo chmod 775 {} \; && sudo find . -name "*" -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...le+permissions

STOP

Code:
    sudo chown -R username:groupname
    !!!

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Debian_Package#Users_and_Groups

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post

STOP

Code:
    sudo chown -R username:groupname
    !!!

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Debian_Package#Users_and_Groups
    Sorry your quite right . I will correct it, although I did it that way without issue
    Last edited by SlimChances; 2017-05-11 at 10:14.
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1504317335 @ Mon Sep 4 07:13:56 UTC 2017
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi

Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Thanks for the replies.
    I installed Mint 18.1
    The music partition is automatically mounted by the name FLAC.
    I applied the Debian Package page.

Sadly, it's the same story. LMS apparently has no access to /media and the mounted partitions.
    Again I tried several approaches, like allowing lms via the file manager.
    But no luck.

By going into the /media folder then setting chmod -R 664 /vansloneker/FLAC I got LMS to see /media/vansloneker. But not /media/vansloneker\FLAC

Going into /media/vansloneker then chmodding FLAC doesn't help either.

Here's a clue, on the command line I can't cd into FLAC: permission denied.

With the filemanager looking at permissions as root, every single folder has the remark: "the folder permissions are inconsistent" and the option to fix it. I wonder if this has to do with copying the files disk to disk on another machine using FreeFileSync. However, another partition made on this machine is also inaccessible for LMS.
    Anyway I will try to format the partition and start all over, see if that changes anything.
    Last edited by Vansloneker; 2017-05-12 at 23:40.

Is it an USB drive ? I sugest mounting it via fstab instead of automatically ?
    Last edited by Mnyb; 2017-05-15 at 18:40. Reason: Sorry for the nth time for iPhone spelling
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

No it's a regular partition. Ext4 SDA4.

Update:

I tried everything. New installs, existing Mint installations. 15, 17, 18. All the same.
    A big dent in my Linux confidence. Must be some Mint bug though.

So I had to find a different approach. I decided on the latest Debian 8.8. Installing wasn't easy. The small image netinstall failed. Tried again with DVD ISO with non free drivers. Debian has a weird approach to partitioning, better leave that alone and go for guided full disk, later boot external and resize-add partitions to fit your needs.
    Debian is not user friendly and misses many obvious things you find in *buntu's. By default it looks like Windows 3.1. Anyway I got LMS up and running and detecting my files in /media/FLAC. That is not /media/vansloneker/FLAC like it used to be on my current system so I will have to edit my playlists.

I had a hard time getting access through Samba. Solved by editing and saving a sample samba.conf.

It's still a setup on a test-rig. What remains is moving the setup to a disk and PC where it is supposed to. Never a problem, but with all the difficulties not so sure.
    Last edited by Vansloneker; 2017-05-20 at 13:58.