Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    Ever since they stopped allowing the use of rclone, I've been investigating alternatives. This is just another factor prompting a switch. Since I only need a backup solution I intend to try Crashplan ...
    I love that I learned about rclone mere days before it was banned. But that ban got me to immediately request non-renewal of my ACD account. I signed up with hubiC, which works just fine with rclone, but my multi-terabyte library is currently on day five of the backup process. I don't think it's painfully slow, it's just not blazingly fast.

I also use CrashPlan, but "painfully slow" definitely applies. The price and feature set are fantastic, but it's definitely something you use AFTER you have your local backup figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    I see the appeal for backup, but unless it's automatically mirrored -which I haven't seen in cheaper storage- I don't see the appeal for everyday operations.
    I run rclone to hubiC wrapped in a shell script. I haven't scheduled it yet because the first full backup hasn't completed, but I intend to.

hi,
    like some of you i have 2 HP microservers , one with unraid (nas server) , one under Slackware ( lms, mail server, imap server, calendar server , etc..) .
    the lms is connected thru SMB to the unraid.

everyday a backup is done to an attached external drive. (total on monday, incremental other day, 4 weeks kept)

i have also a raspberry pi 3 (in a different room) as a rcp server (using raspbian) with also an attached external drive formatted exfat.
    so i do a rcp (remote copy) from the unraid to the the pi.

Pascal

Crashplan user

Quote Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
    I use Crashplan as part of tiered backup strategy, and have done for past five years or so. It's $60 p.a. for unlimited encrypted storage for one PC, so a little cheaper than Amazon with current exchange rates, but backup specific. They will backup anything 'local' to a licensed machine, and provide a sensible background backup application (backup sets, file version retention including deleted files, etc.). Their app will also allow backup to other PCs including across the net, so if you have friend with a 24/7 server.... (their free version has this capability - you only pay for central cloud services).

I've found it reliable and it's saved my bacon on more than one occasion. I find it quicker to find/restore the odd file from the cloud, than go to local backups. However, full disk restores are much quicker from physical drives. In my server I use a disk pooling app with file duplication as well and have found that this has taken care of wholesale disk failures - Crashplan helps me when I've done something stupid and haven't noticed at the time (deleted the wrong file and so on).

I wouldn't contemplate remote backup without a fast internet connection, and at the moment my unlimited fibre connection isn't so fast that I'd be prepared to do without local backups either. I'm not sure that the cloud backup would work well from a machine that is only on for short periods.

Chris
    Another Crashplan user here, I have 2.5TB backed up. As mentioned already, the software runs in the background, does incremental backups, its throttled. The original backup took about 3 months, 24/7, as I throttled the uplink to 500KB, but it was eventually done. Incremental backups, especially for flac (I do not backup movies) do not require much time, I'm throttling at 250KB 24/7 - this is far from fibre but gets the job done and it does not affect my web usage experience. CrashPlan desktop app provides a control on the uplink speed. I'm also with an ISP provider where upload does not count against your bandwidth.

If you are in US, you can mail a harddrive for an initial, seed backup, there are restrictions for mailing hard drives across borders so I did not bother.

I had to recover a small portion of my files once and it was very easy, painless experience.

I'm on linux and there were some changes to be made to config files to allow more than 2TB of backup data but there was enough support from CrashPlan to do so.

Overall I'm quite happy with this solution, I have reduced much of the backup clutter that I had after moving to a smaller place. And unless CrashPlan crashes, I don't have to worry about hard drive crashes :-)
    George

Transporter->Pathos Logos->Triangle Celius
    Touch->Denon AVRS530BT -> Paradigm Monitor 7
    2 Duets, 1 SB3, 1 Touch, 1 Radio, Transporter
    OnePlus3 -> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, NAD Viso
    2 servers -> Ubuntu Linux, NUC and Synology 1 Bay

I have very positive feelings about Backblaze. Once the initial backup is made you set the controls to automatic and subsequent backups occur automatically and slowly in the background, and with no noticeable effects on the computer or network. It took 3 weeks to upload 2TB.

Upload speeds slow down in the initial upload the more you upload. That's because there's a "deduplication" programme which has more to check. The more RAM the better of course. Mine took no time at all for the first third, the last third went up at about 100GB or less in 24 hours. It's not a real problem, apart from my impatience. My upload speeds seemed to average at about 15mbps. The computer was still usable but the UI became arthritic. But streaming music from it was fine as was a virus check.

Music files are particularly slow to upload because Backblaze makes a copy of any file over 30MB before uploading.

Customer service is excellent and the UI is simple.

There are some setting adjustments worth making for the initial upload - throttle to max and no. of threads to max.
    Last edited by mandryka; 2017-06-23 at 22:55.

Quote Originally Posted by mandryka View Post
    I have very positive feelings about Backblaze. Once the initial backup is made you set the controls to automatic and subsequent backups occur automatically and slowly in the background, and with no noticeable effects on the computer or network. It took 3 weeks to upload 2TB.
    Thanks for the update! How much are you paying for 2TB?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ftlight View Post
    Thanks for the update! How much are you paying for 2TB?

Bill
    ú50 pa