Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Why not use mysqueezebox.com and play a radio station ?

Transducers (speakers, headphones) can maybe benefit , from this . Electronics not so much .

Otherwise it's usually the user that gets "burned in" as one slowly acclimate one self to the new component
    Can you prove it?
    ------------------------------

Then why do electronics manufacturers have "burn in racks"???
    Why do you check, and often readjust voltages after first run of several hours, of newly built electronics???

If electronics eventually "wear out"... how can it be that they don't "wear-in"... or wear at all.... IE: have a useful life where they change according to a curve?

In this case, its for headphones.... very very stiff diaphrams..

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    Can you prove it?
    ------------------------------

Then why do electronics manufacturers have "burn in racks"???
    Why do you check, and often readjust voltages after first run of several hours, of newly built electronics???

If electronics eventually "wear out"... how can it be that they don't "wear-in"... or wear at all.... IE: have a useful life where they change according to a curve?

In this case, its for headphones.... very very stiff diaphrams..
    Electronics manufacturers, we do burn-in (at elevated T░ often) to cause early failure for components that have a potential problem. Wafer processes have variability and that creates transistors or metal layers not in spec. It's reliability and sorting, not to adjust parametrics
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2017-05-14 at 09:33.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Electronics manufacturers, we do burn-in (at elevated T░ often) to cause early failure for components that have a potential problem. Wafer processes have variability and that creates transistors or metal layers not in spec. It's reliability and sorting, not to adjust parametrics
    Why you've made the very point for me!
    The point was not that burn in is done to "adjust parametrics".... but rather...
    During burn in... THINGS CHANGE!!!!

To cause early failure for components that have a potential problem
    It..(burn in) would not DO that..... if it didn't cause things to change!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    Why you've made the very point for me!
    The point was not that burn in is done to "adjust parametrics".... but rather...
    During burn in... THINGS CHANGE!!!!

It..(burn in) would not DO that..... if it didn't cause things to change!!!!!!!!!!
    That's a misunderstanding of the nature of digital & semiconductors. That's the same problem, for example, with digital communication vs analogue. Once I have information that takes a finite set of values to transmit, I'm adding an error code (block, convolutional) and then analogue part of the method I'm using to transmitting these finite set values + error code and the variations that happen in that analogue process do not matter. I can use light, modulation of RF, sound, smoke ... In case of smoke, I'll see the color of the smoke and I'll make a weigthed decision to know if this is back or white - then I'm going to pass that through my error correcting code and I'll know if I have X errors and if I can recover them or not. But if the result is no error, the smoke can have been very gray in general, or well differentiated between black and white, it does not matter. If the smoke is very gray, I'll have more case where I'll know that what I've received in incorrect, so I'd need to add a longer error correcting code - that's all

That's the same for semis. Of course things change, over time, temperature, voltage ... but the analogue nature of the change does not change the result in any sort of linear way. Burn-in is to make components pass or fail, not to make them reach their normal operating mode.

I'm not saying that nothing shall be subject to burn-in of course, I'm saying that for the digital part of semi-conductors, it is not a parameteric exercise.
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2017-05-20 at 15:03.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express