Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    The Pi 3's built-in wifi is IMHO very nice. It's small, it's 'free', and it works reliably. It is certainly worth experimenting how signal strength fares inside your box with cover closed and with cover open... Adding ventilation holes/louvers would probably be a good idea, at least in a domestic environment. This alone could affect reception strength.
    I also have an old radio that I've considered as a housing - its made out of some sort of bakelite-like plastic, so might be better if I'm going to use wifi. If I do use the metal lunch box, it would be pretty straightforward to cut out a spot and put in some sort of mesh for ventilation... I'll have to think on this a bit before I start cutting holes in the box or pulling old tube circuits out of the radio...

In any case, I would highly recommend to have the contraption cross-checked by a trained electrician before putting it in operation. Besides, after the audit you can give a sound demo and help the LMS/DIY cause
    Good suggestion. I studied electronics in school a few decades back, and a few careers ago. Its been a while but hopefully I can still put a circuit together without electrocuting myself. :-)

BTW. I think you mentioned something like carefully chosen speakers in your OP. I went the big power route because I wanted to use any speakers and cables. I have driven 4 to 8Ω bookshelf speakers and 8Ω floor standing speakers. I lent the device for a while to a pal who connected 4 speakers using common electric cord... I am no audiophile, but given enough current I think this amp is really capable and does sound good with quality audio gear. Not a gadget but a real system.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for - not a gadget but a real system!

Cheers!
    Brawny

Quote Originally Posted by brawny View Post
    I also have an old radio that I've considered as a housing - its made out of some sort of bakelite-like plastic, so might be better if I'm going to use wifi. If I do use the metal lunch box, it would be pretty straightforward to cut out a spot and put in some sort of mesh for ventilation... I'll have to think on this a bit before I start cutting holes in the box or pulling old tube circuits out of the radio...
    I am desperate when it comes to actual fabrication, so I will let you choose your poison.

Yesterday I looked into the wifi and grounding thing. I have a wooden enclosure here with a grounded chassis and continuity between everything (Pi, amp, psu, ...) and the mains ground pole. Same general design as the one in the picture. Next to it I also have a naked Pi3 with is amp HAT on, sitting pretty on a block of foam, using a laptop-type external PSU. I even removed the standoffs between Pi and amp HAT temporarily, so this one was not grounded at all.

Wifi signal reception strength is exactly the same for both machines. So either I don't know how to ground two metallic parts, or grounding does not affect the wifi antenna operation...
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Hi guys,

In case you want to see the system in action, some great YouTube-channels checked out the system in detail and show it off.

Here is BasicITStuff's 4K video:

And here's Part 1 of NizzyAmps huge Four-Part-Tutorial:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukdOQYOczbQ

Dumb question on input voltages

Sorry to get a bit off-topic and I know this is a dumb question but, knowing nothing of practical electronics, I am puzzled by the apparent disparity in quoted input voltages for the JustBoom Amp. The Technical Information sheet on the JustBoom website quotes values between 5 and 24 volts, depending on speaker impedance and other stuff I don't understand. As someone used to dire warnings as to what happens if you stick the wrong transformer into your kit, I am puzzled as to how the Amp deals with the wide range of input voltage. If someone feels like giving me a very quick and simple education, I would be very grateful.

Regards

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS View Post
    I am puzzled as to how the Amp deals with the wide range of input voltage.
    I'd say it includes a buck converter. So the board can efficiently deal with a wide range of voltage rather than trying to deal with very high amperage when a lot of current is required. I'm not sure but I think that at 24V/3A (continuous) we are getting close to max rated conditions. I wouldn't try a bigger PSU than recommended before checking with tech support.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

I'd say it includes a buck converter.
    Thanks for that. A very clever concept,

regards

Jerry