Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Large Backups on a Cloud

Hello everyone

Amazon are now offering unlimited storage for ú55 p.a in the UK, and they accept lossless music files. So the idea of having a cloud backup is more attractive.

I have 3TB of music, it's going to take forever to upload it via my phone line -- I doubt it's feasible.

Is there a one off fast upload service from anyone? Someone who I could send a hard drive to and they do the upload for me for a fee?

Took me about a week to upload 2TB to exactly that service using my BT fibre line. Tedious but doable. And next time the incremental backups are trivia to send up to the cloud.

Amazon can do media-based ingest to S3, but a) you pay for it and b) it's not Drive. Otherwise find a friend with a good upload speed...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Oh good, thout sounds promising.

Is there a backup utility? Something that will check for changes and upload them, things like changes to metadata.

No, there are no utilities for accessing Drive, I scripted backups to large files using dar on my Linux box then just copied the files to a Windows box to drag and drop to Drive. AFAIK there is no API to access Drive directly yet, so nothing going for automatic updates etc.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    AFAIK there is no API to access Drive directly yet, so nothing going for automatic updates etc.
    Does this not work ? https://developers.google.com/drive/.../simple-upload

Awesome, that's new. They didn't publish anything like that when I I started using it.

https://developers.google.com/drive/...sumable-upload

This looks like what I want.. (2GB blobs are impractical to restart from scratch each time.. )
    Last edited by drmatt; 2017-05-01 at 05:15.
    --

Also some examples of using the API.
    https://github.com/googledrive

Ehm, aren't we confusing GOOGLE drive and AMAZON drive here?

Back to Amazon Drive:
    rclone seems to support it, and it has a "check" function that compares file hashes allowing you to skip files that calculate as identical.
    Last edited by bakker_be; 2017-05-01 at 06:56. Reason: Added on-topic info ...
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004; TMA Premium 905; TMA Premium 901; BK Monolith+ FF; HDI Dune Smart D1; Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Car: BananaPi LMS + Squeezeplayer on Android phone - Controller TBD ...

Amazon have a desktop app which will allow you to synch to a folder on your C drive. It will NOT allow you to synch to a folder on an external hard drive (so no good for me)

I tried to upload via the web interface several times but it crashed for my big "downloads" folder. It worked for one or two small files.

I just started an upload of the whole folder via the windows 10 app and so far so good, will report back.

Is there any reason why you prefer to backup to the cloud rather than backing up to external HDDs which are under your control?
    Touch, Meridian G92, Meridian G55, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.