Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 7 of 79 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Boot piCorePlayer from a USB drive

Hi,

I have prepared my Raspberry Pi 3 for boot from a USB drive. Installation of piCorePlayer on the USB drive was no problem. The system is booting without any problems, Player is running. If I now change from analog output to hifiberry DAC+ than the squeezelite is not running after reboot. Manual start is also not possible.
    I plan to mount the raspberry in a DIY case. The RJ45 and USB ports of the raspberry are available on the back-panel. From my point of view, boot piCorePlayer from USB drive would be a great benefit. Is there any chance to get this working?

Cheers
    J├Ârg

Quote Originally Posted by bsergiu View Post
    Hi Mike,

I also have been fighting to get the shairport running, and it works without pops, but with some tricks. You need to place a config file called shairport-sync.conf under the /usr/local/etc - see the last part of the output of your shairport-sync -V command. The newest versions of the shairport-sync are to be configured like that. In this config file, you basically need to disable synchronization (this causes pops in the sound, because the RPi cpu cannot always keep-up with the load of the resync algorythm), also give it a 1 sec buffer, plus some other tweeks. I am attaching my config file here, try to copy this under the location mentioned. If you want this to survive over reboots, add the file name in the /opt/.filetool.lst (skip the first slash in the path!) and run sudo filetool.sh -b.

If you want the sample config file of shairport-sync, with all settings commented out, check this: https://github.com/mikebrady/shairpo...port-sync.conf

I hope this helps getting a pleasent airplai listening experience.

Thanks,

Sergiu
    Sergiu,

Many thanks for a superb response. I followed your instructions and managed to get shairport-sync working BUT:

1) I can direct shairport audio through the ALSA equaliser by changing the following line in the config file:

output_device = "equal";

This only works if the shairport-sync process is run from root. Running as the tc user produces no audio output.

Setting the output_device to my USB DAC (sysdefault:CARD=VX1), I can run shairport-sync as the tc user and get audio output. Strange...

2) How can I get the default invocation of shairport-sync to use the config file exclusively rather than setting parameters on the command line?

Restarting shairport-sync via the webgui, the cmdline looks like:

/usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync -a HiPi -o alsa -S soxr -d -D -R --metadata-pipename=/tmp/shairport-sync-metadata --get-coverart -- -d $USBOUTPUT

which produces no audio as the output device is incorrect.

To get audio, I just use a plain /usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync with no cmdine arguments (since they come from the config file!!)

Can I edit the default shairport-sync invocation cmdline anywhere?

Many thanks for your help,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sbp View Post
    could you poste the content of /tmp/dropdown.cfg

steen
    The Content is:

Analog:selected:Analog audio:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
    HDMI:notselected:HDMI audio:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
    USB:notselected:USB audio:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
    allo_boss_dac:notselected:Allo Boss DAC:HAT_ALL
    allo_piano_dac:notselected:Allo Piano DAC:HAT_ALL
    allo_piano_dac_plus:notselected:Allo Piano DAC Plus 2.1/2.2:HAT_ALL
    dion_loco_dac:notselectedion Audio LOCO:HAT_ALL
    ess9023:notselected:ESS9023 DAC:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
    generic_ess:notselected:Generic/simple ESS9023 DAC:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
    generic_ti:notselected:Generic/simple TI5102 DAC:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
    hifi_amp:notselected:HiFiBerry AMP (and +):HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
    hifi_dac+:notselected:HiFiBerry DAC+ (and Pro):HAT_ALL
    hifi_dac+_light:notselected:HiFiBerry DAC+ Light:HAT_ALL
    hifi_dac:notselected:HiFiBerry DAC Zero/MiniAMP:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
    hifi_digi:notselected:HiFiBerry Digi and Digi+:HAT_ALL
    hifi_digi_pro:notselected:HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro:HAT_ALL
    iq_amp:notselected:IQaudIO AMP+:HAT_ALL
    iq_dac+:notselected:IQaudIO DAC+:HAT_ALL
    iq_dac:notselected:IQaudIO DAC:ALL_NO_HAT
    iq_digi+:notselected:IQaudIO DIGI+:HAT_ALL
    isabre_9023:notselected:I-Sabre-ES9023 DAC:HAT_ALL
    justboom_dac:notselected:JustBoom DAC/AMP (and Zero/AMP):HAT_ALL
    justboom_digi:notselected:JustBoom Digi (and Zero):HAT_ALL
    mambo_hifi:notselected:Mamboberry-HiFi-DAC+:HAT_ALL
    raspidac3:notselected:RaspiDAC Rev.3x:HAT_ALL
    rpi_dac:notselected:RPi DAC:HAT_ALL

Looks like the list has more entry then the webgui wants to show me...

Ice

could you poste the content of /tmp/dropdown.cfg

steen
    This is the Content:

Looks like the webgui don't want to show me all the entries from the list...

