Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Manual install of Squeezelite fails

Earlier this evening I attempted to manually install Squeezelite on an Odroid-C2 running a minimal install of Ubuntu 16.04. I failed miserably (fortunately I am up and running with "sudo apt-get install squeezelite" -- but that is undoubtedly not the most current version of Squeezelite).

Here's what I attempted:

1. download "squeezelite-1.8.6-957-armv6hf.tar.gz" from https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...ezelite/linux/ (this purports to be the current binary for my Arm64 processor in the Odroid-C2)
    2. extract within the directory I previously made "/SqueezeLite/1.8.6-957/
    3. make sure the "squeezelite" file is set to executable
    4. install known dependencies: "sudo apt-get install -y libflac-dev libfaad2 libmad0"
    5. issue command: "cd /SqueezeLite/1.8.6-957/"
    6. issue command: "./squeezelite -?" (and similar attempts)
    7. ALWAYS get an error "-bash: ./squeezelite: No such file or directory"
    8. dependency problem?!
    9. issue command: "ldd squeezelite"
    10. result: "not a dynamic executable""
    11. WTF?!! didn't I download a binary?
    12. the "binary" I downloaded is about 10x larger than the binary (which works!) installed by "sudo apt-get install squeezelite"
      /usr/bin/squeezelite = 134.61 kB
      meanwhile, /SqueezeLite/1.8.6-957/squeezelite = 1.07 MB !!!

Do I have some sort of profound misunderstanding here? Is https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...ezelite/linux/ not a source of binaries? The GitHub project page certainly isn't . . . Please advise.

I think it is important to clarify a contemporary solution. All the tutorials I found on installing squeezelite manually (for example, GerreLt: http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wo...r-on-raspbian/ ) point to http://code.google.com/p/squeezelite but this is deprecated -- the links to binaries at the bottom of the page do not resolve (they 404)!

Thank you in advance to Ralphy or anyone else who can clarify. [ I hope I am not being too obtuse and have actually uncovered something here. ]
    -------------------------------------------------
    I help administer various Squeezeboxes
    (mostly Classic / SB3 and Touch)
    typically running against LMS 7.9x on LinuxMint 18 or Ubuntu 16.04

Sourceforge is usually sources not binaries.. (the clue is in the question...)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Hi drmatt:

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Sourceforge is usually sources not binaries.. (the clue is in the question...)

Strange comment. SF is actually crawling with binaries!

In the /squeezelite/windows folder there are binaries (zipped together with required DLLs) for sure, so I would say it is not a stretch to expect the /linux folder also contains binaries.

Furthermore, the actual Squeezelite source files at GitHub consist of many, many more files than the three files in the 1.8.6-957 archive in the /linux folder!

Quote Originally Posted by fbachofner View Post
    [*]result: "not a dynamic executable""[*]WTF?!! didn't I download a binary?
    Is the file downloaded marked as executable (i.e. check permissions) ? Some manual download procedures remove executable permissions.

"file ./squeezelite" at the shell prompt will tell you exactly what you downloaded.

And note that it returns "no such file or directory" when the file you run requires an *interpreter* that you do not have installed, such as /usr/bin/python or perl, or ...
    Last edited by drmatt; 2017-05-04 at 02:55.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0

Hi bpa:

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Is the file downloaded marked as executable (i.e. check permissions) ?
    Yes, as mentioned in my point #3 . . .

Hi drmatt:

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    "file ./squeezelite" at the shell prompt will tell you exactly what you downloaded.

And note that it returns "no such file or directory" when the file you run requires an *interpreter* that you do not have installed, such as /usr/bin/python or perl, or ...
    Thanks. Good idea!

command in /SqueezeLite/1.8.6-957 directory: "file ./squeezelite"

result: "./squeezelite: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamical ly linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, for GNU/Linux 2.6.26, BuildID[s ha1]=89b652de43ee1acfcd0666617486cd38539629f3, stripped "

Note that it seems to "prove" the file is executable.

However, thanks to your idea, we now see that it is a 32-bit executable. Odroid-C2 is running 64 bit Ubuntu.

I wonder whether there is something similar to ia32-libs for ARM processors? I think I will have to research that tomorrow.

Meanwhile, perhaps Ralphy could make really clear that the binary on Sourceforge is a 32-bit binary.

Also, if this is really the issue, it might also be time to provide 64-bit binaries. That is the way the world is going, right? :-)
    Last edited by fbachofner; 2017-05-04 at 03:20.

Well indeed. You do not have a 32 bit dynamic loader installed, hence "no such file or directory". I have had similar on a banana pi running binaries built for raspberry pi. The ARM abi has to match. You will probably have to grab sources and compile for yourself.
    Last edited by drmatt; 2017-05-04 at 03:48.
    --

Meanwhile, perhaps Ralphy could make really clear that the binary on Sourceforge is a 32-bit binary.
    If it doesn't specifically state 64 in the filename, as part of the processor name then it's 32-bit.

Also, if this is really the issue, it might also be time to provide 64-bit binaries. That is the way the world is going, right? :-)
    Doesn't the C2 only have 2GB of RAM? A 64-bit OS allows you to efficiently use more than 4GB.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

He's not wrong, the CPU is native 64 bit so you may as well use it that way. Virtual address spaces for badly written software can still take advantage even if you don't actually have more than 4GB physical ram plus swap.

I suspect that you'd wind up supporting both for an extended period, however.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    --