Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

picoreplayer option like shairport but for google cast?

or spotify connect? Basically turn picoreplayer into a chromecast audio.

Not sure if its possible. I'd like to cast from my phone to the picoreplayer squeezlite that is hooked up to my sound system, but we aren't an apple household so can't airplay. Even being a bluetooth audio receiver would do.

A Google Chromecast audio is only a few ú/$ why not just get one and plug that into your sound system as well ?
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    A Google Chromecast audio is only a few £/$ why not just get one and plug that into your sound system as well ?
    Mostly convience... my sound system is a picoreplayer into an MDAC preamp/dac into amp to speakers. i do have both coax and optical inputs (which i didnt know the chromcast audio supported i thought it was hdmi or analog out only which wouldnt work for me) but i still have to change the input on the preamp to the relevant input and dont know a way to do that automatically. if i could get a cast reveiver software on the pi no need as its always on usb for squeezelite. Not a super big deal but the ability to just cast without manual intervention would be nice.

Hi BuddyRich.

As you mentioned 'not an apple household' I assume you use an android phone.
    Still these phones can transmit to airport receivers, like is emulated with shairport in PCP.

So just turn on shairport on the tweaks web page ( advanced as min level ) and get an app like allconnect to stream to your PCP setup.
    And you should be able to input audio from phone though the PCP to your amp and speakers.
    I assume there are more apps, but I only found that 1 app left on my test android.

When I used it a few months ago, I found out it does collide with the LMS output to squeezelite.
    So stop (pause) playback from LMS, wait a few seconds , and then start streaming from your phone.
    to reverse , also give it some time .

According to my short investigations, airplay does allow 'lossless' throughput over the wifi, where BT always has a lossy transmission due to Bandwidth availability. But I might be proven wrong with BT4.x .

Myself I stopped streaming from my phone, It drains too much battery, and I simply transferred all music to the LMS inside my pi.
    But your mileage may vary , and it might suit your needs.

Regards M-H

Quote Originally Posted by M-H View Post
    Hi BuddyRich.

As you mentioned 'not an apple household' I assume you use an android phone.
    Still these phones can transmit to airport receivers, like is emulated with shairport in PCP.

So just turn on shairport on the tweaks web page ( advanced as min level ) and get an app like allconnect to stream to your PCP setup.
    And you should be able to input audio from phone though the PCP to your amp and speakers.
    I assume there are more apps, but I only found that 1 app left on my test android.

When I used it a few months ago, I found out it does collide with the LMS output to squeezelite.
    So stop (pause) playback from LMS, wait a few seconds , and then start streaming from your phone.
    to reverse , also give it some time .

According to my short investigations, airplay does allow 'lossless' throughput over the wifi, where BT always has a lossy transmission due to Bandwidth availability. But I might be proven wrong with BT4.x .

Myself I stopped streaming from my phone, It drains too much battery, and I simply transferred all music to the LMS inside my pi.
    But your mileage may vary , and it might suit your needs.

Regards M-H
    We are an android house (though we have an 3rd gen AppleTV and iPads-I also used to be an iphone guy).

I actually thought about airplay emulation as well. I will turn on shairport for those with iphones anyway though I have to upgrade pcp - im still rocking piCorePlayer 1.21b- but its been rock solid so I don't want to mess with a good thing. My uptime is close to 300 days currently (since the last power outage here).

I want the casting functionality as it was really more for quick demos from friends that want to output a demo to the system easily without having to install an app to do so... Its not for fulltime listening.

Take a look at the plugins for LMS. Then you wouldn't have to change your players.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Take a look at the plugins for LMS. Then you wouldn't have to change your players.
    I was looking at the various xxxxxxBridge plugins, but they seem to do the reverse of what I want. Actually the one that turns LMS into a DNLA/uPNP renderer might work, I'd just need to us a uPNP player on android...

Unless you mean adding Shairport support via plugin (Shairtunes?) vs. upgrading pcp... I could do that but there has been a few new versions of pcp now, its time to upgrade (though I'll use a new SD card and go back to the old if things go terribly wrong), not sure if its better to add it at the server (LMS level) or at the player level via pcp. I would imagine syncronization amongst players would be possible at the server level.

I think for casting support the chromecast audio is probably the easiest way, even with a bit of manual intervention. I never knew google locked it down so much needing pairing keys and a phone home check to work, making the protocol harder to emulate. I thought it was more like airplay.