Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Ras Pi/ Wifi Dongle....

Hi all,

Just thinking ahead here( Not Got my Ras Pi yet-On order) Seeing as Ive only got 2 Ethernet sockets on my router..I was thinking I will need an Ethernet switch box to my Router to add my Ras, Tplink PLUG (my Hifi/SBT is upstairs..), Then to my P.C.(Downstairs with router next to it)

Seeing as its going to mean not only a power supply to the Ras, but to the Ethernet box extender... could I just use a WIFI dongle into the ras instead..?? or would you say less stable..Depends on distance..??

Your advice is always welcomed !

If you are going for a RPi3 or RPi0 then they already have WiFi built in ... so you could try that first.
    People report mixed results with it but if it works for you then all is well.

One of the reasons I switched from a PC to an RPi3 was to hard wire it to my router, my WiFi coverage is spotty in places and had problems streaming Spotify to more than one player at a time. My networking gear (Firewall/Router, AP, work VPN router, cable modem, UPS, RPi3) is set up on a shoe rack in the library, hidden behind a table; it's were my internet connection comes in the house. Didn't want the noise of a PC in the room. Other reason was to reduce power since I leave LMS running 24x7. Other bonus is when I come home from a trip late at night, I don't have to reboot because Microsoft installed updates

I would go ahead and try the built in WiFi on the RPi3 first, if you have good WiFi coverage and aren't planning on streaming to more than a couple players at a time, there's a good chance you'll be OK. If it gives you problems, you can always pick up a TPlink 5 port switch for $10; $15 if you want Gigabit Ethernet.
    "You know, I'm all for progress. It's change I object to."
    Mark Twain

LMS 7.9 on Raspberry Pi3 w/200GB SD
    5 Receivers, 1 Boom, 2 Radios, 1 Controller, 1 iPhone & 1 iPad w/iPeng & Squeezebox Apps, 1 Android phone w/Squeezer

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Hi all,

Just thinking ahead here( Not Got my Ras Pi yet-On order) Seeing as Ive only got 2 Ethernet sockets on my router..I was thinking I will need an Ethernet switch box to my Router to add my Ras, Tplink PLUG (my Hifi/SBT is upstairs..), Then to my P.C.(Downstairs with router next to it)

Seeing as its going to mean not only a power supply to the Ras, but to the Ethernet box extender... could I just use a WIFI dongle into the ras instead..?? or would you say less stable..Depends on distance..??

Your advice is always welcomed !
    Which tplink powerline plugs are you using? Some of them have 2 or 3 ethernet connections (i.e have an ethernet switch built in), so can provide the extra ports you need without requiring a separate ethernet switch and power supply.
    For example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passthrough...link+powerline

Quote Originally Posted by utgg View Post
    Which tplink powerline plugs are you using? Some of them have 2 or 3 ethernet connections (i.e have an ethernet switch built in), so can provide the extra ports you need without requiring a separate ethernet switch and power supply.
    For example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passthrough...link+powerline
    I,Do have 2 ethernet ports on my tp link plug (upstairs with A/P, SBT/HIFI)(P.C./ROUTER is downstairs)

Could I therefore run the pi & HD from that ETHERNET PLUG straight into my SBT. UPSTAIRS INSTEAD.?

Of course the Pi3 as wifi built in (I'd forget that!) The guy at a local computer shop said Get a Dongle..He dont sell ras.pis..but you would still of expected him to know that.He also said that setting up a Ras.pi could take up to month..I would have to set up Linux on it and that they were temperamental to failure..(Not a great ambassador for the Pi!)

Another guy said he was talking tosh!
    Correct me if Iam wrong, but isnt Linux OS configured along into PICORE/max2play SD on Download image..? So Isnt that hard to configure. (To be fair some of these computer salesmen dont get how LMS/PICORE ETC.. works anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    I,Do have 2 ethernet ports on my tp link plug (upstairs with A/P, SBT/HIFI)(P.C./ROUTER is downstairs)

Could I therefore run the pi & HD from that ETHERNET PLUG straight into my SBT. UPSTAIRS INSTEAD.?

Of course the Pi3 as wifi built in (I'd forget that!) The guy at a local computer shop said Get a Dongle..He dont sell ras.pis..but you would still of expected him to know that.He also said that setting up a Ras.pi could take up to month..I would have to set up Linux on it and that they were temperamental to failure..(Not a great ambassador for the Pi!)

Another guy said he was talking tosh!
    Correct me if Iam wrong, but isnt Linux OS configured along into PICORE/max2play SD on Download image..? So Isnt that hard to configure. (To be fair some of these computer salesmen dont get how LMS/PICORE ETC.. works anyway)
    Setting up a pi with picoreplayer/max2play requires NO Linux skills whatsoever.

It would be better if you're using the pi to run LMS to have it ethernet wired, not wireless.
    Server - LMS 7.9.1 > Raspberry Pi3/piCorePlayer 3.21, 25K library, cache and playlists on a USB HD (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - RPi 2/Max2Play > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Study - RPi 3/piCorePlayer 3.21 > HiFiBerry DAC+ > CA Minx 5
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - RPi3/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DAC+ > Sharp micro system
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Setting up a pi with picoreplayer/max2play requires NO Linux skills whatsoever.

It would be better if you're using the pi to run LMS to have it ethernet wired, not wireless.
    Yep, here is our Starter Guide detailing the few, simple steps necessary to set up Max2Play.

The LMS should run on both wireless and LAN without major problems. If you have a larger music library, however, it might help having it connected via ethernet cable.

Thanks all for help

Thanks all for help..Just waiting for my pi3 to arrive..