Ice

Quote Originally Posted by tingtong5 View Post
    However I do have one issue, when switching between albums there is this loud digital crack, which I am afraid might damage my expensive tweeters. It does not happen when skipping to the next track within the same album. Can this be an issue of picoreplayer? Is there a possibiliy to mute output during silence, like a cd player does?
    Is there sample rate changes between the two albums. But no we don't have a provision to mute the dac between tracks, that is normally handled in the DAC driver or the DAC itself.

Quote Originally Posted by icebreaker View Post
    This is the Content:

Looks like the webgui don't want to show me all the entries from the list...

Ice
    Fine then I'm pretty sure that you only have to refresh the webpage. Did you ever try the ctrl F5 that I suggested?

steen
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

pCP 3.20 - Hifiberry AMP+ - not playing certain radio streams anymore after update

Hi!

I've been happily using pCP for a few months now. As I'm living in the Netherlands, I tend to listen to this station a lot: icecast.omroep.nl/3fm-bb-mp3

However, since upgrading to 3.20 (regular), I'm not able to hear any audio from this stream anymore (or from associated stations). I can see that squeezelite connects to the stream and receives data, as the artist & title in the display are updated. As said, however, there is NO sound.

I went back to 3.11 and updated squeezelite to the same version as in 3.20 and the streams are audible, so it's not an issue in squeezelite itself (1.8.6-957). Also other streams and MP3 files played through LMS are audible as usual on 3.20. So it seems to be specific to these stations.

What can I do to analyze/resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Ard
    Last edited by avdleeuw; 2017-05-10 at 03:19.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Is there sample rate changes between the two albums. But no we don't have a provision to mute the dac between tracks, that is normally handled in the DAC driver or the DAC itself.
    No, all files are 44.1 kHz, however I do use squeezelite upsampling options, but it also is always the same (176,4 kHz).

There is no DAC driver in this case, since I am using I2S connection.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDaPsych View Post
    Sergiu,

Many thanks for a superb response. I followed your instructions and managed to get shairport-sync working BUT:

1) I can direct shairport audio through the ALSA equaliser by changing the following line in the config file:

output_device = "equal";

This only works if the shairport-sync process is run from root. Running as the tc user produces no audio output.

Setting the output_device to my USB DAC (sysdefault:CARD=VX1), I can run shairport-sync as the tc user and get audio output. Strange...

2) How can I get the default invocation of shairport-sync to use the config file exclusively rather than setting parameters on the command line?

Restarting shairport-sync via the webgui, the cmdline looks like:

/usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync -a HiPi -o alsa -S soxr -d -D -R --metadata-pipename=/tmp/shairport-sync-metadata --get-coverart -- -d $USBOUTPUT

which produces no audio as the output device is incorrect.

To get audio, I just use a plain /usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync with no cmdine arguments (since they come from the config file!!)

Can I edit the default shairport-sync invocation cmdline anywhere?

Many thanks for your help,

Mike
    Hi Mike,

I am glad it helped. Indeed, the command line params supersede the config file. That means, your output setting in the config file does not count if you run it with the script provided per default.
    Ralphy was kind enough to compile the latest version of the shairport-sync, i.e. 3.20, however he did not manage yet to switch to a complete config-based shairport-sync installation. I was asking him also if possible to remove all command line params and introduce the config file by default. I guess this will be there in the near future. In the meanwhile, what you can do is create somewhere a start script which just starts shairport-sync as a daemon, with no other params (caution, I am talking about the shairport-sync executable, not the script under /usr/local/etc/init.d). Secure this script by adding it's filename in the /opt/.filetool.sh and running sudo filetool.sh -b afterwards. Ensure that at startup, the previous shairport-sync is killed and your script is launched. You can do so by adding a command to kill it sudo shairport-sync -k and a commandline to launch your script under /opt/bootlocal.sh. And then, of course, the magic incantation: sudo filetool.sh -b.

I have to say that I have tried this myself with previous versions of piCorePlayer, where I added shairport manually, as it was not there. It should work though with the latest piCoreplayer version, as this is still a standard mechanism.

One more thing: I do not think that you need to start shairport-sync as root in order to work with the config. The point is, that the WebGui starts the script /usr/local/etc/init.d/shairport-sync, which has the command line params and causes your config file settings to be partially ignored (overlapping settings are ignored). When you start it manually by typing shairport-sync, it starts the real executable under /usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync, and since you do not pass all those params as command line, it takes the config file completely into account, and thus your desired output settings. This is why I gave the hint above to start the executable, not the .../init.d/shairport-sync script.

I hope this helps,

Sergiu

PS: @Ralphy: Can you please simply remove the command line params (except the daemon one) from the start script and include the file that Ihave shared? Thanks a lot in advance!
    Last edited by bsergiu; 2017-05-10 at 09:33.

Fine then I'm pretty sure that you only have to refresh the webpage. Did you ever try the ctrl F5 that I suggested?

steen
    Yes I have tried a few times to refresh with ctrl + f5.
    Can I do the setting over ssh? So then I don't care if it's only a gui "bug".

Edit: I have also tried with Firefox and Chrome

Ice
    Last edited by icebreaker; 2017-05-10 at 11:06.