Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    Why bother starting such a thread there? It'll turn into a total bitch-fest. (Unless the conversation switches to cars, then everyone will love each other)
    So that we can keep the bitchfests contained to that area, and keep this part evidence-based.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

You know it's funny, when I first came to this forum 4 years ago, I claimed the opposite. An audiophile friend of mine convinced me that the Touch, via TinySBS, sounded better. I can't remember his exact reasoning (probably something to do with no outside connections or wifi) so I went with it and used the Touch for 6 months via the internal server. When I mentioned my friends claims on this forum, my post got lambasted from critics who stated that running a server (LMS) would sound better.

So I begrudgingly bought a router and network cables and installed LMS on my PC. Even though I had no desire to run my Touch this way I realized right away that the folks here were correct. Even if the sound quality was only marginally better, I would have gone back to a standalone Touch. But with the increased transparency alone, there was no going back.

I suggest you do your own comparisons.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...improved-sound
    Last edited by Fizbin; 2017-05-02 at 14:04.

Use an external DAC then it doesn't matter one jot what server you run it off or what you plug into the USB on the SBT.........

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

In case anyone else is thinking of doing this (replacing a standard hard-drive by an SSD plugged directly into a Touch) I just want to confirm that it was well worth doing and is faster to search for music than it was before. The sound is still great, as it was before.